Infinite loop after installing windows updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

lopdog

Hi!

I use Windows Vista Ultimate for my secondary PC (AMD Athlon XP 2400+ with 1.50 GB ram). Usually when windows tells me to reboot to install new updates, everything works fine, but sometimes it goes into an infinite loop: It boots, starts to load windows, shows me a screen saying something like "please wait while windows installs updates, step 3 of 3, 0%"
Then it says "Shutting down", reboots, and here we go again. I can't boot into safe mode either.

This has happened 2-3 times before, and the only solution I've found is to boot from the Vista DVD and go back with System Restore. Then I can disable the last updates.

Is this a known problem? Do I have to disable the Windows Update completely?

I never heard of that particular problem Usually an update will prevent Windows from loading and once it is removed everything is fine. I would try a repair installation of Windows. If that fails then you might have to do a clean install.

I find it strange too. I'll try the repair installation, and see how it works. Maybe I'll just throw out Vista and do a clean install of Windows 7. Right now I've disabled Windows update to avoid more problems, but that may be a security issue too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back