Hulu Plus released, price slashed to $8 per month

Emil

Staff

Hulu, the second largest Web video service in the US behind Google's YouTube, has announced the official debut of its subscription service Hulu Plus, and has slashed its the price from $9.99 per month to $7.99 per month. Users who subscribed to the preview service, which was available in June, will receive a credit for the price difference automatically applied to their next billing cycle.

Last month, there were rumors that the service would soon cost $5 per month. Unfortunately, while the price drop was accurate it seems the new price was not. We think many users will be disappointed as even at $5 per month many complained the price was too high for what the service offers.

Hulu Plus gives you access to a slightly larger content library and let's you watch Hulu on non-PC devices (like the iPad, iPhone, PS3). Hulu has now just added Roku to its list of devices. Support for Xbox 360, TiVo Premiere DVRs, and many Internet-enabled HDTVs, Blu-ray players, and media centers is coming in the next few months. Unfortunately, Hulu is still limited primarily to current broadcast shows from its three owners: Disney's ABC, GE's NBC, and News Corporation's Fox. In addition, many networks are creating their own free apps for devices, making Hulu Plus less attractive.

Most users are will continue to use the free advertisement version since Hulu Plus doesn't offer that much more. Furthermore, services like Netflix aren't much more expensive and offer much more content. Netflix is also available on multiple non-PC devices, including the three biggest gaming consoles: the Xbox 360, the PlayStation 3, and the Wii. On top of that, Netflix is available in the US and Canada while Hulu Plus is still US-only.

Permalink to story.

"Most users are will continue to use the free advertisement version since Hulu Plus doesn't offer that much more. "

That pretty much sums up Hulu Plus.

The only way they are going to get this to work is to get rid of the commercials and get movies that aren't 30 years old. The it may be worth 8 bucks. The longer hey drag their feet about doing this, the more it will hurt them in the long run.

I just recently cut the cable off and joined Netflix and I couldn't be any happier! I really would like to get Hulu Pluso...provided they increase the shows that they carry, and also post more FULL episodes. Pretty much anytime I've thought of a show I'd like to watch either they didn't have it, or just had clips of the show. I absolutely despise show clips. Who would really want to just sit there and try to piece together an episode. Put the whole thing up or nothing at all dangit. Youtube used to have full episodes of shows I'd watch. Eventually you'd have to search through pages of people garbage uploads of show clips,,,then the full episodes were pulled down all together.

Wouldn't that be so cool in the future when you can actually watch whatever you want for one flat monthly rate. The day some company can give us that they will make gobs of cash! Oh and get rid of commercials. If I'm paying I don't wanna see them!

windmill007 said:
Oh and get rid of commercials. If I'm paying I don't wanna see them!
Lots of luck on that, that was the promise of cable, just look at it now.

Slashed prices to $ 2.00 should be the headline. A meager $ 2.00 discount for Hulu is a joke.

Netflix seams to be the better option right now. You can watch full series on netflix while only the most recent on Hulu. I'm pretty sure netflix has a better library for streaming movies as well though im not familiar with hulu's. not to mention you can get the mail service with netflix.

windmill007 said:
Wouldn't that be so cool in the future when you can actually watch whatever you want for one flat monthly rate. The day some company can give us that they will make gobs of cash! Oh and get rid of commercials. If I'm paying I don't wanna see them!

If they don't have commercials then you couldn't afford the service. A lot of TV shows cost nearly as much as a movie to produce each episode. Those commercials bring in billions of dollars in revenue, above and beyond cable and satellite charges.

Still useless, same Hulu Plus, little extra content over Hulu, still commercials but now it's $2 dollars less...I'll stick with Netflix and free Hulu.

I've been looking into Hulu Plus, they actually have a week free, and imo the only people that should pick up Hulu Plus are those that want the brand new tv series and aren't able to pull directly from the broadcaster's website.

Most of these shows are streamed for free, without commercials from the same owners of Hulu. Some of my favorite shows, Bones, Leverage, Burn Notice, I can all watch for free from their respective broadcaster's websites, so why would I pay anything for them and still be forced to watch the commercials?

As I said I can only see this service good for people that want a new show instantly and don't have access to the broadcaster's website, very small population I'd guess.

Well then some actor will have to take a pay cut just like many of us ))

Back