Intel confirms switch to LGA 1700 socket for Alder Lake CPUs

midian182

Staff member
Forward-looking: It seems there’s nothing Intel loves more than launching new sockets. With LGA 1200 only recently released alongside the 10th-gen Comet Lake chips, more evidence has emerged that the 12th-gen Alder Lake processors will switch to a new, LGA 1700 socket.

Soon after the Core i9-10900K CPU was revealed back in April, we got confirmation that the new 400-series motherboards would also support the 11th-gen Rocket Lake CPUs, which are due to arrive next year.

In May, a Taiwanese company that provides voltage regulation test tools to Intel in the Asia-Pacific market suggested that the LGA 1200 socket will only be used for two generations of processors. It listed several future Intel CPUs, including the codename for Alder Lake-S with a description revealing it supports the LGA 1700 socket.

Now, a leaked Intel document from twitter user @momomo_us seemingly confirms it: those who want an Alder Lake CPU will need a new motherboard with an LGA 1700 socket. Alder Lake-S refers to the desktop chips, but it’s unclear what Alder Lake-P might be.

While the LGA 1200 socket brought few changes over its LGA 1150 predecessor, LGA 1700, which is expected to launch in early 2022, will reportedly be a lot different to what's come before. In addition to the 500 extra pins, we’ve heard that the socket will be a rectangular shape (45mm × 37.5mm) rather than the usual square. We’ve also heard that Alder Lake will use a big.LITTLE design similar to Arm's, combining eight high-powered cores with eight energy-efficient ones. It will also support DDR5 RAM and PCIe 4.0—later versions might support PCIe 5.0.

Alder Lake is expected to use the 10nm++ process node and will likely feature Intel’s Xe integrated graphics, which we recently saw running Battlefield V at 30fps on a laptop without a dedicated graphics card.

Permalink to story.

LGA775 wants to speak to you.

Well...

"LGA775 v1" supported single core Pentium 4 CPU's
"LGA775 v2" supported dual core Pentium 4 CPU's
"LGA775 v3" supported Core 2 CPU's with 266 MHz FSB or less
"LGA775 v4" supported Core 2 CPU's with 333 FSB and more

Yeah, socket is "same" but who cares?

LGA1151 also "supports" following:

Skylake, Kaby Lake, Coffee Lake

Too bad, compatibility was broken between Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake.

Again, socket is "same" but nobody cares.

Does 1700 pins indicate a big jump in performance?

It has 41% more pins than i9-10900K has. So performance is expected to be up same amount.

Just kidding. Alder Lake is supposed to have 8+8 configuration and that explains high pin count. Software support is likely be abysmal at start, because 8 cores are "strong" and 8 "weak". And current Windows software usually handle all cores equal.

Does 1700 pins indicate a big jump in performance?
The bulk of a CPU’s socket pins are split roughly equally between connections for the system memory and PCI Express lanes, and power supply lines. So the jump from 1151/1200 to 1700 suggests that future platforms will support an increase PCIe lanes and power consumption, the latter being due to more cores and cache. This is why AMD designed AM4 to have 1331 pins, even though the first Ryzen chips were at most 8 cores.

" The socket had an unusually long life span, lasting 7 years until the last processors supporting it ceased production in 2011. "

That's 9 years ago :)

I consider socket life span end when true successor is released. Because using that "production stopped" logic, for example Intel 486 had lifespan of 18 years! Intel made them for spaceships long time.

Well...

"LGA775 v1" supported single core Pentium 4 CPU's
"LGA775 v2" supported dual core Pentium 4 CPU's
"LGA775 v3" supported Core 2 CPU's with 266 MHz FSB or less
"LGA775 v4" supported Core 2 CPU's with 333 FSB and more

Yeah, socket is "same" but who cares?

LGA1151 also "supports" following:

Skylake, Kaby Lake, Coffee Lake

Too bad, compatibility was broken between Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake.

Again, socket is "same" but nobody cares.

LGA775v4 supported everything the previous versions had to offer. Can't say that for any of the new Intel sockets now.

I changed to i9-10900 no K since securety on lover cpus was dangerous close to be explored by hackers. so getting 11 th would be more secure and faster. unthil lga 1700 gets out with lovely pcie 4.0 speed 2022. x-mas 2021 to jan- sept 2022.

Im take it with SALT. if amd x570 still getting those 5700 8gb and 3070 8gb we could get some more speedy games. getting a rtx 2xxx ti before the less ekspensive 30xx ti. bandwidt of pcie 3.0 only but waiting for stable windows 10 2007 2009 versions with better drivers speed optimizng to future motherboards from asus asrock msi and so on. if they releasing dx 12 extras benchmarks that can give older benchmarks a creep. then yes I would go for ddr5 pci 5.0 when it gets out. the costs must be nice. the seller must no destroy buyer im giving the HIGH price. p4 was exspensive in the high but was getting to HOT and spycy.

since the celron are still on sale the intel has not getting those sold. old 20 years celrons are still making it to the marked. even atom pc gives it a better tomb up in higer speed more cores. amd pushing up cpu core and split it up in 10 or 20 more for speed. intel at its low 8 core 16 treads are good enough. 10 cores 20 treads intel i9-10900 but still no K versions needed. the price must down on low level but still give more speed then amd intel can give. 4 core are still nice. but i3-xxxx 2 cores are just like hypering back in time again. core 2 1 core can still run wista fine. ddr 1 2 3.

waitnig 4k-8k rendering you must have sata 7gb/s atleast 10-48 cores and all treads after. same with adobe cad rendering in raw. ps sas are 12gb/s (server optimized) red blue drives 7200-15000 rpm. pci 5.0 doubble pci 4.0 and pcie 4.0 --//-- pcie 3.0 bandwidth. nvme ssd into the future or m2 ssd drive.

gaming in low end pc can be done. but the impovement in the i9-10 th 11 th would make internet faster. 2.5 gb lan and up to 10 gb could be up next in to the future. even 1 tb gpu ram ddr6-ddr10 (if thats the name into the future). we are just into the start place for getting faster pc`es. when quantum pc race does this work in nano sec. usual pc uses 100 -10000 years to make the same calculations.

to 939 775 it was a heat dangerous calculator. but you could run crysis o.c with 1-4 gb ram and a good 1-3 4-8 gb vram gpu. the crysis 1 2 3 4 can still bring a super computer to 1 fps in highest resolutions. remakes 4k are out to get you and others with just to low specs. www.userbenchmark.com (youre number here) to get a nice pc or 3dmark fire strike dx12 benchmarks extreme.

Last edited:
. So the jump from 1151/1200 to 1700 suggests that future platforms will support an increase PCIe lanes and power consumption, the latter being due to more cores and cache
One would hope that Intel places more pci-e lanes as their top priority, since AMD seems to be kicking their corporate a** in this category..

One would hope that Intel places more pci-e lanes as their top priority, since AMD seems to be kicking their corporate a** in this category..
Agreed and with more people switching to using multiple NVMe drives in their systems, having just 16 available PCIe lanes with their CPUs just doesn't cut it anymore. I know the PCH can offer up to 24 lanes, but they still have to access the CPU and system memory via the DMI 3.0 interface - it's roughly the same as a PCI Express x4 connection, but somebody needs to point out to Intel that 4 doesn't exactly divide by 24 particularly well.

Back