Intel Core i5 750 Processor Review

The only thing I don't get is why the speed is only still highest at 3.0 or 3.2ghz...

I remember not to long about for people who bought a 500 or 800 mhz cpu, would get mad at the 1.0 or 1.2 ghz that got released later on in the short amount of 2 years...

I figured we'd be at 6 or 8ghz CPUs by now...

@Guest, no need to as architectures have become more efficient and powerful clock for clock. Also, a decade ago the notion was that you had to push the MHz to gain performance, while most recently the shift has taken place into parallel processing (multi-core CPUs).
The way that works is still being perfected, even with the Core i7s and the processors that come after them since they are considered more complex to program for in order to take full advantage of all processing cores.

so then, I ask of you, after parallel processing, whats next you think? Quantum Processing?

Can anybody tell me if I can pair a gtx 275 with a phenom II x 2 550? Will the gaming performance differ too much from i5?

The only thing I don't get is why the speed is only still highest at 3.0 or 3.2ghz...

I remember not to long about for people who bought a 500 or 800 mhz cpu, would get mad at the 1.0 or 1.2 ghz that got released later on in the short amount of 2 years...

I figured we'd be at 6 or 8ghz CPUs by now...

MHz or GHz do not have the impact they once did. Yes, overclocking a Core i5 processor from 2.66GHz to 4GHz will improve performance but … if you down clock the Core i5 750 to even 400MHz it will smash an 800MHz Pentium II processor for example as the architecture is significantly more efficient as Julio said.

Guest said:
Can anybody tell me if I can pair a gtx 275 with a phenom II x 2 550? Will the gaming performance differ too much from i5?
Really depends on the game but with a pair of GeForce GTX 275 graphics cards there are few games that will present a problem with the Phenom II X2 550 processor.

Doesn't really seem worthwhile upgrading to a i5 750 from a Wolfdale. Guess I'll sit this one out until Sandy Bridge or later probably.

I'm just starting to get into all this tech stuff and I want to make sure I am reading this properly. Will the i5 750 support XP mode in Windows 7 professional? The Microsoft site says that this requires the processor to support hardware virtualization. The Intel sites says that this processor does not have that but the Intel site also claims that is it Windows 7 ready. Which one am I to believe?

It will work. Alternatively you can run Windows XP in any operating system using software such as VirtualBox. In fact on my Windows 7 system I run WinXP in VirtualBox as a download machine on a different Internet connection.

It will work. Alternatively you can run Windows XP in any operating system using software such as VirtualBox. In fact on my Windows 7 system I run WinXP in VirtualBox as a download machine on a different Internet connection.

Excellent! Thank you very much for helping me to clear this up!

I have to say, the i5 750 processor screams. I don't have mine overclocked, so I'm still at the factory 2.66 GHz speed, but it's still EONS faster than my wife's computer at 3.2 GHz speed... Great processor, well worth the money... now my wife is jealous and wants me to build a new computer for her... lol

i currently have a pentium(R) dual-core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz (2CPUs) would i be wise to upgrade to i5-core for better gaming preformance (Aion)

There's definitely going to be a speed advantage, but the GPU is the most relevant component to gaming frame rates.

Not sure why you say the Intel site says it doesn't support virtualization,
Check here: http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?familyID=42912

Well its much better than the Core 2 Quad flagship processor so I am going to say YES it is much better than a Core 2 Duo.

I had put in an i5 750 for use as an VMWare ESXI server. It's simply brilliant. I have 8 GB on my mobo, and I was able to run 5 VMs very successfully on my server all updating at the same time.

Sweet processor for VMWare.

I'm just starting to get into all this tech stuff and I want to make sure I am reading this properly. Will the i5 750 support XP mode in Windows 7 professional? The Microsoft site says that this requires the processor to support hardware virtualization. The Intel sites says that this processor does not have that but the Intel site also claims that is it Windows 7 ready. Which one am I to believe?
It appears you have misinterpreted the i5-750's specs. It does support virtualization. What it doesn't support is Hyper threading.

So yes, you can run "XP mode" with it, as long as you spring for a copy of Windows 7 Professional (or better).

"Windows 7 Home Premium" does NOT support running the virtual machine.

Take a closer look at the CPU specs: http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=42915

Back