Intel demonstrates low-powered CPU that draws power from red wine

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The closing day of Intel’s annual Developer Forum is typically reserved to highlight future-looking projects and this year was no different. In-house anthropologist Dr. Genevieve Bell demonstrated a processor that is so efficient that it can draw the power it needs from a glass of red wine.

The wine glass in question used two electrodes that reacted with the acetic acid in the red wine to power a low-powered processor and accelerometer. It’s similar in theory to the potato battery that children have used in science fairs for years although Bell wanted to show that even the slightest bit of power could run Intel silicon.

intel processor powered wine cpu

Through the demonstration Bell said it is possible to start to imagine a world of incredibly low-power devices that also offer high performance. This will help unburden people – especially those in developing countries – and give us a pathway to wearable technology with the ability to power things like constant sensing, communication and computing – all of which are necessary for our mobile future, she said.

Elsewhere, Lama Nachman, principal engineer at Intel Labs, joined Bell to demonstrate a few other nifty ideas in mobile. One involved voice recognition to unlock a phone while the other used the accelerometer in a handset to record a user’s gait while walking which was then used to unlock the phone. When movements were mimicked by another person, the phone noticed the subtle differences and locked the system down.

Technology like this is still likely years away but it’s neat to get a glimpse into what the future may hold.

Permalink to story.

Dr. Genevieve Bell demonstrated a processor that is so efficient that it can draw the power it needs from a glass of red wine.
I seriously hope the internal codename for this processor isn't HouseWife.

What we need is one that works off body heat, then we can wear a wrist strap or something to power it.

One involved voice recognition to unlock a phone while the other used the accelerometer in a handset to record a user?s gait while walking which was then used to unlock the phone. When movements were mimicked by another person, the phone noticed the subtle differences and locked the system down.

I can just imagine the tech support calls...

"Verizon Tech Support, how may I help you?"
"Uh, yah, I have a cold and sprained my ankle, and now I can't unlock my phone..."

One involved voice recognition to unlock a phone while the other used the accelerometer in a handset to record a user?s gait while walking which was then used to unlock the phone. When movements were mimicked by another person, the phone noticed the subtle differences and locked the system down.

I can just imagine the tech support calls...

"Verizon Tech Support, how may I help you?"
"Uh, yah, I have a cold and sprained my ankle, and now I can't unlock my phone..."

Reply from tech support, "boasts an inky/purple color as well as a sumptuous perfume of violets, blackberries, blueberries, and coffee offered in a medium to full-bodied, supple-textured, accessible style." Go with the Cabernet, and get an extra 2 hours, but decant first.

Imagine how much computing power can be harnessed with the help of whisky or vodka. ;)

Soviet Union (vel Russia) will be transformed into one giant mega-super-duper-computer virtually overnight. Ha, ha.

Well now we get our processors drunk...

I have a new sport for PC enthusiasts, who can get their processor the most drunk, that will become the newest sport for us enthusiasts :p

But in all seriousness, that's just plain awesome!

Back