Intel is in a very bad place, and they need to admit it

Jay Goldberg

Staff
Editor's take: After 30 years of dominance, the industry has come to view Intel as a giant who has fallen on hard times. We do not think this is the right way to view the company, and it creates mental blind spots which hinder our ability to assess what are the right next steps for the company. But it's true, Intel is in a very bad place. It needs to admit that, especially internally. We are not forecasting Doomsday, but we do think it is time to recognize that Intel will never be the force it once was, and probably has not been for a long time.

In reality, Intel is not the giant of the industry. Intel's total share of industry capacity is around 10%, they are not a giant who has stumbled, they are a niche player and have been for years. Admittedly, they occupy a high-value, high-price niche, but it is a niche nonetheless.

Editor's Note:
Guest author Jonathan Goldberg is the founder of D2D Advisory, a multi-functional consulting firm. Jonathan has developed growth strategies and alliances for companies in the mobile, networking, gaming, and software industries.

The best analogy we can think of here is automobiles. Mercedes sells around 10% of cars in the US, just as Intel has about 10% of industry capacity. Now imagine if Mercedes somehow lost its brand – maybe a massive recall or a series of high profile vehicle-caused accidents. They would not only lose market share but also all their brand value, causing a long term downward sales trend that would be very expensive to dig their way out. Intel is the luxury brand of semis and suddenly their cars do not move fast. We have tortured that analogy enough, the point is that Intel really does not occupy the strategic high ground we all thought it did.

Intel is the luxury brand of semis and suddenly their cars do not move fast.

After their last set of results, especially their guidance for 2023, we are increasingly of the opinion that Intel is out of options. They forecast they are going to burn $15 billion in cash next year, a huge amount even for a company with $34 billion of net cash on their balance sheet.

After their disastrous roadmap event last month, we have to call in to question the company's ability to accurately forecast their business. We actually have many more examples of systematic flaws in their forecasting abilities, but none as public as that event. So we have little confidence in the company's $15 billion forecast, it could easily be much higher. Add to that the need to continue to fund their manufacturing needs and their cash needs are immense.

Nor is it clear if 2024 will be any better. At heart, we have always argued that the company has one task before it and that is an existential task – it has to catch up in manufacturing. The earliest they forecast achieving that is late 2024, which means it will likely not factor into results until 2025. By that time the company's bank balances will be dangerously low.

Moreover, if somehow Intel is able to achieve process parity in 2025 it will still have to rebuild its business. This leads to obvious questions about Intel Foundry Services (IFS). The only way Intel can ever garner a more meaningful share of industry capacity is for IFS to start doing real business and poaching some big customers from TSMC.

We have argued in private, and now in public, that IFS can not become a real business until the end of the decade, there is just too much work to be done first. Even Intel's incumbent CPU business should be viewed with some caution. By the time Intel can possibly be truly competitive in CPUs the market for CPUs will be very different. Until five years ago, ~90% of silicon expenditures in the data center went to CPUs (and memory), that figure is already in decline. And while the growth of the cloud will likely mean total unit CPU unit volumes will still be growing, they will no longer be the crucial part in the data center. That is a massive market shift. Add to that all the homegrown silicon and Arm CPUs coming to market, it should be clear that the post-2025 CPU market will not be as much fun as it once was.

And while Intel is fighting for its life, the rest of the industry is moving on – with its peers all taking big steps to adapt to a world of custom silicon and heterogeneous compute. With its latest round of cuts, Intel will be far behind the pack in serving those markets. Intel has now exited most of the networking and memory markets, abandoned much of its RISC V efforts, spun off Mobile Eye automotive ambitions, and is likely to exit FPGAs soon. If it catches up with manufacturing, the company will largely be a single-product semis company.

The most frustrating part is that there is no clear alternative course they can take.

Many people would argue that Intel should split in two – a design company and a foundry company – much as AMD / GlobalFoundries did a decade ago. We see the logic in that, we have argued in favor of that in the past. Our guess is that the Street, as well as certain Intel board members, strongly favor this approach. But there are some real problems with this.

