I need a PCI (not PCIe) DVI card (either <75w or w/power input)

Mugsy

Here's the situation. I have this old mITX computer I built a few years ago that I'd like to hook up to Dad's big-screen TV so he can Skype from his living-room. Problem is, the computer is VGA only and his TV is HDMI only. The MoBo has just one PCI (not PCIe) slot with a maximum output of 75watts.

I tried a PCI video card with HDMI output, but the slot couldn't drive the card. Didn't even detect it. :(

I believe DVI uses less power (the cards are definitely cheaper), and I could just use a simple DVI-to-HDMI cable. A native HDMI port would be better. As long as it works, I don't care. But w/o an external power input, the card can't draw more than 75watts from the PCI slot.

Anyone know of a card that fits this very specific bill? Thx.

ADDENDUM: PC only has a tiny 300watt PSU.

Last edited:
Check this one out: Zotac GeForce GT 610
It is a PCI Card (non express) that has DVI / VGA / HDMI. It is also a Low Profile and requires a 300w power supply or higher. It looks like it should work with your situation.

Thanks for the reply.

Is there any way to confirm compatibility before I spend that much money? I was told the 6600GS would work too and it didn't.

PS: I verified the PCI slot is not at fault by installing an old TV tuner card as a test.

What was the problem with using the 6600GS? I assume you still have this card. Is that the card you mentioned above not powering on?

What was the problem with using the 6600GS? I assume you still have this card. Is that the card you mentioned above not powering on?

My apologies. I thought I mentioned it in my original question. Yes, same card.

I purchased a GeForce 6600GS, but the computer didn't even detect it. Tried it in another computer and the card was fine. I ended up returning it.

I believe the problem was the card required more power than the PCI slot could provide (and there are no external power plugs on the 6600.)

I tried looking up the GeForce 6600GS and I am having a tough time trying to find the specs on said card. From what I can find, ALL of the 6600 series cards came in either AGP or PCI-Express. I did not see a regular PCI (non-express) card made in that series. Can you please double check the card to verify. Also, could you please provide the make and model of the motherboard that is in the computer? Might help with making better recommendations.

I tried looking up the GeForce 6600GS and I am having a tough time trying to find the specs on said card. From what I can find, ALL of the 6600 series cards came in either AGP or PCI-Express. I did not see a regular PCI (non-express) card made in that series. Can you please double check the card to verify. Also, could you please provide the make and model of the motherboard that is in the computer? Might help with making better recommendations.

Thanks a ton for the research.

After looking at video card prices online and knowing I'll still be left wondering if the card will work, I realized that just updating the MoBo to one with onboard APU and HDMI port (plus all the extras of a modern MoBo) would not only be cheaper, but a FAR better ROI. :)

Back