Iertutil.dll not found

HarlequinPuppet

Hi, so between several family members they have managed to ruin another computer. They all deny doing things to it so I'm not sure what happened. All I know is that the following messages show on start up and do not go away:

bcmwltry.exe/explorer.exe - Unable to Locate Component
This application has failed to start because iertutil.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I try to open programs in task manager but it just freezes so I can do absolutely nothing with it. Is there anything I can try or will I need to do a clean install? I'm not even sure how to do it as it's actually a netbook so no cd.. And I'm guessing I won't be able to back up any data either?

Thanks in advance.

Boot the computer until you get the error, then hit ctrl/alt/del which will bring you to the desktop with taskmanager running. Click file/new task/cmd you will get the command window, then enter the following. (just click ok to each error message that pops up as you do this)
copy c:\windows\system32\dllcache\iertutil.dll c:\windows\system32
This will copy the iertutil.dll file to where it should be and windows will start fine. After starting a IE install box will appear, cancel that using taskmanager, the error is caused by an incorrect file deletion during the install of IE.
Or,
CTRL-ALT-DEL > File > New Task > Browse > Change "programs" to "all files" and navigate from there, as opposed using the command prompt option.
Or,
Take the HD out & slave it to another comp, then Copy & Paste iertutil into > C:\WINDOWS\system32\ on the faulty drive.
Put the drive back into the other comp, boot up & let it finish installing IE.

Thank you so much Johnwm, that worked perfectly.
Also thank you for the link Tmagic. I'm sure that will come in handy in the future knowing my family lol. :)

"the application has failed to start because iertutil.dll was not found. Re-installi

I'm running Windows XP home on an Acer laptop and when I logged in today I got the following message:-

"the application has failed to start because iertutil.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem"

I have looked at the solutions posted on the forum and tried the one recommended to Harlequin whereby you hit alt/cntrl/del as soon as the message appears and the windows task manager pane comes up OK however when I click on "File" I get "New Task (Run)" not "Command " so I run into a dead end there.

Likewise when I followed the other suggestion to start in safe mode I run into a dead end there.

Any suggestions please.

This has cost me 2 hours of time so far. Luckily I have another computer so that I can go here to get a solution

Thanks.

Robbie

Hey Robbie,
If the things in this thread didn't help you, how about doing a factory restore on the laptop?

Thanks TMagic, but what is a factory restore and how do you do it. ??

Here's what actually happens if I follow Johnwm's suggestions:-

1/ his 1st para suggestion takes me to file on the task manager pane which gives me
New Task (run) but nothing about cmd.

when I click on New Task (run) I get a window that has a heading "Create New Task" and a description which says "Type the name of a program, folder, etc etc and Windows will open it for you" In that pop-up pane I have the word "Open" with a subject line which through a drop down menu offers me C:\SUPPORT\TOOLS\SETUP.EXE or "C:\DocumentsandSetting\RobertThomas\StartMenu\Programs\Accesspries\System Tools\Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).lnk"
below which are the 3 buttons for OK CANCEL BROWSE
If I select either of the above and click OK I get a pop-up with the original iertutil.dll error message
So any ideas suggestions to what I am doing wrong to Johnwm's instructions ??

If I follow the suggestions in Johnwm's para 2 I get a Browse pane which comes up with ACER (C:) in a drop down window and displays a number of folders and files
Where should I be looking (is ACER (C:) the right area and what folder/file should I open and what do I do then??

Sorry to be so long winded but there is obviously a solution in Johnwm's instructions coz Harequin fixed his problem it's just that I"m not sure what to do when I reach the point above.

I don't like giving up and letting the computer beat me so I hope you can help me

Cheers,

Robbie T

"This application failed to start because iertutil.dll was not found. Re-installing t

Thanks TMagic, but what is a factory restore and how do you do it. ??

Here's what actually happens if I follow Johnwm's suggestions:-

1/ his 1st para suggestion takes me to file on the task manager pane which gives me
New Task (run) but nothing about cmd.

when I click on New Task (run) I get a window that has a heading "Create New Task" and a description which says "Type the name of a program, folder, etc etc and Windows will open it for you" In that pop-up pane I have the word "Open" with a subject line which through a drop down menu offers me C:\SUPPORT\TOOLS\SETUP.EXE or "C:\DocumentsandSetting\RobertThomas\StartMenu\Programs\Accesspries\System Tools\Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).lnk"
below which are the 3 buttons for OK CANCEL BROWSE
If I select either of the above and click OK I get a pop-up with the original iertutil.dll error message
So any ideas suggestions to what I am doing wrong to Johnwm's instructions ??

If I follow the suggestions in Johnwm's para 2 I get a Browse pane which comes up with ACER (C:) in a drop down window and displays a number of folders and files
Where should I be looking (is ACER (C:) the right area and what folder/file should I open and what do I do then??

Sorry to be so long winded but there is obviously a solution in Johnwm's instructions coz Harequin fixed his problem it's just that I"m not sure what to do when I reach the point above.

I don't like giving up and letting the computer beat me so I hope you can help me

Cheers,

Robbie T

When you first start the laptop do you see "press F?" options like boot or recovery options? Have you looked at the link I posted? Are you running XP?

Thanks for the prompt reply Tmagic650

Yes I am running XP home, no to the F options on startup and yes I did go to the link you posted.

I followed the instructions and went into "safe" startup mode got to a cmd.exe screen and typed in the command as per instructions hit enter and got a response "1file copied"

I then closed the computer down and restarted it and got a different error message and clicked on OK and my computer has started and I can access the emails.however when I click on the link in your email to me it doesn't take me to the web site and when I hit the web browser button (Acer has a button for mail and the www alongside the on button at the top of my laptop keyboard ) nothing happens.I needed to go into my start menu to activate firefox. I can live with that or should I do something to restore the computer to where it was.?

What is the best Malware program to download and do a scan with ?

Is there any other action that I should take ?

Thanks for your help

Robbie T

Thanks for your help

Not going to linked page

Hi Tmagic,

Thanks for your help

One upshot of gaining access to my computer again is that now if I receive an email with a clickable link in it and I click on the link nothing happens and if I click more than a couple of times the computer freezes and I need to use ctrl/alt/del to bring it back to action.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

Robbie

When I try the command prompt option I get a caution window that says you are attempting to open a file of type 'application extension's(.DLL) ... if u still want to open the file,click open with,otherwise click cancel. I click open then get window saying windows cannot open this file,use the web service to find the appropriate program or select the program from a list. Someone please help I cannot use my PC at all

It worked! Thank you so much John. I just registered myself here just to say BIG thanks to you. You saved me...:) Keep helping people... happy holidays.

Back