Intel 11900K and 11700K processors are annihilating the Geekbench single-core test

mongeese

Staff
Something to look forward to: In some early benchmarks, Intel's eleventh generation are demolishing their predecessors and putting up a good fight against their competitors. It's a safe bet to say these will be some sought-after processors.

In the past couple of days, a smattering of i9-11900K, i7-11700K, and i5-11500 Geekbench scores have entered the scene. Intel's flagship waded into the foray of the leaderboards. Though it's difficult to tell, it looks as if the 11900K is only beat by processors running a different operating system or using an extreme overclock.

To frame the scene, a Ryzen R9 5950X typically gets 1682 points in the single-core test, and the 10900K, 1402. The upcoming 11900K got 1892, a 35% generational leap and a 12% advantage over the Ryzen part. The 11700K was only a hair behind, with four scores at about the 1810 mark.

As we've mentioned before, Intel's upcoming Core i7 and i9 processors will be an 8-core affair, only, so their multi-core scores aren't stellar, but they're good for the core count. The 11900K got 10934, while the 11700K ranged from 10639 to 11287. AMD's octa-core 5800X is slightly behind with 10426 points, while the current 10-core 10900K lands in between with 10930 points.

There's been concern that the 11900K's eight cores could fall behind the 10900K's ten. The good news (though it sounds silly) is that these results say that the 11900K will be better than the 10900K in every way, as a successor should be. But… all that performance goodness could be soured by a high price, according to some info from last weekend.

More appealing could be the 11700K. It looks like it'll be cheaper and faster than the 10900K. And compared to the 11900K, it should be considerably more affordable and almost as powerful -- during the tests, the 11700K ran at 5 GHz, an insignificant notch down from the 11900K's 5.3 GHz. Nothing a little overclock wouldn't fix, anyway.

Rounding out the tail of the series are scores from the i5-11500 and i5-11400. Both are 6-core and 12-thread parts. The former ran at 4.6 GHz and the latter at 4.4 GHz. The 11500's single-core score of 1588 was 35% above its predecessor's, while its multi-core score was 20% higher. The 11400's scores were 10% higher than the 10400's.

At the reported prices of $240 and $225, these two chips should be pretty interesting. If they're priced any higher, though, they'll butt up against the 5600X, which is already faster than both.

Permalink to story.

"11700K ran at 5 GHz, an insignificant notch down from the 11900K's 5.3 GHz. Nothing a little overclock wouldn't fix, anyway."

Well that sounds way too sure about the OC potential. I think 11700k will mostly not go beyond 5.1 and this is why there is even a distinction between i7 and i9 with i9 allowing for that extra edge and probably even better power efficiency (even if not consumption). It is probably more like an i7 11700ks.

How about power consumption and the price of Z590 motherboards? I don't need a CPU that burns at 200+ watts just to give me 150 fps in a stuttering, buggy and full of microtransactions and DLC video game. Because they will clearly market them as the "best gaming CPU's".

I’m going to regret buying AMD 5xxx series aren’t I! Oh well, it’s still more than enough for my needs.

I'm not buying anything until I see my DDR5 options anyway, I've made it this far with my 1800x.....

Not like I'll be able to buy this stuff for months after release anyway

Another vapor-hardware announcement. There's no point in discussing any of this until there's a realistic opportunity to purchase at non-scalper prices. And the prediction for that isn't until well into the second quarter, if not the summer.

Oh look, Another new PC product launching...that you won't be able to buy.
I'll get one day 1 like I did for every other product I wanted last year

PS5
XBOX Series x
Xbox Series S
5600x
5800x

Got each and everyone of then the day they launched (or made available for pre-order) without much issue and absolutely on my with no bots or assistance beyond a few discord Twitter or other notifications..

People complaining about how "no one will get them!" is becoming a meme and a very dead one.

You either work your but off to get one legit you pay someone else to do that for you or you wait til it's easy.
. But sitting around whining about how no one's gonna get one is getting old.

Plenty of us out here right now proving you wrong..

It ain't easy but they are also really good products for once so for sure they are going to be difficult to acquire you either need to to put up or shut up at this point the complaining is doing nothing for anyone.

Not a big feat considering all the security shortcuts Intel has taken in their chips, which resulted in all the side-channel attacks (Spectre et al). If they'd have proper security checks in place, they couldn't have achieved possibly even just half of this performance.

