I took my laptop on a holiday and now its very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

animemanga

Hi there

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this matter. I took my laptop to italy and installed few programmes to help get acess to the internet.....now my laptop seems to have gone down a hill in terms of general perfomance. Also I'm suppose to have about 250 GB hard drive and somehow I dont know what filling some of my free space up.

I forgot what I need to do inorder to help you asses my system. Donwload hijack this ? I anyone could run me through it would be much appreciated. Thank you very much in advance

P.s. How come howard_hopkins got banned?

Hi animemanga,

First before you do anything, please read 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions. Please read it very carefully and do not skip any steps. Then post your logs. A more experienced member will then help you from there. (I am still in training to become more experieced. Until then, I am somewhat helping with small questions)

If you use your computer to do Online Banking/Business purposes/Store personal Information/Input Credit Card Information, please read Is your system infected? Read this before Cleaning or Formatting

Hi there , so sorry for taking so long but I finally got around the 8 steps and here the three logs.

The symptoms are having

Very slow computer ( even when opening compurer files, let alone the internet)
High CPU usage for minor tasks

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• mbam-log-2010-02-08 (01-37-20).txt
    1,009 bytes · Views: 2
  • SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log - 02-08-2010 - 02-49-58.log
    1.1 KB · Views: 2
  • hijackthis.log
    8.8 KB · Views: 2
Well, you don't look the worst for the wear!. Nothing on these logs to relate to slow system. But I suggest you investigate all the Toshiba preloads: take them off of startup, uninstall any you don't use.

How much RAM do you have on the Vista system?
Vista requires a minimum of 1GB. IF you don't have that, you need to add more. IF you do have at least that, advise you go through the Memtest:

Then start thread on Windows OS forum for :
Very slow computer ( even when opening compurer files, let alone the internet)
High CPU usage for minor tasks

Regarding updates, you should get AVG v8 up to the current v9.

Also suggest getting Vista SP2.
Visit the Microsoft Download Site
You should get All updates marked Critical and the current SP updates: Vista> SP2

Updating Vista to SP2: Using Windows Updates, update IE7 to IE8 then Windows Updates will automatically show the SP2 update in Windows Updates.

Check the HJT log and you'll see that IE8 is already on the system. Member is also using Firefox, so IF IE 7 was on system, might not have wanted to update to IE8.

Hello

So there's nothing really bad about my system ? Why the sudden performance change then ? Is this one of those laptops that perform well for the first six month and then just go on a decline ? There's must be something wrong with it ..... I mean what sort of explanation is due to a certain sudden change as this?

I've got RAM of 3GB I think.... more than enough for the system to function well.

Thank you all again

I can't answer those questions. Did you run the memtest?

And stringing this out over 3 months is not the way it should be done. Please post in the Windows OS forum. you will need to give all the specs for your system.

This forum is for virus and malware removal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back