I can't download driver for OS installation

joeyboblin

Helllo, i am having trouble with my new build. i have this

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

with a GIGABYTE GA-P67A-D3-B3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

I got my pc built and it loads windows 7 (64 bit) It gets to this point right after Custom install

says to install the device driver needed to access your hard drive, insert the installation media the driver files and then click ok

I didnt get anything with my HD the only other CD i got (other than gigabyte one) was INstallation driver CD that came with my Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 i insert it when prompted for what i just said and tried it and boot up, no go...

The problem is It won't find one. I then go to browse and i have three option local disk (C: ) CD drive (D: ) Boot (X: )

When i hit the plus sign to the left used to extend all the information in that drive/folder etc. it says i need to format the disk in drive C: before I can use it.

So i press format disk and it says windows can't format C. Check to seee that the disk and drive are connected properly, make sure that the disk is not read-only, and then try again. For more information, search Help for read-only files and how to change them.

IF i highlight local disk (C: ) and press OK it says
Load Driver
NO signed device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers and then click OK.

*Note: In bios in shows my HD and my dvd/cd player. My HD is set to master and my dvd player is set to slave. I switched to a different sata slot on my mobo, didnt work.

Sounds to me that you need to install the 'chipset' drivers. You should find them on the cd that you got with the motherboard.
If you look at the files on the Gigabyte cd, you should find various folders such as 'Audio' and 'Network, etc. You need to install the 'Chipset' drivers as soon as you can. If you have the booklet that came with the motherboard, it should have some instructions about it, and the 'Motherboard Utilities' CD normally has an autorun that will put up a menu on screen, and as a general rule, you will need to install everything on that disk.

Well i looked in my booklet and it said before installing the drivers, first install the operating system... after it says that its the start of the chapter installing chipset drivers

i still put the cd in when it asked for drivers to install inside of windows 7 where im stuck but no luck. I tried selecting the cd itself or the boot (X: ) Not working...

If you bought the Hard drive brand new, and it's never had an operating system on it, then you will need to format it first before trying to install Windows.
The Windows disc has all the files on it to do that for you.
You need to create a partition on the hard drive first, then format it 'NT'.
I had a look around for something else you could have a look at, try this, and look at step 6 for the part about 'format or partition'.

http://www.buildeasypc.com/sw/windows_7/install_windows_7.htm

i looked at step 6 and on that they can see 1 HD or sumthin. I don't have anything and when i go to drive options says no signed device driver found. etc.

It will be hard to format my harddrive on a different computer cuz all we have that works are 2 laptops and i don't feel that comfortable opening them up and formating on here.
I am soo close to my computer running fully, im starting to think it is a faulty HD and i should go buy another one but i don't want to unless I have to. And yes the HD is new and in windows it says format it but it won't. I don't know what to do and i have looked all over the web.

Unless you know otherwise, there is probably nothing wrong with any of the parts you have bought. In your BIOS (power on and F2 usually), and in the 'Drives' section, look for the option 'SATA operation'. Do you have it set to; 'RAID autodetect/ATA' and not to 'RAID ON' ?
And also in the list of drives, do you see as the top option; 'Drive 0 :SATA 0', if you highlight that option, you should see the name (brand) and size and details of your hard drive.
You can format and install your windows in the pc you want it to be on, no need to take the drive out at all.

my HD was in SATA 1 and so i moved it SATA 0: master didnt change anything and yes it is there with details. DO i have to use this RAID, first of all i have heard it causes problems. Secondly, isn't it for a minimum of 2 hard drives I am only using 1 so i didnt think i had to use that Raid
The Sata operation thing is set to IDE and i tried AHCI and that didnt work. I havent tried the Raid, if thats what i gotta do let me know but i didnt think i should with one hard drive

I totally agree with Mike when he says that you don't need to take the hard drive out at all. Keep the hard drive in the machine that it is meant for, no need to try and go through the hassle of removing a hard drive, taking to a machine that it wasn't quite meant to be used on and trying to install your O.S. and drivers that way! For me, that's the absolute last thing I would want to do, that's kind of the "hail marry" approach.

