IMAX's Private Home Theater brings the big screen to you

Shawn Knight

Staff member

If you’ve got a cool million or two lying around and you want the ultimate in home theater entertainment, look no further than IMAX. The company recently announced plans to offer a select few the opportunity to bring the IMAX experience right to the comforts of their own home via a custom-designed, private home theater.

It’s unclear if the “select few” is in reference to a limited number of installs available or the fact that few could afford to own what IMAX describes as the world’s most immersive and luxurious entertainment experience.

imax home theater

IMAX will design every aspect of the private theater – from their renowned projection and sound technology to the room acoustics and theater geometry – to work as a fully integrated solution optimized specifically for each install. The team works directly with your architects, developers, interior designers and custom installers to ensure everything is built to IMAX’s exacting performance standards while catering to your specific design preferences.

Once the system is installed, there won’t be any further work required on your part. That’s because the system is connected to their Commercial Service Center with 24/7/365 remote monitoring. If something does go down, IMAX promises a response time of less than five minutes. There’s also preventative maintenance, performance tuning and on-the-ground support – all free of charge, of course.

Outside of Hollywood A-listers, we can’t imagine there are too many people that would be willing to throw down this kind of dough for a home theater system. Either way, however, it’s nice to see something like this finally being offered in the home.

Permalink to story.

Is there any info on whether this set-up provides the buyer with access to a full media library or is that something they have to build on their own? I would think that the IMAX experience would be hard to emulate from a BR disc and would require the theatrical film versions to be truly worthwhile. Some more notes on what this actually entails would have been nice. I mean the hardware is fun to talk about and all but without the proper media it is kind of pointless, like having a Ferrari or Lamborghini with no gas.

Additional info to add to my previous post:

"Those lucky customers will get an IMAX-designed theater with “proprietary, state-of-the-art dual 4K projection system” in 2D and 3D, a “custom, patented surround-sound system. These private IMAX screens don’t look quite as jumbo as the ones seen in theaters, but they will have the same floor-to-ceiling, wall-to-wall, curved design to help provide “the most immersive movie experience in the world.” And should any of these elements run into trouble, IMAX will also offer 24/7/365 maintenance and support services with a 5-minute response time."

Source: slashfilm article, imax-introduces-home-theater-systems

Seriously, it all doesn't cost more than 100K. It's just for those who got 10 times more money than sense.
I do agree with you, but a do it yourself doesn't come with a service plan either. lol

I'm wondering what kind of services and how many are available.

Careful quoting me, or IMAX may read it and decide, well, Ok, we will install this thing for him with a good 10% discount then! :)
well_played_Rage_amp_Meme_Postlet-s332x360-305156-535.jpg

I might have 2K to throw at it. What are the odds they would give a 99.9% discount? :D
I would petition for an official inquiry to find out ;)

The most I ever spent on this kind of stuff was to buy DELL U3014 couple weeks ago. Great product, but it still hurts my wallet that's now empty.

I worked on a few home theatres about
$2,000,000 to waste. And what do you get for this?

1. A good 4K 3D Projector that's not better than this one: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VPL-VW10...8&qid=1367538679&sr=8-1&keywords=4K+Projector

2. A sound system worth 20-30K or so;

3. A big-*** white sheet, quite cheap

4. A few sits.

Seriously, it all doesn't cost more than 100K. It's just for those who got 10 times more money than sense.

I never understand why people think a white sheet is all you need for a screen. A proper projector screen makes a huge difference between a picture and a picture worth watching.

I never understand why people think a white sheet is all you need for a screen. A proper projector screen makes a huge difference between a picture and a picture worth watching.

Nobody really said that here ;) However, based on prices one pays for projector screens today...

It is all of course individual. If you want a screen from Draper and pay the top dollar for it, you can do it, but buying a screen from Draper is the same as buying this cinema from IMAX, prices would be just as reasonable.

I think the following is a very cheap example: http://www.amazon.com/Draper-StageS...qid=1367549828&sr=8-12&keywords=draper+screen

Once you go for a bigger size, Draper thinks it is ok to multiply the price 10-100 times, same mindset as IMAX, I guess.

Nobody really said that here ;) However, based on prices one pays for projector screens today...

It is all of course individual. If you want a screen from Draper and pay the top dollar for it, you can do it, but buying a screen from Draper is the same as buying this cinema from IMAX, prices would be just as reasonable.

Very true, personally If I had that kind of cash I'd get a highend a/v shop to build on for me for a lot less (I actually used to work for one years ago). As for the screen, I actually always liked the look/performance of the Stewart screens to the Drapers.

I refuse to spend money on the "IMAX" versions of movies that weren't shot on IMAX cameras. And very few films actually use them. I can only think of one coming out this year that was actually shot on IMAX

Sure you can get a cheap 4K projector but it doesnt come close to a true imax projector which for 2mil they should be providing (or else its hardly imax). I bet a pair of them (for 3D) could set you back 1 mil?

Some overrated films I'd love to catch up on this IMAX home theater are James Cameron's Avatar and The Dark Knight which was shot on IMAX cam I believe. :D
Would that really be a prerequisite, to getting a good IMAX experience with this home theater?

Back