Huawei delays launch of Mate X to avoid Galaxy Fold-style issues

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Samsung isn’t the only company whose foldable phone has been delayed. Huawei’s rival Mate X device is also being pushed back as the company wants to spend more time making sure the hardware is faultless.

Following the disastrous Galaxy Fold launch, which saw the handset delayed from its April launch and with no new release date in sight, Huawei wants to avoid a similar situation occurring with the Mate X. The Chinese firm told CNBC and The Wall Street Journal that the phone’s July launch date has now been pushed back to September to ensure the folding mechanism works as intended and that apps are compatible with the device when it's opened out.

“We don’t want to launch a product to destroy our reputation,” a spokesperson for Huawei told CNBC.

Tech reviewers found the gap between the Galaxy Fold's display and body at the hinge was allowing debris to enter, causing damage to the display. Additionally, some people were removing the screen membrane after mistaking it for a regular screen protector. The phone’s launch was subsequently postponed, and over 45 days later, we've only just heard that a new release date would be announced in the “coming weeks.”

While the Mate X has a different, arguably better out-folding design that turns the single, 8-inch display into a smartphone, Huawei still wants to ensure it ships with no Galaxy Fold-like problems.

With Huawei currently on a US entity list preventing US firms doing business with the firm without a license, there are questions over whether the Mate X will ship with Android. A spokesperson told CNBC it would have Google’s OS because the handset was launched before the ban, though the Wall Street Journal says this isn’t set in stone and the Mate X might ship with Huawei’s own operating system.

Earlier this week, it was reported that Huawei had indefinitely postponed the launch of a new MateBook laptop due to its US troubles.

Permalink to story.

You might have missed the news.. Huawei can't use GooglePlay nor any of Google's services because of the ban. Android is effectively not a viable option to them anymore. Huawei will soon go the way of the dodo bird.

WOW... apple execs must be laughing themselves to sleep.

So much for folding smartphones huh?

You might have missed the news.. Huawei can't use GooglePlay nor any of Google's services because of the ban. Android is effectively not a viable option to them anymore. Huawei will soon go the way of the dodo bird.

Actually, it is YOU who has missed the news. Huawei is not the only manufacturer of square, foldable devices. How about you have a look at the Samsung Galaxy Fold and the Royole FlexPai.

First of all, the word is "nonetheless", not "none-the-less" but you get one mark for trying. Second, the statement from QuantumPhysics is, "Can't wait to see how Android apps will adapt to a big square folding tablet with a less than standard exterior LCD display", which is sufficiently generalisable to all "square" devices - including those from Samsung, Royole, (unknown) future manufacturers and, of course, Huawei. There is no mention of Huawei in the statement. Sadly, you can apparently see the word Huawei in that short sentence, albeit that it does not exist. You must have word ESP /s

First of all, the word is "nonetheless", not "none-the-less" but you get one mark for trying. Second, the statement from QuantumPhysics is, "Can't wait to see how Android apps will adapt to a big square folding tablet with a less than standard exterior LCD display", which is sufficiently generalisable to all "square" devices - including those from Samsung, Royole, (unknown) future manufacturers and, of course, Huawei. There is no mention of Huawei in the statement. Sadly, you can apparently see the word Huawei in that short sentence, albeit that it does not exist. You must have word ESP /s
It'll probably work the same way they do on tablets

This format is good for web browsing and office apps, but what a shame it is completely useless for movies.
Think of huge area wasted for black bars. They should have kept that in mind.

Oh, that was adorable. Misguided, but adorable none-the-less. Huawei is on it's way out and it's their own fault.
Actually, neither Webster's nor the Cambridge dictionary will return a definition on or as, "none-the-less". So, IMO, that's just 2 wasted keystrokes since any off the definitions returned from other sources with "none-the-less" as the spelling, are nevertheless, identical to the "nonetheless" iteration.
First of all, the word is "nonetheless", not "none-the-less" but you get one mark for trying.
Believe it or not, Opera's spell checker doesn't red line "none-the-less", so make of that what you will.

Wth that said spell check is sort of adamant about inserting dashes in compound words which in common usage, are sometimes combined. One glaring example is "smartphone", which actually was inducted into the dictionary as a single word, (IIRC), sometime last year.

Can't wait to see how Android apps will adapt to a big square folding tablet with a less than standard exterior LCD display.
You know in many markets very common in Asia they don't use Google Play already? And that Android is open source? Which means that Huawei can use it anyway but they just won't be on bleeding edge with Google releases. Also a company the size and support of Huawei can easily replace the core missing apps that not being able to access Google directly would leave as a void.

Huawei is losing western markets. That is the cost. It's hardly terminal. They have a MASSIVE market in China.

You really shouldn't take it upon yourself to.critique anyone else's English. since it would seem you're making it up as you go along. While it's true that "generalizable" does exist in American English, but spelled with a "Z" in place of the "S". (I know this is a common difference between the "English of the crown", and our American vernacular). Although IMO, "applicable", "in general apply", or "would attach to" (to all square devices), would have been much better choices with respect to cadence..

With that bring said, (again IMHO), this folding phone "craze", is nothing but marketing sleaze bags, in an all out propaganda push to cause customers for once and all time, to hopelessly confuse "want" with "need", and suck the last bit of cash out of their wallets, and the last vestiges of rational thought and intelligence out of their heads.

And again IMHO, current material science still has its limits, and one of them being that pixel walls getting bent and distorted 50 times a day, will never survive as long as those which don't suffer the same abuse.