Mike has given you some awesome advise up to this point, just follow his instructions and you in the end will be fine. Personally I feel that there is way to much "drama" going into this O.S. and driver install. Now I've never owned Microsoft's Windows 7 Operating System, but if my friends who use it were being honest with me, they have mentioned that Windows 7 come "stock standard" with all the support, drivers and installation tools required to install Windows 7 on a brand new IDE or SATA hard drive.

The closest thing I've come to using Windows 7 was once running with Windows Vista Ultimate (64bit) about 3 years back. If my Ultimate is the same as Windows 7, my Ultimate did not require me to do anything extra at the time of it's install, it loaded all my SATA drivers a.k.a. RAID and recognized the hard drive all by itself. After detection and self install into itself of those SATA or RAID drivers, it then saw the hard drive and formatted to NTFS, and proceeded with a successful install of Windows Vista Ultimate (64bit). I only needed to worry about my Motherboards support or driver CD was after Windows fully installed. Then I let the drivers off the CD take over and take charge over the "default" drivers that came stock with Vista.

Now if my install was the "norm" for it's time, I don't see why Windows 7 would be any different. Heck Windows 7 being a "so called" upgrade from Vista should be able to do more wonderful things than Vista could ever do, more easier installs should be one of them!

I suspect there's just something running a muck or something is just a miss here, just follow Mike's directions and all will be "right as rain" in the end.

Sorry for chiming in here, either appropriate or not, but this was just me kind of thinking out loud!

I tried switching to Raid[XHD] and enabled raid but nothing changed. Mostly Raid would be for 2 Hard drives so i don't think that is the case.

I am not saying mike's advice is bad i greatly appeciate him even looking into this. I am completely listening to him especially that he is the only one trying to actually help. I say that trying the HD on another computer cuz someone from different forums with similiar problem said that formating it on his other comp and it worked out his problem.

This problem is out of the ordinary usually your drive shows up as on option, as you can see of the link mike provided at step 6 it should show a drive there. I'm just gonna delete what i had down here cuz i acually do appeciate you putting ur thoughts into this Zen but u did kinda annoy me sayin i am being dramatic and that i should listen to mike when (thats exactly what i have been doing is listening to mike). Im not tryin to be dramatic, sry if i am, Im tryin to show every bit of trail and error so someone can come up with a conclusion. This is really frustrating for me and this is my first build everything has gone fine and i can't figure this out or find out what to do, this one simple thing is stopping me from my first build being complete.

I am starting to believe that i somehow need to partition my Hard drive so that it can be formated in windows 7. How im a suppose to do that though.

Installing Windows on new HD

Hi. First, no you don't need to select RAID in the BIOS. You are right to think it's for users who want to use 2 drives, and the idea is, that it copies all your work twice. In case of a failure of one drive, all the data is safe on the other one.
In the BIOS (my BIOS that is) I have 2 options;
1) RAID Autodetect/ATA 2)RAID ON. You (and I) don't want a RAID setup, so you choose the option 1) RAID Autodetect/ATA
Secondly, you do need to install your Windows on the PC you want to use it on, in fact you have to. It's not possible to take a hard-drive with Windows on, and put it in a different PC, it won't work. That's because various part numbers of the components in the PC are stored in Windows, and are checked each time you boot that PC. The part numbers are different on every PC, so it links your copy of Windows to your PC, no other. Also it shows why, if you change a board in the future, you will be directed to Microsoft's site, for the different part number to be linked to your Windows installation.
You do need to 'format' your new hard drive before you can use it, and create a partition, 1 or more, then choose which partition you want to install Windows onto.
All the tools to do this are on your Windows DVD. There are many tutorials on the web showing this, I can give you link to one, if you wish.
(I had a look, but all I found are for XP or earlier.)
The post by Zen, about says it all, it's all mostly automatic to install Vista or '7', the drivers are all included to get you up and running. Of course you can install more suitable versions later on.
* Just a thought, is your new Windows 7 an 'Upgrade on Vista' version? If it is, then you will need to install 'Vista' first. If it doesn't say, then it's a full version, and you are ok to continue.
I will have another look for a video tutorial for '7', rather than XP.

