Id Software releases new Rage footage, multiplayer details

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

New details about id Software's Rage has surfaced this week, giving gamers a taste of what they can expect from both single and multiplayer portions of the game. First announced in 2007, Rage is set in a post-apocalyptic world after the impact of Apophis, a real life asteroid that is expected to pass near Earth in 2036. Naturally, the player survives that catastrophe and is left to fend for themselves among other survivors, including eight or more hostile factions comprised of bandits and mutants.

Rage seems to incorporate gameplay elements from many genres. Although the title is primarily billed as a first-person shooter, players can race vehicles to earn money for upgrades, and there are RPG-like features such as an inventory system and side missions. The term "sandbox" is used to describe the gameplay, but we're not sure how open the world is -- we picture something like Borderlands. Rock, Paper, Shotgun says Rage has a classic id feel to it, but there's more "complexity and reasoning."

The co-op portion is called Legends of the Wasteland and serves as a prequel to the single-player story. Co-op missions are linked to the main campaign and offer somewhat of a backstory along with the "opportunity to revisit key locations from a different perspective." Meanwhile, the online multiplayer specifically focuses on car combat called "Rage Combat Rally" instead of the traditional foot-bound combat. Vehicles will be customizable via some type of unlock system akin to Call of Duty.

After being delayed, Rage is finally slated to launch for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 on September 13. Preorders will be upgraded to the Anarchy Edition, which includes special in-game armor, two weapons and a vehicle. Although it looks like id is pouring a ton of effort into Rage, it doesn't seem to have as strong of a following as you'd expect. We imagine this is partly because some gamers are bored of post-apocalyptic fiction, having played titles like BioShock and Fallout in recent years.

Permalink to story.

"We imagine this is partly because some gamers are bored of post-apocalyptic fiction, having played titles like BioShock and Fallout in recent years." This sums all.
The game looks kinda normal, if it was released 3 years ago it'd be great. The shooting looks like most games and same for environment except for some new looking weapons and vehicles etc., gamers need more original titles even though this is so hard nowadays.

What kind of physics will this game have? I was disappointed with the 1st encounter with a larger enemy in this vid... woulda been nice to see a car or two thrown around.

pcnthuziast said:
What kind of physics will this game have? I was disappointed with the 1st encounter with a larger enemy in this vid... woulda been nice to see a car or two thrown around.

Probably pretty poor physics if you consider what the asteroid impact would really do to the planet. =)

Imagine eating only oily cheese and cheap mayonnaise condimented sandwiches all of your life and one day someone comes along and offers you a sandwich with cheese and mayonnaise. Of course you are going to be skeptical because you are so used to these horrible tasting sandwiches all of your life that you never knew the true value that good quality ingredients could bring to any sandwich. Of course I like my sandwiches with good quality mayonnaise and cheese and I like my post apocalyptic shooters with VEHICLES and not the kind of vehicles that drive and look like the ones in borderlands that cannot be upgraded gameplay wise or cosmetically, and not models of vehicles that cannot be driven at all like in fallout 3 and F:NV even though one mission in particular referred to someone needing their car fixed so it could be drove around but was nowhere to be found.
It's also worth noting that R.A.G.E has been in development since before Fallout 3,F:NV, and borderlands and is built on whole new technology and does not borrow sounds, images, textures, or gameplay techniques from a pre-existing game ala fallout 3 from TES: O.
While I may be in a minority because I have religiously followed every scrap of R.A.G.E.'s development from day one, I feel this game, at least in my opinion, will far outshine any previous post apocalyptic shooter whether TPS or FPS. Do not for one second believe this game does not have a following, it is just that John Carmack knows what it takes to make a great game even if Doom 3 was merely a tech demo in fledgling disguise.
IDDQD

OH MAN I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR SO LO-

Wait, $60? I think I'll acquire it through other means instead.

Enjoy your no purchase, ID. Come back and sell me a game when you don't consider me a sheep. Cram your ten extra dollars up your windpipe.

Well, can't be any worse than Crysis 2.
The environments look nicely detailed. Not sure about the gameplay, does remind me of a revamped/updated Borderlands setting.

So far to me: Looks like out-door DOOM 3. Maybe we get a Demo and can see if it was worth the wait....

Id does not inspire as it once did. All those remakes, Staff turnovers, delays...

I cant get interested in a new game where all the monsters look alike. Its like there is

Monster A Is small with a club and all look alike down to the color
Monster B Is fat and has range and all look alike
Monster C etc

We have the technology use it.

Back