HTC goes after price-sensitive markets with a plastic version of the One M8

Shawn Knight

Staff member

htc

What’s left to accomplish once your flagship smartphone is on the market? Tackle price-sensitive markets, of course! That’s exactly what HTC plans to do with a new budget-minded version of the One M8 flagship referred to as the HTC One E8.

With the E8, HTC has ditched the premium metallic housing in favor of a cheaper polycarbonate unibody case that’ll be available in four different colors: blue, red, black and white.

htc

HTC has also removed the rear UltraPixel camera with depth sensing technology from the mix, instead outfitting it with a standard 13-megapixel shooter. The internal infrared blaster used to transform the M8 into a remote control also got the axe.

In the absence of those features, HTC has added a second SIM card slot and replaced the front-facing camera with a 5-megapixel wide-angle snapper that’s better suited for selfies.

Fortunately, most of the internal hardware that makes up the M8 remains including the speedy quad-core Snapdragon 801 SoC, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, a microSDXC card slot, the BoomSound speakers and a 2,600mAh battery. It all comes to life through a 5-inch full HD display running Android 4.4 Kit Kat with Sense 6.0 overlay.

The HTC One E8 is launching later this month in select markets including China where it’ll be priced at around $450. At present, there are no plans to bring the E8 to US or European markets.

Permalink to story.

Now this is more like it, they've ditched nothing that was essential or even necessary as far as I'm concerned, in fact they could've even made it a bit smaller. I hope it comes to my country pretty soon because if it does it could make a great alternative to the yet to be announced SGS5 mini which would pique my interest.

HTC has been doing well. I wish I got the Nexus 5 or HTC over my S4 :3 Well last time I spend nearly 600 good ol ''shillings'' on a phone.

It seems to be the modern equivalent of the HTC smart-phone I currently use HTC Sensation XL. Shame it is not coming to Europe.

Back