Hulu will no longer work on older Roku players after June 24

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: While we’d all love for hardware to run indefinitely, the truth of the matter is that aging hardware is simply unable to keep up with the demands of evolving software. When it starts to degrade the user experience, companies are left with little choice but to abandon support and focus on newer products.

Hulu later this month with discontinue support for select Roku streaming devices meaning that, if you’re using one of these older media streamers, you’ll need to replace it if you want to continue to have access to the Hulu app.

A recently updated help center article notes that as of June 24, 2020, the Roku Streaming Player (models 2400 to 3100) and the Roku Streaming Stick (model 3420 and earlier) will no longer be able to run the Classic Hulu app.

Furthermore, Hulu said the following devices must be updated to firmware version 8.1 or higher in order to run the latest version of the Hulu app:

• Roku Ultra
  • Roku Premiere and Premiere+
  • Roku Express and Express+
  • Roku 3 and 4
  • Roku 2 (model 4210)
  • Roku Streaming Stick (model 3500 or later)
  • Roku TV
  • 4k Roku TV

In the event you attempt to use an outdated player after June 24, you may see a message like “Hulu Plus is no longer supported on this device” or “Your user session has expired.” In other instances, users may no longer have the option to sign in at all or the app may disappear completely.

Hulu notes in a separate help article that service is occasionally discontinued on devices when they are no longer capable of meeting the app’s minimum technical requirements.

Masthead credit: rblfmr

Permalink to story.

This right here is why I still use htpc's, my smart TV has the same problem now with some streaming services, it's forced obsolescence. But I don't see them saying the 3 i5 750 with Intel hd computers are no longer supported

And Roku could do a lot better job identifying which version and which system they have. It's not hidden, it's just not obvious enough that you don't have to hunt for it. Why couldn't they just display the version on the opening screen?

And Roku could do a lot better job identifying which version and which system they have. It's not hidden, it's just not obvious enough that you don't have to hunt for it. Why couldn't they just display the version on the opening screen?
Maybe Roku could make the Option key availabe when one is on the Home menu item to show its Version and Update Now screen? Maybe even the network, too? Like an Info screen.

Hulu later this month with discontinue support for select Roku streaming devices meaning that, if you’re using one of these older media streamers, you’ll need to replace it if you want to continue to have access to the Hulu app.

A recently updated help center article notes that as of June 24, 2020, the Roku Streaming Player (models 2400 to 3100) and the Roku Streaming Stick (model 3420 and earlier) will no longer be able to run the Classic Hulu app.

Furthermore, Hulu said the following devices must be updated to firmware version 8.1 or higher in order to run the latest version of the Hulu app:

• Roku Ultra
  • Roku Premiere and Premiere+
  • Roku Express and Express+
  • Roku 3 and 4
  • Roku 2 (model 4210)
  • Roku Streaming Stick (model 3500 or later)
  • Roku TV
  • 4k Roku TV

In the event you attempt to use an outdated player after June 24, you may see a message like “Hulu Plus is no longer supported on this device” or “Your user session has expired.” In other instances, users may no longer have the option to sign in at all or the app may disappear completely.

Hulu notes in a separate help article that service is occasionally discontinued on devices when they are no longer capable of meeting the app’s minimum technical requirements.

Masthead credit: rblfmr

Permalink to story.

Kind of makes you wonder if ROKU OWNS HULU or Vice-versa... Using the increasing popularity of Streaming Video as another Marketing Tool to force People to BUY the NEWER Systems?

I think that's a mistake.. People (ME for example) value VERSATILITY in any Electronic Systems... SOMEONE.. will make a streaming App/Standalone system capable of Compatibility with these streaming companies that can be UPDATED as NEEDED. ROKU needs some SERIOUS Competition!

Kind of makes you wonder if ROKU OWNS HULU or Vice-versa... Using the increasing popularity of Streaming Video as another Marketing Tool to force People to BUY the NEWER Systems?

I think that's a mistake.. People (ME for example) value VERSATILITY in any Electronic Systems... SOMEONE.. will make a streaming App/Standalone system capable of Compatibility with these streaming companies that can be UPDATED as NEEDED. ROKU needs some SERIOUS Competition!
You must now use a smartphone, huh? After 2-3 years, you have to replace them if you want updates, anymore.
Apple even had to create two iOSes because iPad features had evolved so much it was easier than making just one iOS for phones & tablets. Which is why our older one can't go past version 12.
And don't even try buying a car in the Midwest for use on the west coast... their emission laws won't let you license it there.
Need I say more? Obsolense is always around. And newer types of electronics suffer most like streaming devices and 'smart' TVs. That's the main reason Windows has so many challenges, it's trying to satisfy devices built 15-25 years ago, and even oder ones that run that pre-Windows OS, DOS/MSDOS.
(rant over, sorry)

Last edited:
This right here is why I still use htpc's, my smart TV has the same problem now with some streaming services, it's forced obsolescence. But I don't see them saying the 3 i5 750 with Intel hd computers are no longer supported

Last time I did Hulu on a PC, you could only get stereo sound via the web browser. Also cant remember if it is also capped at 720p on web browser.

You are much better off using a roku or firetv and using the actual app. I still have my HTPC but it has been unplugged for over a year now. Windows gets crapped on when it comes to dedicated apps for streaming services, and watching them via the web browser just is crap compared to using a Roku. Picture quality wise as well as sound quality. I didn't buy a receiver just to pump stereo sound into it.

Last time I did Hulu on a PC, you could only get stereo sound via the web browser. Also cant remember if it is also capped at 720p on web browser.

You are much better off using a roku or firetv and using the actual app. I still have my HTPC but it has been unplugged for over a year now. Windows gets crapped on when it comes to dedicated apps for streaming services, and watching them via the web browser just is crap compared to using a Roku. Picture quality wise as well as sound quality. I didn't buy a receiver just to pump stereo sound into it.

Well hulu, and Netflix have an app on windows 10, and considering how quickly some devices loose support it's not worth it. On the other hand I tested a core2 e6600 with 4gb if ram and it handled Hulu, Netflix and prince video just fine with a gt210. But of course a 2015 smart TV isn't fast enough but my desktop is

Well hulu, and Netflix have an app on windows 10, and considering how quickly some devices loose support it's not worth it. On the other hand I tested a core2 e6600 with 4gb if ram and it handled Hulu, Netflix and prince video just fine with a gt210. But of course a 2015 smart TV isn't fast enough but my desktop is

Considering their old streaming stick (3500) came out in 2014 and still supported. I'd say this is not a problem. I don't see a problem spending 40 bucks every 5 years to have the best streaming experience. I have a couple Roku 3600 sticks on secondary TV's. Work great, and had them for years. I use the newest FireTV Cube on my Main TV. Love it. Speech search is so much nicer than typing everything in.

Old power hungry computers are just bad media players IMO. I spent years messing around watching videos with VLC and Kodi/XBMC (and windows media center back in the day). Now I just Plex my own content, which is great as I can access it anywhere. No Cable for me, Netflix, Prime, Hulu, Disney +, etc.

Window's support of streaming apps is just too poor. Especially when you start getting into 4K and HDR. Also remote support is really iffy on windows apps.

The ineptitude of these comments. Some people complaining that inexpensive ARM devices have a finite lifespan of a little more than a half-decade as if crappy old streaming devices with ancient SoCs and specs can be updated forever and scale to any task, and others claiming that Roku needs competition as if Roku somehow dominates their market.

Back