I'm getting mixed signals here

Zen

The short of it, now that I'm totally an Ubuntu guy, I've been studying up on the O.S., lots of on-line reading from (Yahoo) & (Google). I'm very confused on something here, about 70% to 80% of the on-line materials I have seen, say that Linux systems do not require any type of (antivirus) software!?! Then on the flip side of the same coin about 20% to 30% of the material says Linux system operate best with (antivirus) software, and the pro (antivirus) people are saying that AVG is a hot pick for Linux based system!?!

So what is it folks? Does Linux require or not require any type of (antivirus) programs? For almost a decade while using Windows 2000 based systems, XP included, I was a total security freak when it came to protecting my Windows O.S., I'm just wanting to know if I have to imply the same "security freak" methods with Linux?

"Thanks for your time here folks, I'm just confused"! :confused:

short answer; but of course it does.

Reasoning: There's no such thing as perfect software (applications or systems).
Buffer overflow and other errors allow systems to become corrupted.

When properly installed and the permission system setup correctly, the big issue becomes
HOW you operate the system - - do you carelessly logon as root?
If so, then you open the door for a simple thing like buffer overflow to corrupt the stack
and jump into unknown places using the root credentials - - bad practice.

Instead, use su root or sudo root only when necessary to perform maintenance and
then get back into your personal, everyday, non-root login.
The exposure for trojans and virus' are greatly reduced (but does not go to zero).

Every system where there's a browser or email program creates the exposure for one or more styles of infections.
The ONLY system that can not be infected is one that has no network, share nothing to or from any other system, and
never mounts a floppy, USB stick, or makes a Bluetooth connection to anything - - in short - - the system is isolated from the world of other users.

Ok, I understand about the risk factors, and that no system is immune! But if I'm hearing right, it doesn't sound like these security issues are dealt with by an outside antivirus program, but rather how one handles the O.S. in general!?!

I hear you jobeard when you say "of course it does", but is that what you are meaning, that I need to investigate a good antivirus program and install it, like AVG? Or are you referring to the "of course it does" statement, namely just saying to handle my security within Linux itself?

I will just stand by for some more clarification here, for I'm still confused. Install or not install a antivirus program, or just learn to handle my affairs within Linux itself!?!

You might want to take a look at this thread: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic161587.html

There are some good points made in there that I think will help you make a somewhat informed decision on how you want to proceed.

Thanks for making this thread available to me, I gave it a good read and came to the conclusion that I would run with an antivirus program. Mainly people statements within the thread, that "all systems are not immune" kind of made the decision for me.

So after some more research I decided to run with a program called ClamAV for Ubuntu. After the install from the Ubuntu Software Center I found three terminal line codes to fully update the program, ran all three and whoolaaa the program is now fully up to date.

While I was at it I decided on running with a firewall program as well, I got it from the Ubuntu Software Center, it's called Firestarter! Firestarter has a simple but yet fully functional GUI as well as ClamAV, both are GUI based. Seeing that I kind of prefer GUI's, seeing that I'm a former Windows man, so GUI's are right up my alley!

Thanks for the help here, I feel better knowing that all three of my Ubuntu boxes are now fully loaded with a firewall and antivirus programs.

Now I can go back to being that "security freak" that I once was! ;)

Back