Intel expands Ivy Bridge CPU lineup, adjusts prices

Rick

Staff

Intel has expanded its processor lineup to include several new Ivy Bridge variants spanning across both mobile and desktop markets. Accompanying the fresh batch of silicon will also be a number of welcome price adjustments to existing CPUs.

Ivy Bridge is the worthy successor to Sandy Bridge, the 32 nanometer architecture which defined Intel's Core offerings in 2011. Ivy Bridge's 22nm design draws less power, generates less heat and offers higher performance than that of prior generations. Here's everything you need to know about Ivy Bridge.

Interestingly though, Intel's new wave of CPUs still manages to include our aging, venerable friend from 2011. While Ivy Bridge chips seem to round out higher-end offerings, Sandy Bridge cores will be covering the low-end, namely Pentium and some Core i3 packages. The inclusion of Sandy Bridge silicon is particularly fascinating because it subtly defies rumored plans of sunsetting the aging architecture.

Amongst the new CPUs are the Core i5-3350P, i5-3330, i5-3334S and i5-3330S. These models are clocked at 3.10GHz, 3.0GHz and 2.70 GHz, respectively, with corresponding price tags of $177, $182, $194 and $177. The "P" on the 3350 denotes the absence of integrated graphics while all i5 CPUs come with Turbo Boost but lack hyperthreading.

For i3 CPUs, we'll see i3-3240, i3-3225, i3-3220, i3-3240T, i3-3220T models ranging from 2.8 to 3.4 GHz and priced between $117 to $138. The "T" models indicate Sandy Bridge architecture. Although all i3 CPUs listed are exclusively dual-core, they are endowed with hyperthreading which effectively allows four total threads. Also, unlike their i5 brethren, listed models do not include Turbo Boost. 

Earlier this year, Intel launched Ivy Bridge by introducing 14 new chips to its mobile and desktop lineups. In May, the company released a second wave of Ivy Bridge chips.

Permalink to story.

Not really exciting at all.
I agree. I was expecting something like a 3790 or a 3770x. I'm looking for something that really blows everything out of the water...not subtle additions in between current processors.

Not really exciting at all.
Tell me about it, there is only one thing that would highly impress me. If Intel adjusted the price of their older CPU's to a price/performance scale of their newer CPU's, I'd be highly impressed. Once Intel switches platforms they are setting themselves in a position where price adjustments are not needed.

For me it is exciting, just bought 20 celeron g530 for an internet coffee and now I see the g550t :-(
But anyway, the g530 is amazing for the price. I want to see the reviews of the g550t.

No 24 cores no 36 cores no 48 cores. No 64 cores no 128 cores? Also no 128 bit and 256 bit or 512 bit processors. And where is the 400 ghz computers. Where are the nano tube laser computers and where are the 400 tera byte magneto laser head hard drives. Most importantly where are the 5000x 3000 pixel 30 inch retina displays.

Yep it is time to dump more trash on the market since AMD execs seems to be laying in front of their buldoser.

Oh intel. yOu integrated memory, video on the cpus. How about integrating anti virus and os and the hard drive there too. Oh and wifi. How about hacking tools too. And you can also put the FBI on the cpu die too. Since the patriot act has sold them our privacy.

Oh intel. yOu integrated memory, video on the cpus. How about integrating anti virus and os and the hard drive there too. Oh and wifi. How about hacking tools too. And you can also put the FBI on the cpu die too. Since the patriot act has sold them our privacy.
Damn are we wanting a polluted CPU or what?

Technical correction -- the "T" in the i3 series has nothing to do with Sandy Bridge -- it refers to CPUs that run at a cooler max Thermal Design Power (TDP). Effectively, those CPUs draw less power under load than the non-T marked CPUs.

Back