Intel 10th-gen Core CPUs get big price cuts: would you pick more cores or better single...

Highly anticipated: In preparation to the launch of 11th-gen Core processors a.k.a. Rocket Lake, Intel has made significant price cuts in order to clear inventory of current-gen CPUs, providing some interesting alternatives to consumers, especially for gamers looking for a 6 or 8-core CPU.

As we've discussed in recent weeks, stock of AMD Ryzen processors is not as good which means that some models are completely unavailable or they might be selling for less attractive pricing, even above the MSRP, depending on where you live.

The Core i5-10600K has been brought down to $189 and you can find them in Micro Center at that price, while at Amazon and Newegg they're going for a somewhat less aggressive $225. As usual pricing in Europe is a little higher, but you can still get the 10600K for €208 at Mindfactory, one of the biggest retailers in Germany. This 6 core, 12 thread CPU comes with a 4.1 GHz base clock, 4.8 GHz boost clock, integrated graphics and is fully unlocked given that you have an appropriate board.

The Core i7-10700K has been discounted as well, with new price reductions this 8-core comes down to $250 at Micro Center, or €299 on Mindfactory. With 3.8 GHz base and 5.1 GHz boost clocks, it brings the competition to the Ryzen 3700X/3800X models from AMD. For US shoppers this presents a good value, but in Europe prices are comparative, and it is down to the users to make a choice based on platform and performance in a specific scenario.

If 8 cores are not enough and you can use 2 more cores in your workloads, the Core i9-10900K can now be had for $400 at Micro Center, this makes an interesting situation where in the US the 10900K is now cheaper than 5800X, but in Europe where 10900K is priced over €400 it is undercut by 5800x which currently can be had for €399 here. At Amazon, the 10900K is not as affordable coming in at $460, or $420 for the 10900KF model.

With these new prices it seems that the choice for consumers is getting harder, but in this case it is a good thing as there's more choice between cores, power and single thread performance and users can fine tune their choice depending on their needs.

Permalink to story.

For a gaming rig, better single threaded performance. However, since I recycle all my computer parts into servers or whatever in my home lab, I always pick more cores over single threaded performance

I wish AMD would get their heads out of their behinds and released their G processors more widely: I wouldn't consider intel if I could just pick up a 4650g or a 4750g at regular retail stores but no, can't do that: Only for system integrators and this is the hill that they want to die on.

And before anyone mentions yes: This is a very good time to consider integrated graphics even if it's not for the more esoteric uses like running multiple VMs and such simply because many users could just you know, don't get a GPU until prices come back down to normal

But nope, they apparently must concede this easily winnable part of the market to intel it seems. It's not very significant but it wouldn't hurt to just send a few Ryzen G chips above the 4 cores to retailers. We know you have em and we know you have a lot of them since they're not rare on office machines and such.

There's a wind of new DDR5-supporting products coming that will blow them all away. There is also a sense that both Intel and AMD are purposely hiding it till the last moment, because it will kill any current stock they have.

From that point, buying any new PC now won't be a good value, however you spin it. We are now in the "wait, don't buy" zone. :)

Last edited:
I'd pick lower power consumption and temperatures, as in the long run that'll be where you save money.

So, AMD.

You see I had the 5800X running stock with PBO enabled and now I have 5.0Ghz all core Core i9 10850K at 1.368v and on the same cooler a Deepcool Castle V2 360mm RGB my temperatures are lower on the i9!! Power draw isn't that bad either. If this even lower prices reach UK AMD will be priced out of the market here because they are already hard to recommend to be honest

You see I had the 5800X running stock with PBO enabled and now I have 5.0Ghz all core Core i9 10850K at 1.368v and on the same cooler a Deepcool Castle V2 360mm RGB my temperatures are lower on the i9!! Power draw isn't that bad either. If this even lower prices reach UK AMD will be priced out of the market here because they are already hard to recommend to be honest
Temp != Power consumption though, so envirovores point still stands as power drives running costs. Agree that the 10th gen parts are well priced (and will remain so until Intel clears the channel for Rocketlake), amazing what competition can do.

I wish AMD would get their heads out of their behinds and released their G processors more widely: I wouldn't consider intel if I could just pick up a 4650g or a 4750g at regular retail stores but no, can't do that: Only for system integrators and this is the hill that they want to die on.

And before anyone mentions yes: This is a very good time to consider integrated graphics even if it's not for the more esoteric uses like running multiple VMs and such simply because many users could just you know, don't get a GPU until prices come back down to normal

But nope, they apparently must concede this easily winnable part of the market to intel it seems. It's not very significant but it wouldn't hurt to just send a few Ryzen G chips above the 4 cores to retailers. We know you have em and we know you have a lot of them since they're not rare on office machines and such.

