Infected with popups for PC Antispyware and System Protection control panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep getting popups for the above mentioned items. I have run Avast antivirus, Spybot S+D, as well as a Trend Housecall online scan and an AdAware 2007 scan, but yet these keep popping up. I see that there are quite a few others out there with the same problem. I have downloaded HiJack this and saved a log which I am attaching to this post. I would very much appreciate any help offered.

Thanks in advance,
Marc

yep you got it

Update your Java Runtime Environment
  • First try going to Start -> Control Panel -> double click Java
  • Select the Update Tab at the top of the Java console
  • Click the Check for Updates button at the bottom
  • If it finds the newer version (Java 6 Update 5) Follow the on screen instructions
  • After it installs the newest version Go back to Control Panel -> Add/remove programs
  • Uninstall any older versions of Java

If for some reason you couldn't update through the above instructions.
  • Click the following link
    Java Runtime Environment 6 Update 5
  • The 4th option down is the one you want (click Download)
  • Check the box to agree to terms of service
  • Check the box for your operating system and click 'Download selected'at the bottom
  • After the install Go to Start-> Control Panel-> add/remove programs (Programs and features), and uninstall any old versions
  • Navigate to C:\programfiles\Java -> delete any subfolders except the jre1.6.0_05 folder

============================================

You aren't running Firewall Software. Please download and install one of these first!

Use a Firewall - It is very important that you use a Firewall on your computer. If you use the Windows Firewall you might think that's enough but it only controls inbound traffic. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly. Here are some firewalls which are free for personal use and most commonly used:
Comodo
Kerio
Online Armor
Zonealarm

============================================

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

• Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When completed, a log will open in Notepad. please copy and paste the log into your next reply
    • If you accidently close it, the log file is saved here and will be named like this:
    • C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\mbam-log-date (time).txt

=================================

After following the above instructions please attach a fresh Hijackthis log with the MBAM log

Hi Blind dragon... I have completed the steps that you outlined. I am attaching the new HJT log and the MBAM log. When I ran HJT I did not apply any fixes, should I have? Thanks for your help so far.

Marc

Please re-open HiJackThis and scan. Check the boxes next to all the entries listed below.

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://g.msn.com/0SEENUS/SAOS01?FORM=TOOLBR
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://g.msn.com/0SEENUS/SAOS01?FORM=TOOLBR
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://g.msn.com/0SEENUS/SAOS01?FORM=TOOLBR
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - ?p=ZK
O20 - Winlogon Notify: tuvwwvs - tuvwwvs.dll (file missing)

Now close all windows other than HiJackThis, then click Fix Checked. Close HiJackThis.

Run Kaspersky Online AV Scanner

Order to use it you have to use Internet Explorer.
Go to Kaspersky and click the Accept button at the end of the page.

Note for Internet Explorer 7 users: If at any time you have trouble with the accept button of the licence, click on the Zoom tool located at the right bottom of the IE window and set the zoom to 75 %. Once the license accepted, reset to 100%.
  • Read the Requirements and limitations before you click Accept.
  • Allow the ActiveX download if necessary.
  • Once the database has downloaded, click Next.
  • Click Scan Settings and change the "Scan using the following antivirus database" from standard to extended and then click OK.
  • Click on "My Computer"
  • When the scan has completed, click Save Report As...
  • Enter a name for the file in the Filename: text box and then click the down arrow to the right of Save as type: and select text file (*.txt)
  • Click Save - by default the file will be saved to your Desktop, but you can change this if you wish.
Attach the report into your next reply

I have done the next steps... here is the Kaspersky log. Also to note... the popups seem to have stopped.

Once again... thanks for your help.

Few more things then we will clean up.

Download and Run ATF Cleaner
Download ATF Cleaner by Atribune to your desktop.

Double-click ATF Cleaner.exe to open it.

Under Main choose:
Windows Temp
Current User Temp
All Users Temp
Cookies
Temporary Internet Files
Prefetch
Java Cache

*The other boxes are optional*
Then click the Empty Selected button.

Firefox or Opera:
Click Firefox or Opera at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click NO at the prompt.

Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Launch Spybot S&D

Click on the Recovery Icon at the top

Highlight anything there and select Purge ALL

-------------------------------------------------------------

Delete this music file from your collection:
C:\Documents and Settings\MARC\My Download Files\Music\a place in the world.mp3

---------------------------------------------------------------

When you are done run one more Hijackthis and attach it here

Set correct settings for files
  • Click Start > My Computer > Tools menu (at top of page) > Folder Options > View tab.
  • Under "Hidden files and folders" if necessary select Do not show hidden files and folders.
  • If unchecked please check Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • If necessary check "Display content of system folders"
  • If necessary Uncheck Hide file extensions for known file types.
  • Click OK

clear system restore points

• This is a good time to clear your existing system restore points and establish a new clean restore point:
    • Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore
    • Select Create a restore point, and Ok it.
    • Next, go to Start > Run and type in cleanmgr
    • Select the More options tab
    • Choose the option to clean up system restore and OK it.
    This will remove all restore points except the new one you just created.

here are some additional utilities that will enhance your safety

• IE/Spyad <= IE/Spyad places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
  • Winpatrol <= Download and install the free version of Winpatrol. a tutorial for this product is located here:
    Using Winpatrol to protect your computer from malicious software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back