Intel graphic device drivers result in a BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I'm using my ThinkPad R61 8932-G6G (Core 2 Duo T8100, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 965 on Windows XP SP3) for a few months now. Unfortunately those Intel graphic device drivers seem to cause major problems. A number of games give a BSOD, like for example Warcraft 3 which crashes when logging in to Battle.net. I'm always using the latest drivers for all devices. Interestingly, version 6.14.10.4926 caused no trouble while every newer driver shows the symptoms described above. I'm currently using 6.14.10.4980 released some days ago. I am at my wit's end at that point and would like to ask you whether there are any other causes for these problems. I just can't believe that this is caused solely by this driver: between 6.14.10.4926 and 6.14.10.4980 lay six months of development. Everybody using those drivers would have those problems...

I added three minidump-files for deeper analysis.

Thanks in advance!

I will suggest you to try your laptop with only one memory, and if the problem still exist, switch with another one...I think this can be your ram, not your graphic card...

Your error is 0x000000EA: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

A device driver problem has caused the system to pause indefinitely (hang). Typically, this is caused by a display driver waiting for the video hardware to enter an idle state. This might indicate a hardware problem with the video adapter, or a faulty video driver.

I noticed you have Service Pack 3. Did any crashes occur before installing or did your laptop already come installed?

The driver cited is igxpdv32.DLL which is definitely an Intel video/accelerator driver.

Have you gone to your laptop manufacturer's website and updated your chipset drivers or did you only update video drivers?

Have you attempted to roll back to the driver that was stable? The rule of thumb concerning drivers is, "If it isn't broke don't fix it." Unless you need to in order for certain software to work.

One other thing. ThinkPads are well built laptops. Since this is only a few months old you need to contact Lenovo pronto and tell them of your issue. It is still under warrenty.

I will now remove the second memory DIMM, that's a good point since I upgraded the laptop with a second one (MDT, should be a quite compatible). I'm setting great value upon using the latest drivers, so everything should be finde considering mainboard-drivers etc.; the laptop came with Windows Vista and I "downgraded" to Windows XP SP3. Downgrading the drivers to the older driver mentioned above solves the problem, but as I said, I can't believe that such a big problem persists since this driver version - thousands of other people would report crashes in popular games.

Edit: Removing the second memory DIMM didn't resolve the problem.

Yes, this is the driver I'm using. The package version is named "14.36.2.4980". However, when installed, the system information page returns driver version "6.14.10.4980".

The old driver "6.14.10.4926" behaves the same way, so that should be normal.

But you are not alone in having to roll back drivers to gain stability. Many, many people have done so to resolve issues. Drivers can be tricky and may not always play nice with other software andthe hardware your system has.

So, are things stable now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back