Huge Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have a fun little problem that needs a solution. Currently I am getting artifacts on my screen and random black screen freezing in games and when my computer is idle.

At first I received the error message (display driver stopped responding, windows fixed the problem etc.). After it 'fixed' the problem, my computer would do the same thing. Naturally I assumed it was a graphics card issue. I went to the store and picked up an ATI 5770 and ended up receiving the exact same problem!

I figure it might be a heating issue, but that would be strange since it locks up when the computer is idle. So I open it up and all the fans are running before, after, and during the problem.

I figure it could be a virus or a problem with Windows 7, so I take that hard drive out and put in an older one that had Windows Vista on it. I end up with the same problem.

I think maybe it is a memory problem, so I run the memory test that Windows 7 comes with and it finds nothing!

The only other parts I can think of are my motherboard, my cpu, and my power supply. I'm at a loss here and any help would be great.

Simple question: When you installed your new video card, prior to doing so, did you completely uninstall the old drivers by using something like Driver Sweeper or Driver Cleaner Pro?

And, yes, I would also think it was my video card itself because of the artifacting. What is your make and model of your PSU? Do you have a multimeter to test if the psu is supplying the correct power to your vid card?

The first time I put in the new video card, no, I didn't use a driver cleaner. However, when I went back to my old hard drive I decided to use it and it still had the same problem. In addition to that, the problem can't be the removal of the driver, since this issue was happening on my old card with the same drivers I had been using.

My CPU is an Intel Core 2 Duo e6300.

I don't have a multimeter.

If it is running fine in Safe Mode this is a good indicator that we are looking at driver issues. Do the following steps and get back to us with the results.

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper for your OS version (both have free versions) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper. If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back