IDC: Apple outshipped Acer in US during third quarter

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

According to IDC's estimates, Apple managed to outsell Acer in the US this summer, surpassing the Taiwanese manufacturer to become the third largest PC vendor. Cupertino shipped 1.99 million machines and claimed 10.6% of the market, besting Acer's 1.95 million sales and 10.3% share. Apple also experienced the largest growth of any system builder (24.1%) in the US during the third quarter.

Meanwhile, HP maintained the first and second positions, moving 4.59 and 4.35 million units with shares of 24.3% and 23.1%, respectively. Toshiba managed to nab the top five spot with 1.59 million PCs sold, 8.4% of the market, and the second-highest growth in the US (11.6%).

The spread was a bit different globally, though HP was still number one with 17.6%. Acer followed with 13%, Dell ranked just below that with 12.4%, and Lenovo placed fourth with 10.3%. Asus bagged the number five spot at 5.3%, but Toshiba trailed closely with 5.2% of the worldwide PC market.

Permalink to story.

The only thing I love about apple is how they appeal to some of the most and least productive people all at the same time. So does PC, but I mean, who cares if your pc isn't all pretty?

Hope Springs Eternal.......

A video podcast of Jobs getting a barium enema, now that would cheer me up. :haha: :wave:

Ooooo, look at the pretty white iPad
The only thing I love about apple is how they appeal to some of the most and least productive people all at the same time. So does PC, but I mean, who cares if your pc isn't all pretty?
White is typically used to hide lousy body work in the automotive trade. I think they should supply a blood stain screensaver for all Apple products.. Name the screen saver you say? Oh well, if I have to, "Monthly Delight".. Yuck.....! (Holding it's nose with one hand, while grabbing it by the string with the other smiley goes >>> HERE<<<).

Wait, my mistake, that would be for the "iPlug"......

Its funny how that statement above looks, "According to IDC's estimates, Apple managed to outsell Acer in the US this summer, surpassing the Taiwanese manufacturer to become the third largest PC vendor."
Never knew Apple to sell PC's, but what do we call their units?
I'm going to go ahead and throw "Overly Priced Hype Machines" out there and see if it sticks.

They ARE "personal computers" by definition of the phrase, although "PC" is often thought of as other things. What's more is, the internals of all of their computers are -- for all intents and purposes -- PC hardware as well.

There's very little distinction between the two aside from price, package, features and support.

Yes, Macs are ever more so PCs now, with the prevalence of the Windows OS and Intel CPUs I say eliminate the middleman, and vote "no" to white hardware.

I find the hypocrisy of supplying "Boot Camp", so that Mac owners can run Windows, then badmouthing Windows malware issues in their advertising, overwhelmingly off putting.

My post above was sarcasm. Of course they are PC's. Its just silly from a marketing stand point to call them by a different name just to gain market share as a unique computing device instead of calling it what it is. Just don't call that apple fan's laptop a pc and all will be well.

Back