Install ActiveX Controls

Status
Not open for further replies.

jckinnick

When i use Windows Update it runs a something like a blocked pop up and it says "Install Active X Controls" I can click on the bar and hit run on all websites to fix it, but is there a way to get it to work normally. I recently accidentally deleted some of my Windows components and IE was one of them and its done this ever since.

When i load my normal internet explorer homepage it doesn't do this only on the Windows and Microsoft update pages.

Normally when you selected it once it should work for every time automatically but as you deleted some files this may cause the problem. I will recommend you to re-install your Internet Explorer from the microsoft website.

Normally when you selected it once it should work for every time automatically but as you deleted some files this may cause the problem. I will recommend you to re-install your Internet Explorer from the microsoft website.

Normal Internet Explorer works fine though its just the Windows Updates page?

Ok but windows do not update itself automatically? Normally you should not have to use windows update page as it is done automatically for you.

What do you think uninstall first, or can you uninstall internet explorer without going through remove windows components?

Check out your Add/Remove Programs from the Control Panel,if you find your current Internet Explorer then un-install it. Now download new Internet Explorer from Microsoft's website. Try Internet Explorer 8 which supports many AJAX controls and give more facilities for better reliability. Or you can just install the full version of your desired browser than after complete installation start your work.

I just reinstalled IE 8 all together and it removed the old version during the process. Seems to be working now.

try Spywareblaster (one word); It is a blacklist of ActiveX components

suggest also you install a new hosts file; see this

try Spywareblaster (one word); It is a blacklist of ActiveX components

suggest also you install a new hosts file; see this

I reinstalled IE8 again and its working but for how long i don't know. I think what may have caused it to screw up was something i blocked called "silent updates". My firewall popped up and kept saying something about silent updates, that sounded suspicious so i blocked it. Come to find out it has something to do with Windows.

Well like i said it was working when i checked Windows Update after i reinstalled IE8 but then one day later when i checked Windows Update again it brings up a set up IE screen i click through it and its back to activex add ons. Does anybody know whats going on?

Autoupdate is frequently enabled by MS.

Imo, it appears you are online using an Admin Account which is sucidal. Any infection
will have full access and control of your system.

open the Control panel ->User Accounts.

if you see more than just your ID, then you're on an Admin account

I see both Owner Computer Administrator and Guest "guest account is turned off". Does that mean i have an Admin account?
YES. Every system has an Admin, and your system ONLY has the Admin and the Guest account (which is correctly disabled).

humm; is that two accounts or three? Either way these are Admin accounts and you need to start using a Limited Account for daily activity.

Line of actions:
  1. Add a new account (any name) and make it a Limited Account
  2. set How Users logon ([x] both boxes)
    and then Run->Services.msc
    set Fast User Switching to Automatic and start it
  3. set passwords on all accounts
  4. get 'clean' again
  5. start using the Limited Account daily instead of the Admin

[#3) set the Limited Account password first and then
for the Admin you can put ADM- as a prefix making it easier to remember :)

YES. Every system has an Admin, and your system ONLY has the Admin and the Guest account (which is correctly disabled).

humm; is that two accounts or three? Either way these are Admin accounts and you need to start using a Limited Account for daily activity.

Line of actions:
  4. get 'clean' again

Will this change anything on my desktop? Will i have to log in every time i sign on to my computer?

Im the only one who uses this computer, when you said administration accounts are not safe were you talking about how people could get on to my computer without having to sign in since i am using an administration account?

Could i not change my owner account without having to add a whole new one?

Will this change anything on my desktop? Will i have to log in every time i sign on to my computer?
Basically, YES, however, you could leave the LUA account w/o a password without fear which allows a a simple Click to run that ID
when you said administration accounts are not safe were you talking about how people could get on to my computer without having to sign in since i am using an administration account?
It's not an issue of access via the keyboard but rather that every program the admin runs, including the browser, allows full access to the system. Any virus or trojan loaded by the browser will instantly be able to modify your system. [*]
Could i not change my owner account without having to add a whole new one?
That's the complex way. Easier to create the LUA account and just start using it.

[*] see this for a full description and picture of Lua vs Admin

Basically, YES, however, you could leave the LUA account w/o a password without fear which allows a a simple Click to run that ID
It's not an issue of access via the keyboard but rather that every program the admin runs, including the browser, allows full access to the system. Any virus or trojan loaded by the browser will instantly be able to modify your system. [*]

That's the complex way. Easier to create the LUA account and just start using it.

[*] see this for a full description and picture of Lua vs Admin

What about my windows settings? If i create a new account will i have to set up all my windows settings again?

Line of actions:
  4. get 'clean' again

I created a new account and made it limited, but what does "get clean again" mean? I also didn't see anything that said "set how users logon", and i did add passwords to all accounts. It also asked me if i wanted to make my files private and i clicked yes.

I also tried adding a password to the guest account which i guess you cant do.

Line of actions:
  4. get 'clean' again

I also cant figure out how to set the Fast User Switching to Automatic. All i see is stop and restart.

Fast User -> properties -> {Auto, Manual, Disable} choose Auto

to set a password on Guest;
  • first ENABLE the account
  • then set the password
  • then disable it again

I created a new account and made it limited, but what does "get clean again" mean?
get all your virus's, trojans and malware out of the system; eg get it clean :wink:
I also didn't see anything that said "set how users logon",
use the Control Panel ->User Accounts.
All the account names will show up and there are a list of actions above them
  • add account
  • delete account
  • change account
  • set the way users log on
and i did add passwords to all accounts. It also asked me if i wanted to make my files private and i clicked yes.
great! :)

Fast User -> properties -> {Auto, Manual, Disable} choose Auto

to set a password on Guest;
  • first ENABLE the account
  • then set the password
  • then disable it again

get all your virus's, trojans and malware out of the system; eg get it clean :wink:
use the Control Panel ->User Accounts.
All the account names will show up and there are a list of actions above them
  • add account
  • delete account
  • change account
  • set the way users log on
great! :)

Ok i got it all figured out. I logged on to my personal account and it was almost like starting from scratch all my setting and some of my programs were gone. I think im going to stick with the owner account but with the added password that i enabled for a little while longer until i can get everything set the way i want it on my personal account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back