I'm not buying anything until I see my DDR5 options anyway, I've made it this far with my 1800x.....

Not like I'll be able to buy this stuff for months after release anyway
With that attitude? Probably not but every single high end massively in demand product I wanted this year I got on day 1 without TOO much issue. It took some work and quite a bit of planning / forethought but between 10900k's 3080/3090's and all the consoles I managed to get them all and did so with just effort and some notifications (no bots).

I also helped out about a dozen friends or family in getting what they wanted and even gave up my own personal xbox series x 3 days before Christmas when I learned my young cousins patents weren't able to secure him one like they thought they would.

They were kinda like you and assumed they should just be able to walk into a store /online and pick one up like ordering take-out but they learned why I had tried to warn them months before to work with me to lock one down.

Still I can do without it and I like making sure my people get taken care of so he still got one and I'll likley just wait til they are no longer in super demand again to replace it.

People want to blame anything and everything but the fact is if I among many many others can secure MULTIPLE products without much fuss just using our time and effort anyone who TRULY wants one can too.

Intel will have a small and insignificant gaming advantage... at 1080p. Aside from that the Zen chip you have will be better at everything else and for less money. Regrets for what? lol

Any cost benefit went out the window when amd raised their prices and we still don't know what they'll charge for this 8 core chip.

Having more cores may sound nice but if you never do anything but game there's a good chance it's just a waste of silicon and you're spending more money for less performance.

So yes there's absolutely a reason to regret going 5000 series over waiting for Intel to do what it do best (gaming).

Whatever advantage it will have is still one (just like ALL the AMD fans have been preaching since 5000 took the lead) so to try and go back to acting like it's no big deal just speaks volumes of the hypocracy coming from team RED.

The advantages have always been small and however you try and downplay them when the chips are as close as they are the small advantages still absolutely matter as they are the only differences that people truly have to swing them.

As a pure gamer only when it comes to the high end I'm not interested in anything that doesn't provide my cpu higher fps and more stability.

Intel has ruled this segment for a very long time and though amd has fought back very well they have no advantage to someone like me that just cares about knowing their gaming pc is as fast as is possible for it to be.

For a few months if you were building (and could get your hands on one) amd may have been that answer but smart money was on waiting to see what Intel would deliver just a few short months later.

I personally had a 10900k since day 1 and saw its competitors (3900x etc) easily defeated when I was building and though the 5000 series took that crown away 6 months ago it mattered little to me as I wasn't in any need to upgrade.

I'm still not really but with a 30% uplift in performance possible with just a chip swap (and getting pci 4.0) it is almost too easy to just do it as I can easily recover the majority of the cost if I sell a week or 2 before the new chip launches.

How about power consumption and the price of Z590 motherboards? I don't need a CPU that burns at 200+ watts just to give me 150 fps in a stuttering, buggy and full of microtransactions and DLC video game. Because they will clearly market them as the "best gaming CPU's".

These chips will once again be the fastest Gaming cpu you can get and will do so without really using much more power than ryzen (and when something lime fps per watt are looked at on average will likley be very close)

The hyperbole over Intel chips using "insane" power is really overblown and just getting old.

Yes Intel uses some tricks to boost power for a bit to help their numbers but on average they balance out pretty well and though may use more typically come with the extra performance in gaming to back it up.

The screeching about hitting tdp's insane "house heating" and need for 360 aio is again all just a bunch of bs.

I personally run a 10900k with a 5.3ghz all core oc @1.32v and never see temps above about 63c AND THAT'S WITH AN AIR COOLER!

I had planned to rebuild the system with my custom loop I had run for 6 years now but the temps and noise were so low with air cooled cpu along with 3080 (also on air) that I've saved myself the effort of bending tubes and bloody-ing my hands/knuckles for an entire year almost now.

I'm sure the averages (and not just max pulls which WILL ALWAYS show Intel as using way more just due to the nature of how their chips boost) will show Intel chips being within a normal amount of amd and overall system temps /power usage / noise / "room heating" to be all about the same.

I know many will pull charts that skew the numbers trying make Intel look worse but the only ones that matter to me as a gamer is how many average fps and how much avg power to deliver it.

I have no fear Intel will be right in line when looked at properly.

