Intel Arc A380 gaming performance disappoints in early review

nanoguy

Staff member
Why it matters: Intel may have wanted to exploit a window of opportunity with its Intel Arc GPUs, but the company has had to delay their release and even limit the initial availability to the Asian market. Now that the first independent review of a desktop Arc graphics card is out, Intel's lack of confidence in its discrete GPUs seems warranted.

We have yet to see any Intel Arc GPUs outside of South Korea and China, despite the company's initial promise that it would flood the market with a wide range of desktop and laptop models. However, judging by early benchmarks and the relatively slow driver development around Team Blue's discrete GPUs, the company may have decided to take a slower approach to releasing them on the global market.

Last month, Intel said its desktop Arc A-series graphics cards would be China-exclusive for a few months. The first model to hit the market was the Arc A380, an entry-level GPU that launched a week ago with a price tag of 1,030 yuan, or a little more than $150.

The new graphics card is hardly impressive in terms of cooling, video outputs, or the overall aesthetic. However, Intel claims it is up to 25 percent faster than the similarly-priced Radeon RX 6400 from AMD. If you look at the specs, the Arc A380 does have some things going for it such as six gigabytes of GDDR6 memory connected over a 96-bit bus, a PCIe 4.0 x8 interface, and three DisplayPort 2.0 ports.

That said, an early independent review published by Bilibili user Shenmedounengce suggests the Intel part doesn't perform that well outside of synthetic benchmarks, where it does slot in between the Radeon RX 6500 XT and Nvidia's RTX 3050. If you fire up the 3DMark Port Royal and Timespy tests, you'll even get the impression that the A380 has some ray-tracing chops when compared to AMD's entry-level offerings.

In real-world gaming tests, the Arc A380 proved to be less powerful than AMD's Radeon RX 6400, and that includes popular titles like PUBG, GTA 5, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, League of Legends, Forza Horizon 5, and Red Dead Redemption 2. In fact, Intel's entry-level graphics card seems to perform worse than Nvidia's GTX 1650 across DirectX 11, DirectX 12, and Vulkan titles.

It wouldn't be easy to find an excuse for such poor performance against a GPU that Nvidia launched back in 2019, especially since the card was paired with an Intel Core i5-12400 CPU — which is an excellent gaming CPU.

This raises the question of whether Intel is trying to buy more time to perfect the drivers for Intel Arc, but the performance of the A380 GPU is disappointing unless you consider its relatively low price. Higher-end models may paint a different story, but we'll have to wait and see.

Permalink to story.

Lovely!

The massacre is complete, lets move on to the other one.

bd5e07eaaa1a69eaad755c08221a3c546f42e7519c62029f2f81d68c6187d007.jpg

A failure as predicted, but interesting to me because of how it failed exactly as predicted not just a little bit: The fact that synthetic benchs put it a literal GPU tier above what it can do in actual games points exactly of what most of us have been saying for months now: Intel can't handle gaming drivers. Never have and honestly? Probably never will. It's just beyond them to get proper software engineers to work with game developers to the point that it showed almost immediately, to the point that they're actively trying to hide these cards from the west in an effort to hope everybody just forgets it ever existed, if they even get to exist in the west markets which I'm starting to doubt.

I knew this will happen the moment they decided to hire Raja Koduri formely from the Radeon team at AMD and behind one of the last and most notable times AMD did exactly what intel did here: promise much better and stronger driver support from day one to deliver exactly the opposite with Fiji and Vega at launch.

So you have a company with a historically terrible record with driver support for gaming and bring in just about the worst possible person from their competitor to handle this big launch of intel dedicated GPUs and botched spectacularly, again not only as expected but almost perfectly predicted.

Sooooo.....

If we assume Intel eventually gets their GPU drivers into a better state, even with only modest improvements.

And: AMD already has mindshare when it comes to FineWine (which is bogus).

What does that leave us with when discussing Intel's drivers?

FineCheese??

So even though it is CHEAPER than parts it's meant to compete against it still get bad reviews? It isn't THAT much slower and a good bit faster. The Dollar per FPS is greater and this is a LOW END product and advertised as such.

OMG, SUCH BAD PERFORMANCE. Seriously, this is silly. A few percentage points for a few hundred less and people are hating this card.

Intel never had a chance is this is how the market is treating them. Lets see their high end offerings and the price to performance they have.

Well as expected - as I stated elsewhere I hope they are here for the long run.
I get the impression Drivers are hard - plus much easy to Nvidia to tweak a small part - and they probably have a big team .
Plus Nvidia and developers are not completely independant - Intel and maybe AMD to a lesser extent don't have that luxury . I suppose though get the engines going well - should be first priority - not sure how much engines get updated v6.1 to V6.2
Saying that Intel had that benefit with Microsoft - though AMD pushed them on multicore I suppose .
When you see modders , amateur game optimizers etc in the wild . Why don't you employ these people - they have a passion - a talent.

