Hundreds of Facebook employees send letter to Zuckerberg asking for changes to political...

nanoguy

Staff member
In brief: Zuckerberg's recent speech hinted his company had made the right decision when laying out its strategy for the 2020 election, nevertheless hundreds of employees have signed an internal letter calling for policy changes. Many of them believe there's a way to fix things before politicians turn the social platform into a worse place for news than it already is.

Earlier this month, Mark Zuckerberg held a speech in which he defended the company's controversial policy decision that allows politicians to lie in ads as long as it's "newsworthy." Naturally, critics took issue with the fact that his company is trying to create a false image as a neutral platform while profiting from the virality of posts that spread hateful content and misinformation.

It turns out Facebook employees don't all agree with the policies. According to the New York Times, over 250 of them sent a letter to Zuckerberg expressing their concerns, calling the recent decision "a threat to what Facebook stands for." They argue that allowing politicians to spread misinformation runs contrary to the company's own values, and would further damage its already weak public trust.

In the letter, sent through the company's internal forum, they recommend at least six possible ways forward that would fix the loophole-ridden policy and prevent politicians from weaponizing the platform by "targeting people who believe that content posted by political figures is trustworthy."

While Zuckerberg has defended the policy as a way to ensure Facebook remains a platform for free speech and a level playing field for everyone involved, the employees would like the company to ban false political ads in the same way it bans other types of ads that break the rules. Otherwise, Facebook could visually distinguish political ads from other, non-paid content on the newsfeed, and restrict their targeting abilities to prevent echo chambers.

Other proposed changes include spending caps for individual politicians as a way to stay true to the promise of providing a level playing field, and making sure the public knows about and understands how every new policy change affects what they see in their newsfeed. Facebook could improve things even further if it observed election silence periods to allow voters to reflect on events before casting their votes.

Of course, a combination of all the proposed approaches would work wonders for improving the sanity of the social platform. A Facebook spokesperson noted the company is still standing by its decision to not censor political speech, but that it is willing to explore some additional steps to improve things. Judging from the company's recent decision to suspend a stunt ad that came from a third-party and contained misinformation on Republican Senator Lindsay Graham, it's entirely possible that Facebook is willing to change course, if ever so slightly.

Permalink to story.

“All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.”

While I typically sway more moderate on the scale of politics, the irony here is astounding how shareholders continue to allow this.

Humanity has proven time and time again that we are incapable of learning from our own mistakes.

Huh. I want to believe that they are willing to have that rule in place regardless of the political side the ads coming from.

But I am 111% sure it's not the case.

Many believe letting politicians lie with impunity is against the company's core values

Of course. The company's core values allow only business people to lie with impunity.

I'm not sure it'll make any difference. It seems people votes are no longer based on policy or integrity they just vote for the same party every time. regardless of 'fake news' on social media which just feeds what they want to hear. It's become like supporting a football team. It's the only way to explain the current situation. It seems no matter narcissistic the current incumbent becomes , no matter how ludicrous his speeches and tweets and no matter how ridiculous he makes the US appear on the world stage, people will still defend him.

Now that Fakebook is going to start publishing news & information they are ripe for a re-designation as a "publisher" and should be re-classified and governed accordingly. While they might not be willing to alter their behavior, they then become liable and the fines and penalties can grow significantly higher and more frequent. If you can't beat 'em, drain 'em dry! You'll know you're successful when Zuck is deminished to driving an old Corsair ........

Now that Fakebook is going to start publishing news & information they are ripe for a re-designation as a "publisher" and should be re-classified and governed accordingly. While they might not be willing to alter their behavior, they then become liable and the fines and penalties can grow significantly higher and more frequent. If you can't beat 'em, drain 'em dry! You'll know you're successful when Zuck is deminished to driving an old Corsair ........
How many of these curated articles will get published (stored) on facebook servers?

Imagine a world where we'd hold lying politicians accountable?! Such a cute fairytale.

I can't even think of any election ever in my lifetime that wasn't won by blatant obvious lies to the (*****) public

Regardless of my political association, this confirms to me that fakebook is a total sham and waste of time. There is no truth at fakebook, and anyone going to fakebook for truth is lost.
Who decides the truth though, do the liberal fact checkers at Snopes, what about the balatently false CNN. That's the issue who decides what is fact.
And what about the blatant bullsh!t at Fox? If you think liberal media is telling you a story, then Fox is sheer fantasy.
https://cyber.harvard.edu/publications/2017/08/mediacloud

Take my advice and don't assume there is any truth at fakebook.

Regardless of my political association, this confirms to me that fakebook is a total sham and waste of time. There is no truth at fakebook, and anyone going to fakebook for truth is lost.

And what about the blatant bullsh!t at Fox? If you think liberal media is telling you a story, then Fox is sheer fantasy.
https://cyber.harvard.edu/publications/2017/08/mediacloud

Take my advice and don't assume there is any truth at fakebook.