I grabbed a 4650G from Amazon (grey import) and it is a great chip. I'm not so sure AMD has lots of them however, it is a Renoir die and with them being a ~150mm2 7nm die that is likely tight supply. I suspect every die is required to meet AMD's contract obligations to OEM's, a market AMD has been trying to crack for ages (much more reliable revenue stream than us fickle enthusiast's) and which values supplier dependability almost over price. If AMD can't maintain their supply then they'll have less design wins in the future even if future supply improves, just because OEM's won't want to take the risk again. Sucks for us, but makes business sense as well.

Last edited:
If Intel just did the changes then some stores even online wont update prices right away. Some can even take weeks to update. So things will be interesting this week and next week if stores drop the prices.

Temp != Power consumption though, so envirovores point still stands as power drives running costs. Agree that the 10th gen parts are well priced (and will remain so until Intel clears the channel for Rocketlake), amazing what competition can do.

I grabbed a 4650G from Amazon (grey import) and it is a great chip. I'm not so sure AMD has lots of them however, it is a Renoir die and with them being a ~150mm2 7nm die that is likely tight supply. I suspect every die is required to meet AMD's contract obligations to OEM's, a market AMD has been trying to crack for ages (much more reliable revenue stream than us fickle enthusiast's) and which values supplier dependability almost over price. If AMD can't maintain their supply then they'll have less design wins in the future even if future supply improves, just because OEM's won't want to take the risk again. Sucks for us, but makes business sense as well.

Temperature does not equal power draw. Ryzen 7 5800X has a smaller die area so its harder to cool it even though it has a smaller power draw and with PBO the voltage can go as high as 1.5v to boost to 4850Mhz, I was getting on average 10C higher temperature on the R7 vs the overclocked i9 and in some games it would be 16C. This 14nm i9 is a pretty large chip and it doesn't need crazy high voltage to OC to 5.0Ghz so its actually way easier to cool and while gaming I haven't seen higher power draw than 150 watts

Horses for courses - for some a great buy - If I was wanting to build a top PC - and couldn't get close to MMP and wasn't in a hurry - I would hold off to DD5 , Zen4 and intel next year ones - plus next gen graphics and 2 or 4 tb SSD/M2 drives become cheaper and faster

Still most power gamers - gaming at 1440p or 4k - then a cheap buy now is great option

It does makes sense that it goes back to their TSMC allowance issues since well, even before those there's first:

1) Consoles then
2) Epyc (Because long term they should really solidify Epyc for the server space and not let intel claw back any ground, that's the only way to eventually come out on top) and then
3) Ryzen. But that's also without forgetting they want to allocate at least some:
4) RDNA

So while consoles kept AMD alive during their Bulldozer fiasco days, they're also kind of a limiting factor since they're spread way too thin at this point.

It's not very significant but it wouldn't hurt to just send a few Ryzen G chips above the 4 cores to retailers.

You just solved the case on why those chips aren't being made.

AMD chose to launch everything they had in late 2020, and they need the higher margin parts to be priority especially with the supply issues we read about every day.

1) Consoles then
2) Epyc (Because long term they should really solidify Epyc for the server space and not let intel claw back any ground, that's the only way to eventually come out on top) and then
3) Ryzen. But that's also without forgetting they want to allocate at least some:
4) RDNA
There's more to add into that list from AMD, and looks busier once you expand out the full N7 (and variants) inventory:

(1) Xbox Series X/S chip
(2) PlayStation 5 chip
(3) Zen 2 chiplets for Ryzen, Threadripper, EPYC (probably only still being made for the last two)
(4) Zen 3 chiplets for R,T, E
(5) Renoir, Cezanne, and Lucienne chips
(6) GCN 5.1 (probably not being made now, but depending on orders from Apple and others, it could be)
(6) RNDA 1
(7) RNDA 2
(8) CDNA 1

Then there's other orders, such as Qualcomm, Huawei, Ampere Altra and AWS Graviton2, etc. The N7 fabs will be absolutely chock full with orders.

There's more to add into that list from AMD, and looks busier once you expand out the full N7 (and variants) inventory:

(1) Xbox Series X/S chip
(2) PlayStation 5 chip
(3) Zen 2 chiplets for Ryzen, Threadripper, EPYC (probably only still being made for the last two)
(4) Zen 3 chiplets for R,T, E
(5) Renoir, Cezanne, and Lucienne chips
(6) GCN 5.1 (probably not being made now, but depending on orders from Apple and others, it could be)
(6) RNDA 1
(7) RNDA 2
(8) CDNA 1

Then there's other orders, such as Qualcomm, Huawei, Ampere Altra and AWS Graviton2, etc. The N7 fabs will be absolutely chock full with orders.

