HP Pavilion won't take operating system on new hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

cableman

I had to replace the hard drive in my sisters hp pavilion dv5000 laptop and I can't get any windows version installed. I have installed os's before but these hp's are aggravating.

It originally came with windows media center 2005 but all the operating systems I download won't work. I know how to burn an iso image properly but I don't think these that I have downloaded are true oem isos because I keep getting the message that this is not a genuine installation disc.

It will format and try to start installing but won't fully install because of this problem.

I eventually get the message "NTLDR is missing" . Can anyone help? To order an original media center installation disc will cost around $100.00 and I am becoming unsure if that will work so I need some advice. Please help. Thanks in advance

Any XP version install disc will work with this laptop. You must create an .iso image from a known good source, like an actual XP install CD. "NTLDR is missing" means that the hard drive is not bootable because of a corrupted Master Boot Record. Make sure that the hard drive is good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back