IE 11 market share jumps more than three-fold during December

Himanshu Arora

Staff

The latest version of Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser, IE 11, captured 10.42 percent of the desktop browser market during December, according to a report from web tracker Net Applications. This is more than a three-fold increase when compared to 3.2 percent market share it had in November last year.

The rise in adoption of IE 11 has come at the cost of IE 10's market share, which slipped down from 17.50 percent to 11.05 percent. IE 9 also witnessed a decline, though marginal, in market share. With a dip of 0.29 percentage points, its market share is now 8.96 percent.

Despite a 1.10 percent decline in market share, IE 8 is still the most used web browser in the world, with a 20.64 percent share. IE 7, whose market share is 2.14 percent, managed to gain 0.80 percentage points, while IE 6's market share slipped 0.49 percentage points to 4.43 percent.

On the whole, Internet Explorer still leads the web browser market with a 57.9 percent share in December. Firefox and Chrome occupy the second and third spot with 18.35 and 16.22 percent market share, respectively.

Net Applications has a network of 40,000 client websites from all across the globe. The company compiles its statistics by using data captured from approximately 160 million unique visitors per month.

We should note that the data differs significantly from that collected by Shareaholic in a number of ways, which can explain why Net Applications consistently ranks Internet Explorer as the most used browser while the former claims Chrome is used more than Firefox, Opera and Internet Explorer combined. Shareaholic tracked 250 million users over 200,000 websites, collecting and combining pageview data for both mobile and desktop browsers. Net Applications simply tracks desktop unique users, rather than pageviews, which results in more market share for more widespread, but less frequently used browsers such as IE.

Permalink to story.

Pale Moon 64-bit really quick an Maxthon improve speeds browser fast too. Chrome starting to get sluggish they're making it have extra features like loading start up launcher. Don't need it disabled. IE don't use 100% like .1% for using Microsoft Online Store. For some odd reason it won't work with Chrome. IE numbers gone up because the way Chrome is running today.

Chrome and Chromium have an odd issue on my system, when I click on it in my taskbar it is blank for a few seconds. This is not a hardware issue, I have 16gb ram, i7 3770k, 240gb ssd, gtx 690... Anyways I'm a Firefox user, I only use Chrome for Gmail to keep Google from logging into all their other services.

I never thought I would go back to IE, away from Chrome, until I bought the new 2013 Macbook Pro 15", on which IE11 renders fonts perfectly under Windows 8.1, the same as Safari does under Mac OS, while the latest Chrome fails to do so under Windows 8.1, all fonts in Chrome look just terrible, their support for retina screens appear to be non-existent. I tried many hacks suggested in the Internet - none worked. So, now I'm back to IE11. Thank you, Google.

P.S. Chrome under Mac OS works as expected, just not under Windows 8.1 where it matters.

Last edited:
This may be because Microsoft has pushed IE 11 via Windows Updates. I got this on my home computer even though I didn't really want it or use it.

My only beef regarding IE 11 is that many web sites don't like it. For example, opm.gov told some of my clients: "Your browser is not accepted in Services Online." Although tech support for many of the incompatible web sites tell people to either install an older version of IE -- which is a horrible idea -- or to use another browser. So far, using compatibility mode for the offending web sites fixed the problem.

I never thought I would go back to IE, away from Chrome, until I bought the new 2013 Macbook Pro 15", on which IE11 renders fonts perfectly under Windows 8.1, the same as Safari does under Mac OS, while the latest Chrome fails to do so under Windows 8.1, all fonts in Chrome look just terrible, their support for retina screens appear to be non-existent. I tried many hacks suggested in the Internet - none worked. So, now I'm back to IE11. Thank you, Google.

P.S. Chrome under Mac OS works as expected, just not under Windows 8.1 where it matters.

I had no idea you could use IE on a Mac.

EDIT

Yeah, I read it wrong. You're running 8.1 on the Mac as well. Gotcha.

Last edited:
I used IE11 for a couple of minutes only and it doesn't seem that bad. I don't plan on using it still, Chrome has everything I need and it's configured the way I like it.

Sound like Microsoft may have inserted the code to sleep a few seconds when you lunch chrome. It is such a cool thing to be in control of the OS.

Browser market-share is a funny thing. This NetMarketShare place has IE way, way out in front, with all other places that offer reports on browser market-share being in stark contrast to these numbers. See here http://gs.statcounter.com/#all-browser-ww-monthly-201312-201312-bar here http://clicky.com/marketshare/global/web-browsers/ here http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php?year=2013&month=12 and here http://stats.wikimedia.org/archive/squid_reports/2013-12/SquidReportCountryBrowser.htm. Does that mean that everyone else is wrong and NetMarketShare is right?

This may be because Microsoft has pushed IE 11 via Windows Updates. I got this on my home computer even though I didn't really want it or use it.

This is exactly the reason why. It breaks functionality in certain things at the moment, and a couple of our guys at work got stung by it. I later found that it's being pushed as an "Important" update.

I wish we could use IE11... or even IE10. I blame our software suite and the software support team at work. They force the use of IE8 (preferred UGH) or IE9, or pretty much every in house work related site does not work. Was complete chaos when all the Windows 7 machines started patching in IE11 automatically. Of course the same sites won't work at all with the other browsers too.

I have all these browsers and I still run Chrome 98%. Opera has some neat downloading features, Chrome doesn't have it. Pale Moon so quick but still uses 32-bit Flash even though it has 64-bit code engine. Maxthon 4 has some perks also. Slim Browser based on IE can be slugglish too. IE seems to work but I not making the move to it.

I wish we could use IE11... or even IE10. I blame our software suite and the software support team at work. They force the use of IE8 (preferred UGH) or IE9, or pretty much every in house work related site does not work. Was complete chaos when all the Windows 7 machines started patching in IE11 automatically. Of course the same sites won't work at all with the other browsers too.
The problem is often business related software is not compatible with newer versions of IE. Oracle is several generations behind!

The problem is often business related software is not compatible with newer versions of IE. Oracle is several generations behind!
I know the reason, doesn't mean I can't complain about it. XD It took 2 years for the software developers to patch their software to IE8, after IE9 was released of course. Beforehand they forced "IE6 compatibility." The reliance of buggy ActiveX code and noncompliance for markup (aka using workarounds for older versions that don't work in newer versions and the such) makes me cringe every time.

Back