Iexpore.exe x2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever I start IE, two executables (iexplore.exe) show up in Task Manager. One is about 17.5M of memory and the other is about 14M. If I "End Task" on on the smaller one - the IE window closes and both copies disappear in Task Manager. If I "End Task" on the larger one - it restarts itself.

I have run AVG with the latest definitions, Malwarebytes with the latest updates, Spybot S&D, and Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition - all while in Safe Mode - and they found nothing.

I've attached a Hijackthis log - please help!:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 12:23:08 PM, on 10/17/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal

Update your computer to XP Service Pack 3 and be sure to run Windows Update manually choosing "custom". Run Windows Update until there are no more updates found

Still have problem

I updated to SP3 but I still have the same problem. Attached is a Hijackthis logfile with ONE IE window open. As you can see it opened 2 iexplore.exe in the log.

This is normal with IE8 installed, so don't worry about it. Glad you got caught up on the Windows Updates. With the release of Windows 7 this week, there are a lot of updates for XP and Vista available... Happy Computing!

Welcome to TechSpot golfnut. I'll help you check for malware. Although it is normal for IE8 to show multiple iexplore.exe processes, malware can also assume the name of almost everything. Please do the following all in NORMAL Mode:

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Save to the desktop
  • Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.
  • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.

Run the scan with Malwarebytes again> When the scan is complete, click OK, then 'Show Results' to view the results. Be sure that everything is checked, and click 'Remove Selected'.

When completed, a log will open in Notepad.

Please download SuperAntiSpyware and save to your desktop.
  • Double- click on the setup and click on 'Check for updates'.
  • Wait for the updates to be installed
  • On the main screen click on 'Scan your computer'.
  • Check: 'Perform Complete Scan then Click 'Next' to start the scan.
  • Superantispyware will now scan your computer,when it's finished it will list all/any infections found.
  • Make sure everything found has a checkmark next to it,then press 'Next'.
  • Click on 'Finish' when you've done.

It's possible that the program will ask you to reboot in order to delete some files.

Obtain the SuperAntiSpyware log as follows:
  • Click on 'Preferences'.
  • Click on the 'Statistics/Logs' tab.
  • Under 'Scanner Logs' double click on 'SuperAntiSpyware Scan Log'.

It will then open in your default text editor,such as Notepad. Attach the notepad file here on your reply

Follow with new scan using HijackThis.

Attach the logs from Malwareantibytes and Superantispyware.
Paste the log from HijackThis all in your next reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back