However - I thought most GPUS all have the same tools - shaders etc - so why such variability in end results - I sure a lot of this is open sourced how to optimise XYZ hardware abilities to ABC software needs - maybe lots of hacks built in to do 50% of work and get 98% of look

To think this turkey will soon face the wrath of RDNA3 and Lovelace. So much for an extra layer of competition to keep AMD and Nvidia on their toes.

Raj is finished if this occurs across all cards. To be slower than the utter trash 6400 is pretty disgraceful. I reckon AMD"s Dragon Range APU will decimate the A380, probably Phoenix will give it touch-up too.

Intel is atleast a generation behind. Soon to be two generations.

Edit : To be fair, there are A310, A380, A580, A750, and A770. So this 380 might be their equivalent of 3050/3060 and their higher end are yet to be revealed. From that perspective, for a first attempt, it's not that bad.

Last edited:
So even though it is CHEAPER than parts it's meant to compete against it still get bad reviews? It isn't THAT much slower and a good bit faster. The Dollar per FPS is greater and this is a LOW END product and advertised as such.

OMG, SUCH BAD PERFORMANCE. Seriously, this is silly. A few percentage points for a few hundred less and people are hating this card.

Intel never had a chance is this is how the market is treating them. Lets see their high end offerings and the price to performance they have.

Any chance for anyone that dislikes Intel to get some bashing in on them for something they try to do, they'll bash away.

Does it really surprise you, though? So many disrespectful people in the world that can easily just post their angry thoughts and hate against something online and make fun of them just so they can justify living in this world....pathetic, if you ask me.

I don't see why people honestly care how the low end card performs. Who here is honestly going to buy it? Anyone....?

giphy.gif

tumblr_nof0wnqjsk1s1vzkoo1_500.gif

I personally find it exciting that something new from a 3rd party is coming out, even if the performance they offer isn't quiet what we expected or hoped for.

Take a look at AMD and Nvidia with their RT....neither do it very well right now. AMD is lacking in this department when compared to Nvidia and Nvidia has "dedicated" cores to handle RT and they still don't do it well. I see Intel as being in a similar situation - they're new to this dedicated GPU department and they aren't really up to snuff yet. Give them another generation to improve upon things (hopefully they will), much like how AMD and Nvidia need one or two (I'm guessing probably two) more generations to have RT at an acceptable level.

Do you armchair wananbe know it alls have anything to do but spew negativity.

Be happy that there is another alternative coming, or are you just so far up nvidias *** you don't care because the smell has become familiar?

This is a plus for the gpu industry, their first low end gpu, it is doing better than I expected.

Being available overseas is clearly a test. Many tech companies do it. Will Intel GPUs fail? Maybe. But it's their first retail gaming GPU, so I'll wait for more data and/or a review from the big guys when/if it hits North America.

Kinda hard to make fun of Intel debuting their GPU's, when an established company like AMD pooped the bed for a few years trying to catch the 1080Ti. And Intel Core CPU's before that.

People in glass houses....

Adrian: "begs the question" does not mean "raises the question". It actually means almost the opposite.

Why it matters: if we misuse "begs the question" long enough, the English language will lose this unique and compact expression.

Being available overseas is clearly a test. Many tech companies do it. Will Intel GPUs fail? Maybe. But it's their first retail gaming GPU, so I'll wait for more data and/or a review from the big guys when/if it hits North America.

Kinda hard to make fun of Intel debuting their GPU's, when an established company like AMD pooped the bed for a few years trying to catch the 1080Ti. And Intel Core CPU's before that.

People in glass houses....

Except that Intel is a behemoth that as of the time of the 1080Ti's release had a market cap 20x higher than AMD, with 100x higher earnings and 40x higher revenue. NVIDIA also had something like 80% discrete GPU market share at the time (and 90% of the profits), yet a nearly broke AMD was able to go from that to competitive/leading again two massive companies both many times their size (at the time).

You would think with those sort of resources, Intel could have done a little better than produce a GPU series that is 2 years late and can't compete with the bottom range of a soon to be superseded GPU generation.

Personally, I find that pretty easy to make fun of.

Except that Intel is a behemoth that as of the time of the 1080Ti's release had a market cap 20x higher than AMD, with 100x higher earnings and 40x higher revenue. NVIDIA also had something like 80% discrete GPU market share at the time (and 90% of the profits), yet a nearly broke AMD was able to go from that to competitive/leading again two massive companies both many times their size (at the time).

You would think with those sort of resources, Intel could have done a little better than produce a GPU series that is 2 years late and can't compete with the bottom range of a soon to be superseded GPU generation.

Personally, I find that pretty easy to make fun of.
Failed logic.

You said Intel has boat loads of money so they should have a competitive GPU out of the gate....

You said AMD has pocket lint and is doing well...

So is it about the money or not???

Back