Intel: Arc laptop GPUs incoming, desktop GPUs pushed to Q2 2022

nanoguy

Staff member
Why it matters: Intel is getting ready to release the first wave of Arc GPUs, which will land on upcoming laptops alongside 12th generation Alder Lake H-series CPUs. The company has high ambitions for the future of its graphics business, but it probably won’t have a significant impact on the overall GPU pricing and availability this year.

Intel’s Arc (Alchemist) graphics cards have been in the pipeline for a while now, and many gamers are no doubt curious whether Team Blue can come up with decent offerings that rival those of AMD and Nvidia. It looks like the wait may soon be over, which is a pleasant surprise considering that Intel recently changed its website to display a more vague release date.

At this year’s Investor Meeting, Intel said its Arc GPUs would roll out in stages in the coming months. The first wave will be for laptops, which will arrive by the end of March. Desktop cards are expected to drop sometime in the second quarter, while workstation variants may not see the light of day until the second half of this year.

Intel has also started work on Battlemage and Celestial, but those won’t be ready until 2023 and 2024, respectively. As for Alchemist, the company has the ambitious goal of shipping no less than 4 million GPUs this year.

We’ll have to wait and see if this volume is achievable while the supply chain is still recovering from the hammering it has taken in the past two years. For reference, the 4 million figure includes all types of GPUs and pales compared to the 12.7 million graphics cards shipped by AMD and Nvidia in Q3 2021 alone. A Joe Peddie Research report on Q4 shipments is pending, but so far, we know that at least 37 million graphics cards were sold by AIB partners last year.

We still don’t know anything concrete about how well Intel’s desktop Arc GPUs will perform (or how much they will cost). Leaks and rumors so far point to various SKUs ranging from GTX 1650 SUPER-like performance to something that could rival the RTX 3070 Ti and AMD’s RX 6800. Battlemage and Celestial are said to target the “ultra-enthusiast segment,” which would mean those future GPUs should be able to compete with AMD’s RX 6900 XT and Nvidia’s RTX 3090 Ti.

Beyond the technology roadmap for Arc GPUs, Intel’s Raja Koduri mentioned something called Project Endgame. Details are scarce at the moment, but this new service will supposedly allow gamers to access Intel Arc graphics solutions through a “service for an always-accessible, low-latency computing experience.” It sounds very much like Nvidia’s GeForce Now, and Koduri says we’ll only have to wait until later this year for a full reveal.

Intel’s GPU ambitions don’t stop there, however, as the company is also eyeing the enormous potential of the video streaming market. To that end, Team Blue has built a GPU called Arctic Sound-M, which will be the first to offer hardware AV1 encoding when it starts shipping later this year. In addition to that, it will be able to power up to eight simultaneous 4K stream transcodes or over 30 1080p streams.

Overall, Intel says its Accelerated Computing Systems and Graphics Group is on track to bring more than $1 billion in revenue this year. By 2026, that figure could grow to more than $10 billion across consumer GPUs, compute solutions for the data center, and custom solutions such as blockchain accelerators that greatly surpass GPUs in terms of the mining performance and efficiency.

Permalink to story.

I try my best to stay updated with computer tech but what are the game developers saying about all this? Any comment or are they not allowed to speak about it yet? How close is Intel working with them? What issue's are the developers having?

The true test for me will be how well old games run on it and new games.

The longer Intel delays their desktop GPU release, the higher the chance of failure. I feel hardware enthusiasts are already looking forward to see what AMD and Nvidia will announce later this year for the next gen GPUs. Just the announcements itself will kill the interest for Intel's GPU since these are pretty much competitors for existing GPU generation.
In addition, I don't think Intel will be able to hit the ball out of the park since software optimization is the next major hurdle which I don' think they can resolve with their first stab in high end discrete GPUs.

The real reason we have yet to see Intel Graphic cards is largely because they horribly underperform the competition and the only reason we will see them at all is largely because the market is in short supply of graphic cards.

A Intel Graphics card is largely going to be pushed onto OEM's by Intel. Expect HP and Dell Gaming machines packing Intel Graphics.

I don't think even Intel thinks they are going to compete on a performance per watt level for years to compared to AMD or Nvidia. But it is a good start getting a product out there.

At some point they will figure things out and have their RDNA2 moment.

GCN was great for AMD early on, but as years progressed GCN fell behind quite a bit. I fell Intel's offering will fell a lot like AMD's last few GCN cards. Just quite not there compared to the competition, but still able to hold its own when it comes to its ability to play a game.

Intel is taking FAR too long to get this product to market. By the time they have any appreciable number of cards in the market AMD/nVIDIA will have their next gen cards out making the Intel products seem ridiculously slow. Unless they are half the price of the competition, it will fail other than with OEM systems.

Back