First, it took AMD and GloFo most of that ensuing decade to stabilize and return to functionality. Critically, there is the very real problem of how to fund the fabs. GloFo abandoned advanced manufacturing processes years ago. Would a stand-alone IFS do the same? They would start life with only one customer, the design side of Intel, and that customer is dependent on advanced processes. The sheer amount of money required for Intel to catch up is immense and at this point seems incalculable – $50 billion? It is hard to imagine a structure that would attract investors to participate in that funding. The size and seemingly bottomless nature of the commitment is too big even for the biggest private equity funds.

This likely means that the only viable alternative is the one they are currently attempting – raise as much money as possible, beg the government for more, ignore the Street and run like Hell to Intel 20A.

In all of this, we think it is important to be very careful assigning blame. The current executive team is not the root cause of the problem and probably have the only workable solution. There is a decade of bad decisions that got Intel here. That being said, we do think it is time for the management team to acknowledge the depth of their plight. Cut the dividend, obviously. Going further, Pat Gelsinger should not have cut his salary by 25%, he should have cut it $1 dollar and big pile of high-priced options. And for their earnings call, they need to change the narrative, drop guidance further, kitchen sink it. Then start giving out milestones that matter. Lay out trackable metrics for manufacturing – not just the roadmap, but R&D and production milestones – show the Street what needs to be done and then report on those achievements. We are past the point of half-measures and bizarrely optimistic TAM forecasts.

The industry needs to recognize this and most importantly the company needs to internalize it. There have been too many public comments from Intel middle managers that have a strong scent of denial or obliviousness. Intel is too big to disappear entirely, but it is going to emerge as a very different company in a few years, and likely have new owners. We are not arguing that Doomsday is upon us, but we do think it is time to recognize the reality that Intel will never be the force it once was, and probably has not been for a long time.

Masthead credit: Erik Mclean

Permalink to story.

I honestly think Intel is under valued right now. A lot of their money is tied up in ARC graphics right now and developing a GPU from scratch costs billions of dollars over many years.

And while their CPU sales are down this was entirely to be expected after posting record profits from covid. I say this as an AMD guy, the 13 series is a fantastic line of products but I don't see many people upgrading right now as we are entering into a recession.

On the server side, I haven't seen their performance numbers yet but if the 13 series is anything to on I'm confident it will be very competitive with epyc for single threaded work loads.

The only point in the semiconductor production chain that makes a difference is who can produce the infrared light with the shortest wavelength. Everything else is the same and they are technologies that have matured, although lately chips are no longer designed by humans but by artificial intelligence. So they just need to fund the development of an extreme ultraviolet laser like this one ( https://scitechdaily.com/worlds-fir...-ultraviolet-laser-diode-at-room-temperature/ )

And they should remember that after all they are selling sand, not gold. I would never have gone to AMD if they didn't lock the multipliers, even if AMD had better CPUs, because I never had a problem with an Intel CPU except that they locked the multipliers to sell the higher models to extreme prices and I couldn't get a little bit more performance with a good cooler. That was the reason why I bought an AMD first time, then an Intel next time, then an AMD etc. If they hadn't locked the multiplier, I would never have bought an AMD cpu but only Intel. So I think that was the fatal mistake they made, because they had forced you to choose another CPU manufacturer for a little more performance when you could just choose Intel with a better cooler and little overclocking.

The only point in the semiconductor production chain that makes a difference is who can produce the infrared light with the shortest wavelength. Everything else is the same and they are technologies that have matured, although lately chips are no longer designed by humans but by artificial intelligence. So they just need to fund the development of an extreme ultraviolet laser like this one ( https://scitechdaily.com/worlds-fir...-ultraviolet-laser-diode-at-room-temperature/ )

And they should remember that after all they are selling sand, not gold. I would never have gone to AMD if they didn't lock the multipliers, even if AMD had better CPUs, because I never had a problem with an Intel CPU except that they locked the multipliers to sell the higher models to extreme prices and I couldn't get a little bit more performance with a good cooler. That was the reason why I bought an AMD first time, then an Intel next time, then an AMD etc. If they hadn't locked the multiplier, I would never have bought an AMD cpu but only Intel. So I think that was the fatal mistake they made, because they had forced you to choose another CPU manufacturer for a little more performance when you could just choose Intel with a better cooler and little overclocking.
Infra-red is long wave length, you're think of EUV or extreme ultra violet

"Intel is not the giant of the industry. Intel's total share of industry capacity is around 10%... they are a niche player and have been for years. The best analogy we can think of here is automobiles. Mercedes sells around 10% of cars in the US."