Not to mention the cold cruel fact that any maker's folding phone won't have upwards social status attached to it, until it carries the Apple logo. But god knows, if Apple does release their version, you'll probably get a few dozen "friend requests" on Facebook each day, just for the mere fact of owning one, even if it doesn't work.

Last edited:
First you said, "You really shouldn't take it upon yourself to.critique anyone else's English."

And then you critiqued my English with, "since it would seem you're making it up as you go along. While it's true that "generalizable" does exist in American English, but spelled with a "Z" in place of the "S". (I know this is a common difference between the "English of the crown", and our American vernacular). Although IMO, "applicable", "in general apply", or "would attach to" (to all square devices), would have been much better choices with respect to cadence.."

Here's two new words for you - "irony" and "hypocrisy".

In my earlier post, I made no mention regarding the spelling of generalisable and so I've no idea about the point of your discussion. As for your comment about me "making it up" as I go, it is clearly apparent that it is you who is so doing.

Given the foregoing, I didn't bother reading the remainder of your post.

...[ ].....Given the foregoing, I didn't bother reading the remainder of your post.
To my good fortune, it would seem. It was enough trying to sort through through the part of it which you did read, but were unable to quote properly. At least in the fashion normally accepted stylistically with this forum's software.

As for "irony" and hypocrisy", I'm not exactly sure how that attaches to me, nor are the terms new to me.

My suggestion for you, would be to go back to your argument with @Error! about grammar. I personally have had my interest piqued, as to which one of you is the most "adorable", as referenced @ Mr.Error's post #7. I eagerly await the outcome. This is turning out better and more exhilarating than being on a roller coaster ride with a special needs group... :rolleyes:.

Oh by the way, using Merriam Webster's dictionary as my reference, "generalizable", does in fact spell with a "Z", instead of an "S".

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/generalize

Accordingly, when you get your $2,000+ foldable tablet, you can search to your heart's content for other words with which you imagine I might be unfamiliar. (Just trying to stay on topic).

Last edited:
As for "irony" and hypocrisy", . . . , nor are the terms new to me.

Yes, on reflection, I dare say many a person has used those words in describing you.

To my good fortune, it would seem. It was enough trying to sort through through the part of it which you did read, but were unable to quote properly. At least in the fashion normally accepted stylistically with this forum's software.

I directly quoted your words. If you cannot understand what you wrote, well, that's on you. Perhaps, you might seek the assistance of an adult.

Accordingly, when you get your $2,000+ foldable tablet, you can search to your heart's content for other words with which you imagine I might be unfamiliar. (Just trying to stay on topic).

I cannot even begin to understand how or why you would think that I desire a Samsung device of any kind, let alone a Fold. I've owned three Samsung devices, and my experience with each was horrid. My worst experience was with a Samsung computer monitor with an HDMI input; an HDMI input purposefully designed not to work with a computer. I'll repeat that, I unwittingly bought a Samsung COMPUTER monitor with an HDMI input designed NOT to work with a COMPUTER.

Overall, I am flabbergasted at your distinct inability to follow any conversation.

Do enjoy your day.

@onestepforward Oh look, you're all grown up, and you figured out how to do a quote and reply all by yourself.. "Hooray", I suppose is what you would feel appropriate and earned?

Yes, on reflection, I dare say many a person has used those words in describing you.
Why does every noob come blasting through here, feeling as if they have the mandate of others, are part of a tribe, or a gang, or perhaps site staff, to speak against me thus. You don't. And I do have people here with whom I get along with just fine

I directly quoted your words. If you cannot understand what you wrote, well, that's on you. Perhaps, you might seek the assistance of an adult.
I understood and meant what I said, perfectly. I spoke to the inability and lack of forum technique you used to for the quote. And said exactly that
I cannot even begin to understand how or why you would think that I desire a Samsung device of any kind, let alone a Fold. I've owned three Samsung devices, and my experience with each was horrid. My worst experience was with a Samsung computer monitor with an HDMI input; an HDMI input purposefully designed not to work with a computer. I'll repeat that, I unwittingly bought a Samsung COMPUTER monitor with an HDMI input designed NOT to work with a COMPUTER.

Overall, I am flabbergasted at your distinct inability to follow any conversation.

Do enjoy your day.
You're apparently incapable of either recognizing sarcasm, or responding to it it any appropriate manner.

I suggested you buy a Samsung, (or any) folding tablet, so that you could look up more big words to throw up in your typical haphazard manner. "Big screens, for big words, and big important personalities", that's my motto. :rolleyes:

Truth to tell, I'm "flabbergasted", that you aren't sentient enough to realize, I could care less what you buy, or what fate might befall you.

Last edited:
They lost much of the western world and will soon loose a good portion of Asia. Huawei needs to reside itself to China being it's main market at best.

Huawei is on it's way out. Accept it.
Well their main market is over 60% of their sales. Also think of the implications of such an action by the US Govt. This will push Chinese mobile manufacturers likely to make their own OS. They will move away from any dependence on the US. A huge amount of US smartphone manufacturing is in China. If China were to suddenly blacklist Apple and Android US manufacturers (cut them off from parts), the economic damage to those companies would be catastrophic. Imagine iPhone, iPad, Mac etc suddenly having massively reduced supply for years.

On the other hand, as I said, Huawei has over 60% of their market domestically already AND they are Government backed. Huawei isn't dying from this. Not by a long shot. It really is inevitable China would protect Huawei by subsidising this transition tbh.

It would stand to reason that Huawei, Mark Twain, and Sir Paul McCartney have one thing very much in common, which is,"rumors of their deaths have been greatly exaggerated".

("Was" or "were" exaggerated, in the case of Samuel Clemens, as he is in point of fact, quite dead now).

Back