Installed XFX Radeon HD 5550 and no display

rabbitboi

Alright so last week my graphics card just died while i was playing starcraft 2, went shopping and bought a xfx radeon hd 5550. Hooked it up to hdmi and nothing. The computer runs, the fan is spining on the graphics card but no display.
So i tried to plug my cable into the onboard card but nothing (even when i took out the 5550) but nothing. (used avg too but no go lol )
So i can't really go into the bios or install drivers or anything like that. Sooo what do i do to get my display back without video output?

Mobo Asus m4a785td-m evo
600w PSU, win7 64bit
and the xfx doesnt need external power

And when i mean died, screen flickered and bam the onboard graphic fan died and if failed to startup ever again lol

really appreciate ur help thx in advance

If the system speaker is correctly connected to the motherboard then it sounds like it could be a problem with the motherboard, hope you haven't thrown away the old card as it might actually still work. Do you have any friends with a computer you could test the graphics cards in? or access to another computer you could test them in?

Sounds like your motherboard might be dead too. If the ram is of same type in the other PC try it too. Basically the only way forward is to try and rule every component one at a time. Try starting the machine with just CPU and 1 stick of ram.

Alright I will give it a try and see what happens. Also I forgot to mention that the onboard graphics card didn't work in the first place, prob just forgot to install thhe drivers for it. Also the comp and mobo were working fine before, used my older graphics card in the computer and it worked for a little while and then it also died out. Tried the card in another comp but it was for sure dead. Does this change anything?

Did you set your Primary Display Adapter to PCI-E from the BIOS before installing the new card ?

Yeah I did for the old card, but for the new one I cannot go into bios or windows because I have no monitor output. The last card I just stuck it in and it worked for some reason this won't plug and pplay.

all right, so i finally solved the problem, the mobo had some kind of weird error on it. Was shipped a new one and updated the os to win7 64bit .

My new problem is that i still have the same graphics card and i have downloaded and installed the latest os appropriate drivers. Cept windows keeps saying that, "address problem with ati graphics driver", so naturally uninstalled and reinstalled. Even took it into to the shop (warranty) and they said the card was fine. I searched forums and such and didnt find a solution. I used driver cleaner and few other programs (mem test) and still nothing.

O and i mean that when that message pops up, my computer will blue screen or crash when i start watching a movie, playing a game or just randomly. BCCode 3b

You would be best served by creating a new thread with your new problem rabbitboi. :)

Back