HTC filmed a rap video to diss its rivals and it's as bad as you think

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Smartphone vendors have used all sorts of promotions and marketing gimmicks to advertise their wares but this rap video from HTC may be the strangest yet.

The video, which features PM Dawn’s Doc G with the help of HTC’s own D 2 tha B (otherwise known as David Bruce), is for a song called Hold the Crown. The lyrics are laughably bad as the vocalist takes swings at Apple (your phone was all glass, why you change your tune now?) and Samsung (we own the universe, your Galaxy is overrated). It only gets worse as it goes on.

Gorilla Glass 3, Duo Sensor, dual speakers,
HTC is MVP your smartphone's on the bleachers,
Internal battery strong,
But if my power's low,
I stay alive with Extreme Power Saving Mode

You get it all here – poor choreography, cheap-looking video effects, the aforementioned cheesy lyrics and people dressed as cardboard smartphones battling it out.

While I applaud the effort to be different and appeal to a younger generation, it’s hard to see how anyone at HTC thought this was a good idea. Of course, I was singing the same tune (no pun intended) back in 2013 when HTC partnered with Funny or Die to create a short-form comedy sketch for the launch of the HTC One.

htc apple samsung smartphone htc one m8 rap htc rap

In that piece, James Van Der Beek starred in a parody of The Bachelor with eligible contestants – Smart Phone, Flip Phone, Rotary Phone and ‘90s Phone – all vying for his heart.

Permalink to story.

This cacophony that some people loosely term as music was excruciatingly painful to endure but at least I got halfway through the video before calling it quits and reaching for the Valoid.

Last edited:
"While I applaud the effort to be different and appeal to a younger generation, it’s hard to see how anyone at HTC thought this was a good idea."

Um am I the only person who thinks this video is SUPPOSED to be terrible? kind of a parody or something?

"While I applaud the effort to be different and appeal to a younger generation, it’s hard to see how anyone at HTC thought this was a good idea."

Um am I the only person who thinks this video is SUPPOSED to be terrible? kind of a parody or something?

The only parody in this video was the form on those presses. The rest, I'm afraid, was quite serious.

I think the whole point of the video is to look cheap and be cheesy.

You see, now techspot and a whole bunch of sites is giving them free marketting.

(And if the weight lifting cardboard phones didn't give it up nor the little white dude in a rap video, you have issues, also I laughed my *** out, because you know, the idea was to take it lightly and not to fall in love with the theme...)

I think the whole point of the video is to look cheap and be cheesy.

You see, now techspot and a whole bunch of sites is giving them free marketting.

I thought the same thing. it might be dumb, but here are talking about it, and that means HTC is in more people's heads.

I think the ridiculing headline can be explained by the noticing the author. Shawn's stories are usually meant to either prop up Apple, rip on anything that isn't Apple, or otherwise just sound sensational for click-throughs. This story fits 2 of those 3.

Clearly a joke, nothing to be taken seriously, funny as all hell. I felt I had to immediately link the video to my mate with an M 8, he found it as hilarious as I. So in my opinion the video accomplished at least one goal, it gave us something to laugh about for the day, tomorrow it will be forgotten and irrelevant much like all YouTube videos. If you don't understand the satirical aspect of the video then that's just too bad, think of it as something South Park or along those lines would make and it begins to make much more sense. As Kibaruk already pointed out, little white dude in the rap video, really should be nuff said right there.

Well done HTC... Gr8 message in the lyrics, very good beats.... I got it. It's a shame many here didn't. If I were a fanboy I wouldn't either. I own a Nokia Btw.:)

I watch a lot of comedies and parodies, this was obviously suppose to be a funny video. I enjoyed it. I guess if you take it seriously, it gives you an excuse to write an article.

I have to say I find it a bit sad that HTC went for comedy and parody or w.e that was supposed to be.

They WERE one of the firsts, and had a small smartphone long before the iphone even was unveiled. I still remember looking at phone catalogs where you had the old bricky nokia phones side by side with this new wonderful giant colour screen device with a slide out keyb.

Back then everyone was saying what a dumb idea a touchscreen would be.. funny when you think back about it.

Yeah people are acting like this is supposed to be serious, it's not. Anyway the video made me cringe.

Back