[Info] UK Scam "Virtual PC Doctor" reappears

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlbertLionheart

Heads up if you have not come across this before:
I run a small IT support company in middle England and today one of my clients received a call from someone with a strong Asian accent calling himself Aran Smith. As she was widowed 10 days ago she is not at her best, and she told Mr Smith of her circumstances hoping that he might go away. Far from it; seeing a victim on her own he pressed her to allow him to have remote access to her PC.
He installed Logmein and also a piece of software called Advanced Windows Care V2 Personal. It also modifies msconfig to make these programmes run at boot, logging the PC onto Mr Smith's system, It downloads and runs 000-AWC.exe.
Fortunately my client smelt a rat and phoned me on her mobile, leaving Mr Smioth on her landline. I told her to turn off the router to close the connection - whereupon our Mr Smith went slightly beserk and told that she had done ultold damage to her machine. On the pretext of promising to call back she managed to get his details and phone number in London.
My thoughts are that this is a highly professional scam; to the extnent that it has even written posts on various forums assuring that their software is safe.
The company is called ammyy, has a nice credidble website at [b]Edit: URL and pnone number deleted by Bobbye[/b] and Aran Smith is XXXXX. This is a London number.
I eventually had a look at the machine and cleared everything installed by Mr Smith. I have no idea if he had time to extract any private information.
I have also left a message for the local police but they are rather busy at the moment with other work so I don't expect to hear back from them.

Edit: Please don't leave hyperlinks or phone numbers for suspicious sites.

Please note: Advanced Windows Care V2 Personal is put out by IOBit. It is a legitimate program. AWC.exe is the executable for the program. Logmein is use for remote help.

What did the caller give as the reason for the call and remote help? The user must take some responsibility for allowing the remote connection.

FYI, although AWC is legitimate, I always suggest removing it. And when looking for download sites, the IOBit site itself is not well rated by WOT.

I understand that the reason given was that 'I am calling from Microsoft/Windows/your ISP and your machine has been detected as having spamming/illegal/dangerous sofgtware on it. They start by implying it is a free service but then move on to saying the problem is so bad it cannot be repaired for free and a charge has to be made,

You might suggest that the call be reported to the Government department for CyberSecurity in your country.

If I could find it! They are so secretive that have to stick their heads up the own secret little places to ask who they are.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back