Ideal monitor to use with my laptop

PedroL2000

What's up folks. So, recently my laptop's W key broke and since I can't fix it due to pandemics (the model only has support in EUA and I live in Brazil) I decided to buy external monitor and keyboard and use it as a desktop. The keyboard issue is solved, but I'm having troubles with the monitor. I want to know which monitor should I buy. My preference is for it to have the closest image quality to my laptop's (it is 1080p in a 15 inches screen, so yea, kinda difficult) and use mostly for gaming. I still have no clue about what resolution should I get that isn't overpriced, and I would like to have a frequency at least higher than 60Hz and a good time response. Oh, and I don't want screens bigger than 27 inches (preferably 24inches). I don't even know if having a better resolution would make a difference in terms of compatibility because my laptop is only 1080p (as I said, I have no clue :p). Anyway, thanks for the attention :)

That link isn't working, but your laptop probably supports resolutions higher than 1080p on an external monitor. If you can post the actual model #, we can determine that with certainty.

That link isn't working, but your laptop probably supports resolutions higher than 1080p on an external monitor. If you can post the actual model #, we can determine that with certainty.
It is in portuguese, but I think you can understand

Attachments

• Captura de Tela (115).png
    Captura de Tela (115).png
    59.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Captura de Tela (116).png
    Captura de Tela (116).png
    43.7 KB · Views: 2
Well, oddly enough HP's web pages for that specific laptop all seem to not be working, but other Omen laptops certainly allow you to run an external monitor at higher resolutions, so I can't imagine this one not doing so also.

You say you want the "closest image quality" to your existing screen. By that, I assume you mean a similar dot pitch. 15" 1080p monitors are tough to come by, as you say, but a 22" 1440p would be close to that. Personally, I'd choose a 24" or 27" 1440p monitor, even though that means visually your screen objects will be somewhat larger.

Well, oddly enough HP's web pages for that specific laptop all seem to not be working, but other Omen laptops certainly allow you to run an external monitor at higher resolutions, so I can't imagine this one not doing so also.

You say you want the "closest image quality" to your existing screen. By that, I assume you mean a similar dot pitch. 15" 1080p monitors are tough to come by, as you say, but a 22" 1440p would be close to that. Personally, I'd choose a 24" or 27" 1440p monitor, even though that means visually your screen objects will be somewhat larger.
The problem is that 1440p gaming monitors are SO expensive here in Brazil, the cheapest was like 500 dollars. Do you think there is a big difference at 1080p at 17inch (my omen is 17 not 15 inches) and 1080p at 24?

Do you think there is a big difference at 1080p at 17inch [and] 24?
41% exactly. Not sure how big that seems to you. :)

Of course, if visually it's a bit too large you can always place the monitor a little further away from you ... something you don't have the luxury of doing with the laptop screen.

41% exactly. Not sure how big that seems to you. :)

Of course, if visually it's a bit too large you can always place the monitor a little further away from you ... something you don't have the luxury of doing with the laptop screen.
But I don't know if my laptop's video card supports 2k resolution at a good FPS (it is already stuck around 140FPS at 1080p)

Ah, I thought you were primarily concerned with image quality, not frame rates. Well, obviously you're going to take a hit, one that will vary from game to game, but 1/3 slower is probably a safe estimate.

Ah, I thought you were primarily concerned with image quality, not frame rates. Well, obviously you're going to take a hit, one that will vary from game to game, but 1/3 slower is probably a safe estimate.
I think I'm getting either ASUS TUF VG249Q or AOC 24G2, both of them have IPS panel (I really like that because of better colours), 144Hz, 1ms and 1080p. What you think?

Monitor selection is really a personal choice. I certainly agree with the choice of IPS over TN. I'm sure you'll be very happy with that particular model.

The monitor's size doesn't affect frame rates - the resolution being used does. Since your laptop uses a GeForce GTX 1060 Max-Q graphics chip, it should be fine at 1080p:

Back