I'm looking for a great antivirus / firewall software

able6actual

I've given up on Symantec products and am looking for software that can handle both antivirus / firewall / spam mail etc... I'm not looking for freeware unless its really good but if anyone has any suggestions on what to buy and what to stay away from I would like to hear from you.

Thanks

There is nothing on the market that is 100% and personally I would stay away from packages that include everything.

For good all round protection I would run one of these, Avast, Avira or Microsoft Security Essentials (all free) for Anti Virus.
Get the paid for version of Malwarebytes for Anti Malware.
Get SuperAntiSpyware (free version or paid) for Anti Spy/Adware.

Then, also install a good third party firewall: Here

Secunia PSI will help keep security software up to date.

WOT will help warn you of bad internet sites.

Winpatrol will warn of anything that makes changes to your system.

Which antivirus?

I use Microsoft Security Essentials, plus Threatfire.
Firewall is the Windows 'built-in' one.
So far, no trouble, so for a free set-up it does all I want.

I use ESET Smart Security 4 and I'm actually quite happy with it :) I have tried all sorts and variants of Norton (that slowed down the computer and whined all the time), then AVG deletes and blocks files that it shouldn't touch and the same goes for Panda Cloud Antivirus, F-Secure doesn't do sh*t...and so on...that's my opinion :)

My pip goes for MSE for AV, and Comodo for Firewall. Both are free and very good in my opinion. Windows in-built firewall is OK if you don't mind the fact it doesn't stop outbound connections from your computer. If you want to stick to one total solution, Comodo Internet security is very good, and also free.

My everyday PC just uses MSE and Windows firewall and I'm yet to experience any issues.

There's nothing wrong with the freeware. The trick is to keep things updated and run regular scans.I currently use Spyware Doctor with AV which I like and pay for. They provide a free firewall application too.

I have been using Avira free since 2007 and have yet to have a security issue <touches wood>. My brothers PC had AVG free on it and after I installed Avira, it found like 15 odd viruses.
I don't use additional firewalls - win7 all the way

avast! Antivirus

is fantastic! trust me... it scanned like 100K items of mine and took away like 10 viruses I had...

~ttm

The basic Windows firewall only stops incoming attacks, it will not stop outgoing, but third party firewalls like Comodo will stop both.

If you find viruses with one scanner you should always scan with another, Malwarebytes free version and Eset online scanner are a good choice. What one Anti virus will miss another will find.

I am using Avast. This antivirus is really great! It scans your directories, files, folders and registries thoroughly.

MSE+free Malwarebytes+hardware firewall (windows firewall off).
Software firewall makes sense on a laptop, not a desktop IMO.

Back