I hate my computer teacher

My teacher is making me learn home row, but I type around 90-130 (depending on the typing test) words per minute using my own method. It is impossible for me to keep my fingers on home row and I just hate it. I can understand why teachers would teach you home row, I'm pretty sure it would help anyone with anything under 50 wpm, but forcing me to do something that is impossible for me to do and would probably take years for me to relearn, and I can do it another way with quicker keystrokes than just using home row. I don't look at my keyboard when I type either.

My left hand usually rests by the wasd since I played lots of video games. My pinkie is always on shift, and is the only time I will ever use it . While on my right hand I learned it usually rests at jio or kop for some odd reason and I only use my pinkie for the enter key. My teacher always says "Use your pinkie for A" and it annoys me so much.

Should I listen to my teacher and try to relearn my typing way. I am very bad on using my pinkies.If I do relearn how I type will it make me type even faster than I already am? Or should I just stick with how I learn. They say this is the "proper method" anyway.

Why in the hell would you have to learn how to type in the "proper'' way, when you are definitely among the fastest typers with your own method? My only guess would be that your method could, perhaps, lead to some issues with your wrists or fingers, if practiced for a long time, however, if that is not the case, then your teacher, in my opinion, are just jealous and cannot stand that someone can succeed on their own without her teaching.

What should you do? Maybe visit some kind of doctor or professional who might be experienced in this field regarding wrist health with the usage of keyboard and ask their professional opinion in this matter, if they don't see any specific harm that your method could create with time, then simply tell your teacher to f*** off and do it your way.

There is no other reason why you should follow everyone else and be a sheep. If something works for you and its even better than anyone else, then really you should stick with your own method.

I mean. come on, does the next thing they will ''teach'' you is how to pee properly? Nonsense...

I'm pretty sure that my method won't cause any wrist problems, since I have been doing my own method for quite a while, actually since I learned how to type, and I'm sure I would of noticed it by now, my wrists feel perfectly fine.

She doesn't even understand what I'm doing, she just sees my pinkie is not on the "A" key and the other home row positions and just complains about it.

"Using home row makes you look professional" Something that she says so often. "It will help you get a job"
Yet if I don't try to learn home row I will basically fail the class.
I probably bet that I can type faster than her, and she is giving me instructions on how to type "properly"

I don't wanna fail the class, but I also don't want to forget my own method that makes me able to type my speed that I am going and learn home row. If I say anything to her about it, she will probably say the statement I stated above. "Using home row makes you look professional"

This whole class is a complete waste of time for me.

Attachments

• bandicam 2017-08-24 19-00-37-351.jpg
    bandicam 2017-08-24 19-00-37-351.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 0
"Using home row makes you look professional"

This cracked me up too much xD So, by your teachers logic - no matter how bad you are, but if you type in the ''proper'' way, employer will hire you anyway. I haven't heard more dumbest thing than that in a long time. This is exact opposite from real life situation.

No one cares (and this is really related to everything, not just typing) how you reach your goal or perform your required actions - as long as you are successful with it and finish your work in time - that is all that matters.

And "Using home row makes you look professional" won't help you much, when he/she (employer) realizes that you are horrible at it. Do it your own way, if that suits the best for you. That is life for you.

Here I was thinking you were hired by your typing speed not method. The point in the method is to increase your typing speed by giving you a form to comply with. However if you don't have need in having a faster pace, that form is really not needed. But then again that is just me thinking, I really don't have a clue.

I was 2nd fastest in my class and I had same problem although I have long fingers. it all comes to your own way of typing and can you do your tasks properly. If you are "forced" by teacher like we were to type in "proper" way do it or if your grades will suffer because of it. Idk when I was typing in "proper way" last time

You are fighting a losing battle. Your teacher is given a syllabus to teach and with that comes a number of milestones that you must demonstrate in order to pass. Just adopt the method the teacher is trying to teach you, pass the class and continue typing your own way.

Back