I'm having relationship problems; her name is Intel 82945G Chipset. Help me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.

Been lurking this place for a while; found the articles and forum posts very interesting and useful.

With that short synopsis aside, I'm here in need of advice and/or answers to my... problem.

That problem is called my baby, otherwise known as computer, or, more specifically, her horrible "assets", otherwise known as the integrated graphics thing known as the 82945G Chipset.

Now, I'm not exactly a computer whiz; quite the opposite, in fact. You all have the right to laugh at me, mock me, or tell me I've posted in the wrong place, etc. I just need advice. Add all the hilarious commentary needed.

Anyways.

I recently got a new computer, not exactly the greatest thing, but "decent". Windows XP Home Edition, 150GB hardrive, 1GB Ram, 1.6 MHZ, a sexy monitor whose model I can't remember atm... etc, etc. It's purpose is as a workstation, but since it's the first computer I've gotten since 1999 that has more than 20GB of hard-drive space and more than 254MB Ram or whatever, I got excited to play games.

Straight to the point; I've wanted to play some (older) PC games on my computer, but I'm unsure if the integrated intel chipset thing (which took me 2 hours to research and gain a basic understanding of) can take it. An an example I want to intall Sims 2, and even though the official Intel site says my graphics card can support the game, the wikia states after sustained used the motherboard will be damaged as the chip emulates T&L, something the card doesn't have and the game "prefers". It'll eventually strain the emulation and screw my comp up.

I got four questions.

One: On a scale from 1-10, how **** is my chipset and is it even worth trying out with the Sims 2 (as an example)?

Two: I'm a complete noob and yes, I'm seriously asking this; my friend offered his old graphics card, a basic ATI model (still need to as the specific one). As this Intel computer has an integrated chipset, if I choose to swap to an independent graphics card, is it possible? Are there even ports for this design or any problems? Or do I need to give y'all my specs to answer this in more "depth"?

Three: T&L; is the emulation software/updating the drivers enough to sustain game performance for a while... or should I really just not bother with wasting time and steal my friends graphics card right away? Any suggestions? I'll post specs soon.

Four: Kinda random; whats a decent ram upgrade from my 1 GB to get her as fast as possible, under eighty bucks?

Thanks.

First thing we will need to know is the make and model of your machine.(makes it easier to get your answers).
A plug in graphics card should mostly be plug and play, provided your machine has the correct type of slots and one is available.May have to find the drivers for it or they could possibly already be installed.

==System==

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition.
Processor: Intel(R) Atom(TM)CPU 230 @ 1.60GHz (2CPU's)
Memory: 1016MB RAM
Page File: 817MB used, 1263MB Available.
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c

==Display==

Name: Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip Type: Internal
Approx. Total Memory: 224.0MB
Main Driver: igxprd32.dll
Version: 6.14.0010.4926 (English)

==Sound==

Name: Realtek HD Output Audio

==Other==
eMachinesSystem
1.60GHz, 0.99GB RAM
Windows XP Home Edition.

Copied mostly from system.

Anything else? I'm a technical douche, so...

Uh... pretty sure from my info gathered in system and direct x readings that that's all about my machine I know of, can access, and understand.

It just says eMachine, eMachine Inc.

It's a desktop. And yes, I have, but graphic performance is jerky, not slow though. Considering I have average RAM space, I'm pretty sure it's this crap onboard graphics thing that's screwing things up.

Is there a port for integrated desktops? I just want to add an independent card now, I'm sick of this.

Its very simple to add a dedicated card. You will however need to find out what type of socket is on your motherboard. Open the side of your case and you should see some empty slots on your motherboard,

There are usually 3 or so empty ones at the bottom of your case with removable back panel covers. These are pci slots and are only used for network cards, sound cards,modems and really old graphics cards.

Just above these you will find a longer slot, also with a removable back panel cover.

Look around this slot for any writing, It could be either an AGP slot or a PCIE slot.

Agp is the last standard before PCIE, and is slightly slower.

PCIE is the "new " standard at the moment.

When you have discovered what slot you have its a simple matter of picking out a card in your price range, in the appropriate ( pci, agp, pcie) form factor.

There is also a possibility there will be no expansion slot at all.. i hope this is not the case :)

Post back what kind of slot you have for some graphics card recomendations.

Put Perfectly.

Yes!!!!! I have the same graphics card. It shames me to right out the 5 digits of it but its a sturdy little ******. Here is an amazing site to see which games you can play, (ps. i recommend sims 2, i play that, also lord of the rings: battle for middle earth 2. runs okay)

They are at the lowest graphics but they are easily playable as stated on the site (ps. 945G is 82945G shortened.)

Cant post links yet but search this on google.

groups.google.com/group/intel9x-gaming/web/games-that-work-intel-gma-950

As for RAM, i have 1.99GB of ram and it goes perfectly with my 945g.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back