IE, Vista, ISP or machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theafterglow

Hi

I'm having a problem with my laptop when browsing using IE7 on Windows Vista Home Premium. Everything is fine for about 30 minutes to an hour or so, then all of a sudden pages refuse to download any information and simply freeze.

If I restart then the problem goes away, however comes back again after another half hour or so.

I have avast 4.8 running and ZA firewall. I have tried a full system scan with Avast, Spybot, MBAM, AVG AntiSpy and Adaware, however the problem won't go away.

I have reduced the number of Avast scanners from 3 down to 1 (just the Standard Shield) to see if this fixes the problem, however it has never been an issue before and I've never had trouble with my ISP before. So is it a virus?

All suggestions welcome.

Cheers
TAG

System Specs is showing at top right, but there is no information.

How much RAM do you have installed?

Okay, you don't have enough RAM installed, which is why it's always running full out. Bare minimum for Vista is 2GB. This is typical description of too little RAM:
Everything is fine for about 30 minutes to an hour or so, then all of a sudden pages refuse to download any information and simply freeze. If I restart then the problem goes away, however comes back again after another half hour or so.

When you reboot, you free up the RAM- but the cycle continues and when there is none available, the system freezes. This is not going to stop until you get more RAM.

Okay, you don't have enough RAM installed, which is why it's always running full out. Bare minimum for Vista is 2GB. This is typical description of too little RAM:

When you reboot, you free up the RAM- but the cycle continues and when there is none available, the system freezes. This is not going to stop until you get more RAM.

OK cheers Bobbye, looks like I'm going RAM shopping! Thankfully it doesn't look expensive.

God knows why the *****s I bought it from decided to install Vista on a 1GB machine, but there we go. I guess I'll have to buy two DDR 1Gb units and install side by side.

Thanks a lot for your help.

TAG

Since the machine you now have appears to have been for an earlier operating system, but then loaded with Vista, you should check all the other system requirements in addition to the RAM. You are likely missing Vista drivers, the hard drive may be too small, etc.

For the RAM, you can go to this site and scan to see what the correct RAM configuration is:
http://www.crucial.com/

Thanks again. Will purchase these and fit them shortly.

The machine is a Toshiba Satellite L40-14N Laptop/Notebook. Intel Pentium Dual T2310 @ 1.46 GHz. 120 Gb Hard Disk.

Will check all of the drivers but would hope that they are OK.

immediately after booting
  1. launch your browser and fetch your home page (proving Internet access)
  2. get a cmd prompt and enter:
    run->cmd /k ipconfig /all >AccessTCP.txt
  3. use your system until Internet access fails
  4. rerun
    run->cmd /k ipconfig /all >AccessFailedTCP.txt
  5. attach both to your follow-up
the files will be located at
\documents and settings\yourlogin\Access*Tcp.txt

If the DNS settings have been changed, then you have some kind of virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back