I do trust fox more than the other major media stations they are less biased but not unbiased

I'm not sure it'll make any difference. It seems people votes are no longer based on policy or integrity they just vote for the same party every time. regardless of 'fake news' on social media which just feeds what they want to hear. It's become like supporting a football team. It's the only way to explain the current situation. It seems no matter narcissistic the current incumbent becomes , no matter how ludicrous his speeches and tweets and no matter how ridiculous he makes the US appear on the world stage, people will still defend him.

I don't like Trump but what the other side supports I can't period. If they want to stop murdering babies and defend a persons right to keep his faith I might reconsider, but right now the left represents the side directly opposed to moral values and actually upholding the constitions limit on the federal government.

I don't like Trump but what the other side supports I can't period. If they want to stop murdering babies and defend a persons right to keep his faith I might reconsider, but right now the left represents the side directly opposed to moral values and actually upholding the constitions limit on the federal government.
Keeping all Muslims out of the country is defending a person's right to keep their faith.

I get it.

Keeping all Muslims out of the country is defending a person's right to keep their faith.

I get it.

No not murdering babies is my faith, the right of anyone to refuse services or other items based on genuine realgious conviction. Last I checked freedom of religion is protected in the bill of rights that means it is a greater right than any other civil right. This is why I won't vote for any Democrat the gulf isn't a crack it's the marianas trench.

No not murdering babies is my faith, the right of anyone to refuse services or other items based on genuine realgious conviction. Last I checked freedom of religion is protected in the bill of rights that means it is a greater right than any other civil right. This is why I won't vote for any Democrat the gulf isn't a crack it's the marianas trench.
So you think religion has a right to tell people how to live, and oppose anyone that says that only the individual, themselves, should decide how to live?

So what happened to judge not and ye shall not be judged?

As I see it, the phrase "murdering babies" is something the right has plopped on the abortion issue in order to dramatize and belittle it. It takes away from any possible discussion on the underlying reasons and causes that women seek abortions in the first place - which is, namely, the base issues of the human condition, and until those are solved, women will always seek and obtain abortions.

"Murdering babies", IMO, is an easy way out phrase that in no way will solve the cause of the problem. Its a feel good phrase that plays into making those who use it feel good in their attempts to save humanity from itself. Its a "faith-based" term that is founded in organized religion and since it is founded in religion, it is diametrically opposed to the First Amendment which states that no law shall be enacted that favors any religion.

You might think that outlawing abortion, excuse me, stopping the left from murdering babies, will stop all abortions from happening. As I see it, it won't. If that happens, there will still be back-room abortions just like there were before Roe v. Wade.

And if that happens, the outlawing of abortion, the right will finally have a portion of their sharia law.

Maybe someone should invent the phrase, "Religious justice warrior" as if going back to the times of the Crusades will help the problem. :facepalm:

In a different, yet unrelated issue, I find it amazing just how much of their personal freedom people cede to organized religion as if the humans who run organized religion are free from fault. :facepalm:

Last edited:
So you think religion has a right to tell people how to live, and oppose anyone that says that only the individual, themselves, should decide how to live?

So what happened to judge not and ye shall not be judged?

As I see it, the phrase "murdering babies" is something the right has plopped on the abortion issue in order to dramatize and belittle it. It takes away from any possible discussion on the underlying reasons and causes that women seek abortions in the first place - which is, namely, the base issues of the human condition, and until those are solved, women will always seek and obtain abortions.

"Murdering babies", IMO, is an easy way out phrase that in no way will solve the cause of the problem. Its a feel good phrase that plays into making those who use it feel good in their attempts to save humanity from itself. Its a "faith-based" term that is founded in organized religion and since it is founded in religion, it is diametrically opposed to the First Amendment which states that no law shall be enacted that favors any religion.

You might think that outlawing abortion, excuse me, stopping the left from murdering babies, will stop all abortions from happening. As I see it, it won't. If that happens, there will still be back-room abortions just like there were before Roe v. Wade.

And if that happens, the outlawing of abortion, the right will finally have a portion of their sharia law.

Maybe someone should invent the phrase, "Religious justice warrior" as if going back to the times of the Crusades will help the problem. :facepalm:

In a different, yet unrelated issue, I find it amazing just how much of their personal freedom people cede to organized religion as if the humans who run organized religion are free from fault. :facepalm:

I don't disagree with abortion because I'm on the right or my pastor said to, I disagree because the baby isn't an enemy combatant and it didn't commit a capital offense, it is wholy innocent and the only justifiable reason is the baby and mother will both for outside of that narrow scope there are options such as adoption, while I can understand rape or incest I don't agree with it being a good enough reason, and the one I will never grasp is I had sex and I got pregnant because, the solution to that is stop having sex unless you are ready for children, you made a mistake your a mother now. To that I feel quite strongly, I lost a kid to an ex because we let our passions run free and she got one without ever talking to me about it, it is why she's an ex I forgave her but I couldn't look at her with anything but rage if she didn't want our child is have raised it, it didn't need to be murdered.

Back