Intel will have a small and insignificant gaming advantage... at 1080p. Aside from that the Zen chip you have will be better at everything else and for less money. Regrets for what? lol
Resolution doesn’t affect CPU gaming performance. If Intel are leading at 1080p it’s because the graphics cards of the time are slower than the Intel CPU at higher than 1080p and hold it back.

So that means in a couple of years when much more powerful GPUs exist it can mean that the slower gaming processors will get found out.

Looking at the geek bench numbers, I would imagine that Intel will be on average 10-15 fps ahead in games where it is not GPU limited. (Basically putting Intel ahead of Zen 3 by the same amount as it was ahead of Zen 2).

And I don’t per se regret buying Ryzen. But I just spent a lot of money to own the best, it’s just a bit annoying that it will be superseded so quickly. I was on a 4790K so I needed an upgrade but I do think I will wish I had held on another 4 months now.

Bear in mind I’m talking about singlethreaded/gaming only. I don’t really care about other workloads when it’s my own money.

With that attitude? Probably not but every single high end massively in demand product I wanted this year I got on day 1 without TOO much issue. It took some work and quite a bit of planning / forethought but between 10900k's 3080/3090's and all the consoles I managed to get them all and did so with just effort and some notifications (no bots).

I also helped out about a dozen friends or family in getting what they wanted and even gave up my own personal xbox series x 3 days before Christmas when I learned my young cousins patents weren't able to secure him one like they thought they would.

They were kinda like you and assumed they should just be able to walk into a store /online and pick one up like ordering take-out but they learned why I had tried to warn them months before to work with me to lock one down.

Still I can do without it and I like making sure my people get taken care of so he still got one and I'll likley just wait til they are no longer in super demand again to replace it.

People want to blame anything and everything but the fact is if I among many many others can secure MULTIPLE products without much fuss just using our time and effort anyone who TRULY wants one can too.
You make an awful lot of assumptions about me and how badly I actually want/need this stuff. I have this thing called a job and it takes away from the amount of work I 1)can put into getting this stuff on day one and 2)feel like putting into getting new hardware. I'm an adult, I can wait. If I couldn't I would have upgraded from an 1800x/1070ti to something much better a long time ago.

Can't get them .... the bank said that the 12th refinance was the last so I'll just have to stick with what I have .... for now ....

Resolution doesn’t affect CPU gaming performance. If Intel are leading at 1080p it’s because the graphics cards of the time are slower than the Intel CPU at higher than 1080p and hold it back.

So that means in a couple of years when much more powerful GPUs exist it can mean that the slower gaming processors will get found out.

Looking at the geek bench numbers, I would imagine that Intel will be on average 10-15 fps ahead in games where it is not GPU limited. (Basically putting Intel ahead of Zen 3 by the same amount as it was ahead of Zen 2).

And I don’t per se regret buying Ryzen. But I just spent a lot of money to own the best, it’s just a bit annoying that it will be superseded so quickly. I was on a 4790K so I needed an upgrade but I do think I will wish I had held on another 4 months now.

Bear in mind I’m talking about singlethreaded/gaming only. I don’t really care about other workloads when it’s my own money.
To lazy to pick your rebuttal apart, but you're wrong on multiple points. Have a nice day!

At this point I feel like upgrading to anything without DDR5 is a waste, it could get outdated quickly.

Then 3 months after Intel's 11series, AMD announce 5nm Zen4 beats Intel again at half the power.

Peak power in some benchmarks are very high for Intel BUT in many games & workloads the avg power usage is much lower. Eg. AVX512 allcore turbo 10900k peaks at 320w, playing games was 150 to 170w.

Are there any games currently using more than 8 cores? I seemed to remember some of the new ones like cyberpunk and hitman might have been starting to use them to run more npc AI etc? (Not that you can tell with cyberpunk ai...)

I feel like 8 cores is a good choice now, but if game devs can start making use of more cores for larger environments with lots of AI etc hopefully we will see that change in the next few years.

Seriously who gives a toss. Even if vomit Lake were double the performance of Zen 3 I wouldn't buy them. Why reward Intel at all after the tripe they've served up for the last 5 years. Also we know these aren't worrying about power use and have abandoned any attempt at efficiency just to win a few benchmarks. Finally this will only matter for 1080p gaming.

Maybe when Alder Lake S ships they might be worth caring about but Zen 4 will not be a minor tweak of Zen 3 and they actually are serious about power efficiency. Intel needs to squirm a few more years IMO.

Back