I7 9750H Base Clock Speed

When I'm in game cpu clock speed never reach 4 ghz. Cpu temp is around 85°(hits 100° for second ) , gpu 75° . But always cpu working 2.59 clock speed . What should I do . My system gtx1650m i7 9750h 2x4 8gb ram. And I get 60 fps on medium settings in metro exodus but not stable there is lots of drop. Cpu usage %60 70 Gpu usage %65
Ram %85.

Lew Zealand

TechSpot Elite
Your games don't need the higher CPU speed, instead spreading the load to your 6 cores and 12 threads as a lower clock speed in order to give your GPU as much of the heat and power budget it can.

Put another way, the 1650 is a good GPU for a light gaming machine but the 9750 is an overkill CPU for the 1650, and spends most of it's time waiting for more demand from the 1650 which will never come. If you had a 2070 in there, you'd see notably higher CPU use.

Lew Zealand

TechSpot Elite
Also possible that you're running into a power draw limitation with the 1650 since it's only using 65% of that lower-end GPU. Install Unigine's Valley, do an Extreme HD run and have a look in GPU-Z to make sure it's using 99-100% of your GPU in there.

And with 85% RAM use, that simply could be the limitation. If your computer is spending time managing limited RAM when it should be rendering frames, that could contribute.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Also possible that you're running into a power draw limitation with the 1650 since it's only using 65% of that lower-end GPU. Install Unigine's Valley, do an Extreme HD run and have a look in GPU-Z to make sure it's using 99-100% of your GPU in there.
Why i7 9750h works stable 4Ghz in idle?

neeyik

Staff member
It’s a laptop so it will be running some heavy throttling due to those temperatures, so you’ll need to figure out some better cooling for it.

Lew Zealand

TechSpot Elite
I gamed on various Intel NUCs for years before getting a real gaming rig. That's in a 28W power envelope for both the CPU and GPU, each which could use all 28W when running on their own.

Run them both together in something like Valley or a real game and neither can hit it's top clocks as that power and heat load needed to be balanced for best performance. And you'd see the GPU and CPU both using less than 100% because there's no more power or cooling available.

Your laptop is similar but with higher power and cooling limits. Though I'm not familiar with Alienware to know if they allow high power draw to be unlocked in BIOS or if they have a hard stop at a particular total power draw like my NUC.

Lew Zealand

TechSpot Elite
I use alienware command center to look them
I forgot that you already posted them, sorry about that. Those temps could be hard set limits imposed by the BIOS in your unit. The Jarrod's Tech YT channel shows these limits in all the laptops he tests (he is a laptop-focused review channel); some manufacturers allow 95C on the CPU and 90C on the GPU while others will limit to lower temps like you posted.

He's also shown that a lot of manufacturers will allow changes to these limits in BIOS, unlocking more performance with the same internal hardware. Maybe JT has a review of your unit you could have a look at?

martinsmith

Core i7-9750H. The Intel Core i7-9750H is a high-end processor for laptops with six cores based on the Coffee Lake architecture The processor clocks at between 2.6 and 4.5 GHz

Additionally conceivable that you're running into a force draw constraint with the 1650 since it's just utilizing 65% of that lower-end GPU. Introduce Unigine's Valley, do an Extreme HD run and view GPU-Z to ensure it's utilizing 99-100% of your GPU in there.

What's more, with 85% RAM use, that basically could be the restriction. On the off chance that your PC is investing energy overseeing constrained RAM when it ought to render outlines, that could contribute.