Hyundai pledges to keep physical buttons in its vehicles for safety reasons

midian182

Staff member
In context: Automobiles have changed a lot over the decades, especially when it comes to their technology-packed interiors. As manufacturers rush to add more and bigger touchscreens alongside soft-touch controls, traditional physical buttons and dials are going the way of the dinosaur. But Hyundai isn't ready to get rid of these instruments, at least not until their vehicles have full self-driving capabilities.

Sang Yup Lee, Head of Hyundai Design, confirmed that the company was keeping buttons and dials in its vehicles during the launch of the new-generation Hyundai Kona (via CarsGuide). This might seem as if the Korean giant is shooting itself in the foot by not embracing the latest in-car tech, but Lee says it's a safety issue.

"We have used the physical buttons quite significantly the last few years. For me, the safety-related buttons have to be a hard key," said Lee.

Some luxury vehicles are going all-in on touch-screen displays and soft-touch buttons; the Mercedes-Benz 2023 EQS SUV has a 56-inch Hyperscreen that covers almost all of the front dashboard and includes the instrument cluster, infotainment, and passenger display.

With virtually every function of a vehicle and its infotainment system controlled via screens and soft buttons, drivers are often forced to take their eyes off the road to search through menus or find a touch control on the dash. Being able to find and interact with a chunky physical button, dial, or switch is much easier, and usually doesn't require a driver to look away.

"When you're driving, it's hard to control it. This is why when it's a hard key it's easy to sense and feel it," said Lee.

As you can see in the image above, the Hyundai Kona comes with plenty of physical buttons alongside a pair of 12.3-inch displays. There are controls for the HVAC system and real dials for the audio volume, something many drivers prefer over their digital alternatives, which can often involve navigating several menus before reaching the desired function.

Hyundai isn't permanently ruling out the total removal of physical buttons from its automobiles, but that will only happen once it makes level 4 autonomous vehicles that do not require human interaction in most circumstances. Not having to watch the road all the time would allow people to play with screens to their heart's content.

"When it comes to Level 4 autonomous driving, then we'll have everything soft key, but until then, as I said, when it comes to driving, it's safest to have your eyes on the road and your hands on the wheel," Lee said.

Permalink to story.

This is a GOOD thing, all touchscreen controls suck arse when driving.

Hyundai, however, is one of the worst offenders. The santa cruz for instance is touch only for HVAC control in higher trims.

Much like honda, I'll bet this "pledge" is coming from constant complaints by drivers as to how dangerous the touch only system is, because nobody could have predicted that.

I've been saying this for years. With physical buttons I can adjust things without taking my eyes off the road.

They don't want us using our phones while driving, I don't see touch screens in vehicles as very different.

Both is best. Physical buttons and switches can break, which can be inconvenient or even dangerous. So have the touchscreen able to control everything - but keep real switches.

Both is best. Physical buttons and switches can break, which can be inconvenient or even dangerous. So have the touchscreen able to control everything - but keep real switches.
That seems reasonable, physical switches these days are connected to a micro controller anyway.

I do see a place for touch screens in cars, just not having everything run through it.

This is fantastic thinking. Safety should be #1 reason for something. Have to admit that I am a bit of a fan of the brand. Our whole family (5) has a Hyundai across all price ranges, value is there and safety also, not to mention reliability and cost to maintain ! beats VW across the board. Polo's had drum brakes while Hyundai's had disks for years already on cheaper cars !

I prefer BUTTONS and KNOBS! I can feel around while driving for the control I want to change.
Unless they have VOICE activated controls, I DO NOT like touch screens in vehicles.

Better to have one button break and then you don't have that one button than for a touchscreen to break then you're out of many features.

Better to have one button break and then you don't have that one button than for a touchscreen to break then you're out of many features.
If one button breaks you may be forced to replace the whole button array, but I agree buttons are way ahead for safety purposes.

There was some studies some time ago that basically had proven, that physical buttons, especially when in pressed in a sequence, showed much faster timing in comparison, and also accuracy, and took much less attention to do while driving. Muscle memory is a real thing. Glad some Auto manufacturers are starting to wake up. Not to mention switches are an astronomical amount less money to replace when things inevitably fail. and the aftermarket world for them is huge. In my 16 years of working at a Dealership, I've seen enough failed "touch technology" that encourages me to appreciate the older vehicles that I can turn my key, press my physical heated seat button, crank my heater or AC up instantly, crank my music instantly, grab a gear or two, and away we go.

My wife.......She likes her rig for now. But when 5 years down the road her screen fails, and she finds out the manufacturer discontinued that part........Well thank God for Ebay I suppose. But doubtful she will find a new product. In the meanwhile She will certainty be missing out on all those fancy features controlled though that screen.

Don't get me wrong. You get into some of these newer vehicles, and they are downright impressive! almost stunning. You can't help but be in awe of how much technology manufactures have packed into these modern vehicles. But long term, I'm a nay sayer. They won't stand the time.

That's actually a very smart move. With so many critical functions now moving to terminal views, the loss of that terminal not only shuts down the functions, it causes serious dangers to moving vehicles ....

Back