Well i did get a new result i am still stuck, thought i had it this time. haha.
I am trying to install windows 7 home premium 64bit. It is not the upgrade version. Our bios are somehow different for example mine starts with pressing delete key. I don't have a RAID ON thing but i have this option for XHD which is extreme Hard drive if i choose that option is forces it to RAID setting, actually RAID(XHD). Then i have the option (if XHD disabled that is) to have it set to IDE, RAID(XHD), or AHCI. I switched it to AHCI because in my booklet says that windows 7 include intel SATA RAID/AHCI driver. I am pretty sure i changed it back to IDE to try after i got stuck again but then that "new option" wasnt even there but read below to learn how i got a step further

OK, so after rereading my mobo booklet i found out i had to copy certain driver files from my mobo cd to a floppy disk.

So i save all the files from \BootDrv\iRST\64 bit folder from my Gigebyre cd. (After this didnt work i tried all the other 64bit folders in the BootDrv section none compatible with hardware) Inside of the Windows 7 ( same place been stuck at) Asks where do you want to install Windows? THen i click Load drivers and it says to install the device driver needed to access your hard drive, insert the installation media the driver files and then click ok. So i i put my USB stick in my PC and it loaded and finally something was there as an option. To be specific that option is

Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller (E: \iaAHCI.inf)

I hit Next and it loads for a lil while then just goes away and goes back to Where do you want to install Windows? and i can't click next. Afterwards i try to extend local disk (C: ) for the option to format disk and it still couldnt. I can just keep loading that driver file and it just goes back every time.... to Where do you want to install Windows.

i acually do appeciate you putting ur thoughts into this Zen but u did kinda annoy me sayin i am being dramatic

It's not you or Mike who I feel are being "dramatic", it's your hardware! I have every bit of confidence with your skills to being able to install a Windows Operating System. I'm simply just a bit "miffed" with your hardware, it just appears to not want to "play nice"!

And in regards to Mike, no "drama" there, heck I've seen a ton of stuff from this guy and from what I can tell so far, I don't think he has done anyone wrong yet!

So again..............

You = No Drama

Mike = No Drama

Your Computer = Drama

I will just back off now and will monitor this from afar! I hope and pray that your system gets it's act straight and goes with the program...............your program!

Ok. Read your progress so far... you keep getting stuck at the same point, where windows is asking where you want to install windows. This is where you choose the partition you want windows to be in. As you are not getting any options, it probably means you haven't yet created any partitions.
After a lot more searching, I found a tutorial that might explain it better than I can.
When you are on that site, scroll down 2 screens, to the green heading "Here's how". Read the info there, and you are getting stuck at the points,6,7, and 8.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-windows-7-a.html
Follow that through, see if it applies to where you are now.
I think it is stage 8 where you are, and 9 will start to install Windows 7.

FINALLY!!

So to answer your question i was at stage 7, but my hard drive would never show up. I read in some other forum with a guy with a very similar build just went and got a new Hard drive. So I was done with all this research and was getting no where and went and got a WD caviar black Hard drive and it showed up and as of now it is at stage 9 and is installing!! awesome finally.
I guess i had a faulty Hard drive. in the forums they said they got a new Hard drive and then formated the one that didnt work when windows 7 was installed so maybe that willl work for me and i can use it some sort of back up or i might try to return it.
Thanks for your help i definetly appeciated it.

That's no trouble, hope your new PC works well.
Seems you had a faulty drive from new, it can happen.

Back