I bet you Global Foundry must regret pulling out of 7nm now, they would make a killing :joy:

There's a wind of new DDR5-supporting products coming that will blow them all away. There is also a sense that both Intel and AMD are purposely hiding it till the last moment, because it will kill any current stock they have.

From that point, buying any new PC now won't be a good value, however you spin it. We are now in the "wait, don't buy" zone. :)

Yeah, I'm not sure about this. Don't buy just because DDR5 is on the horizon? I don't think that's enough to keep me from pulling the trigger on buying a new system if the prices are right. The fact is there are real supply shortages from what I've been reading on Techspot articles. And DDR4 speeds are quite high comparatively to the slowest DDR5 speeds anyway. I actually would recommend waiting out the high and inflated prices of graphics cards and SSDs. But I think there are still fair deals to be had on prebuilt systems. They gotta keep the stock moving, you know.

Yeah, I'm not sure about this. Don't buy just because DDR5 is on the horizon? I don't think that's enough to keep me from pulling the trigger on buying a new system if the prices are right. The fact is there are real supply shortages from what I've been reading on Techspot articles. And DDR4 speeds are quite high comparatively to the slowest DDR5 speeds anyway. I actually would recommend waiting out the high and inflated prices of graphics cards and SSDs. But I think there are still fair deals to be had on prebuilt systems. They gotta keep the stock moving, you know.

DDR5 will cost a fortune when is first out, no point waiting for it if you can get really fast DDR4 pretty cheap

Well you better to get in now as memory prices are going to increase up to 20%. I now have all my components for my new build and got 32 GB 3600 CL16 memory for my 3700X at great price. Down the track I may replace the 3700X with a 5800X or one of the G processors. I also skipped current gen GPU and got a steal on a 2080 Super, which is more than enough for 1440p gaming.

DDR5 will cost a fortune when is first out, no point waiting for it if you can get really fast DDR4 pretty cheap

I hear that a lot but really its just speculation. If DDR5 arrives before cpu/motherboard vendors hardware does then it could go really cheap until the supporting hardware hits the market. But even assuming everybody is in sync with each other at the right time, that is, cpu/motherboard/memory producers...the demand for that new technology may be low. Demand and supply will set the price and so who really knows for sure. The "pandemic" has caused unprecedented demand for current generation hardware so people may not see a need or strong desire to upgrade to DDR5, right away, if they already upgraded for the "pandemic".

I hear that a lot but really its just speculation. If DDR5 arrives before cpu/motherboard vendors hardware does then it could go really cheap until the supporting hardware hits the market. But even assuming everybody is in sync with each other at the right time, that is, cpu/motherboard/memory producers...the demand for that new technology may be low. Demand and supply will set the price and so who really knows for sure. The "pandemic" has caused unprecedented demand for current generation hardware so people may not see a need or strong desire to upgrade to DDR5, right away, if they already upgraded for the "pandemic".

AFAIK DDR memory has always arrived way before official support and early generation of it merely matches previos generation fast memory: most new hardware for a new ddr standard cannot achieve timings fast enough to catch up to the "slower" previous gen memory at just higher clock and more important, tighter timings.

So is it speculation? Technically yes, but since this has been true at least 3 times in the past already I would say it's a fairly educated speculative take to have: I just don't think that for consumers, wanting to jump to a higher theoretical speed ram standard is an "Avoid all rig builds before it launches" kind of deal, not to the extend we know a new generational jump for CPU or specially for GPU do deter sales in that regard.

"Intel 10th-gen Core CPUs get big price cuts: would you pick more cores or better single thread performance?"

Neither.

I would pick a platform that's not dead end or forces me to get a new motherboard every time Intel vomits a new CPU!!

I feel the Ryzen 7 5800X is an outlier here. This chip probably runs the hottest in the entire Ryzen 5000 series because its utilizing a CCX with a tiny surface area to cool, compared with the monolithic design used by the Intel chip. A better comparison should be the 5900X in my opinion.

10850k is 320 bucks. that is a steal tbh
amd cpus are overpriced right now, basically the tables have turned, which everyone said it wouldn't happen, but it did.
I don't disagree that AMD chips are on the pricier side now, but I feel people should not consider the prices of CPU in silo. In order to overclock say an Intel i9 10850K, you will need to invest in an expensive Z490/590 board, whereas you can make do with a less expensive B550 board for AMD chips. So whatever savings you get from buying the Intel processor, its basically negated by the cost of the motherboard.

Back