This is totally comparing apples and oranges. Intel's business is primarily CPUs and makes around 70% of computer processors; that is not a mere a niche in the market. In car terms, that is more market share than the top 3 manufactures (Toyota, GM, Ford) combined. I agree that Intel began resting on its laurels a while ago, but with the recent AMD advances, I think Intel received a wake up call and really started kicking it into gear with the 12th and 13th generation processors. Intel has also begun dabbling in the GPU market and might actually become a niche player there.

Intel is in no way in as bad of a position as AMD was before Ryzen came out. They went from limping on the low end of poorly performing chips with little hope of keeping up with Intel let alone TSMC with their fabrication technology. But look where they are now.
I would agree that the long term prospects of CISC chips dominating seems unlikely and probably the RISC architecture is simply better. But they're nowhere near out of the game and the sudden and glorious reversal of AMD fortune's can happen to Intel.

Thanks for the article, it was a good read!

Now regarding Intel, as much as I don't like them as a business it would be real bad for us if AMD would be the only x86 maker.

I think Intel is doing ok and will be in better shape before long. They will be a major player in graphics before long. They have the best chip designers for high performance chips. They have only fallen behind on manufacturing processes, but have still managed to remain competitive. They did have to ramp up power consumption a little to keep up, but they made it work. Especially since AMD also ramped up power on their new cpus taking away that edge. They also have government money to help get them back on track with new manufacturing facilities. They need to focus on recruiting and retaining talent because it is the people that actually figure these things out and make it happen in those new facilities.

I honestly think Intel is under valued right now. A lot of their money is tied up in ARC graphics right now and developing a GPU from scratch costs billions of dollars over many years.

And while their CPU sales are down this was entirely to be expected after posting record profits from covid. I say this as an AMD guy, the 13 series is a fantastic line of products but I don't see many people upgrading right now as we are entering into a recession.

On the server side, I haven't seen their performance numbers yet but if the 13 series is anything to on I'm confident it will be very competitive with epyc for single threaded work loads.

Single and multi. The 13 series from a price to performance standpoint is absolutely dominant. Add to that the fact they can use DDR4, in addition to DDR5? Then you add on top of that AMD's consistent software/firmware problems (it has never stopped being an issue). Intel is going to be just fine. Not to mention, Intel operates financially at a level that AMD can't even dream of.

Single and multi. The 13 series from a price to performance standpoint is absolutely dominant. Add to that the fact they can use DDR4, in addition to DDR5? Then you add on top of that AMD's consistent software/firmware problems (it has never stopped being an issue). Intel is going to be just fine. Not to mention, Intel operates financially at a level that AMD can't even dream of.
With the new market prices it's not really true anymore. It does have some leads, but not everywhere. the 13600k/13500 are Intel's best offerings right now. As for DDR4, I see this mostly as an option for OEMs (pre-built PCs), not new DIY system builders. DDR5 has dropped in price significantly and AMD does just fine with 5600MHz with tight timings.

I understand why some people might opt for DDR4, but if you really are upgrading from an older gen (like the 10th gen), then why would you buy not only a system that can't be upgraded and also removing the option of DDR5? At this point I would wait for 14th gen if I really wanted Intel and make a full on upgrade. (emergencies don't count)

This shows that DDR5 is kinda needed for 13th gen right now to keep up with AMD (which uses DDR5) in many situations. (especially after the release of the non-x variants and the soon to be released 3D versions)

Last edited:
Intel is in no way in as bad of a position as AMD was before Ryzen came out. They went from limping on the low end of poorly performing chips with little hope of keeping up with Intel let alone TSMC with their fabrication technology. But look where they are now.
I would agree that the long term prospects of CISC chips dominating seems unlikely and probably the RISC architecture is simply better. But they're nowhere near out of the game and the sudden and glorious reversal of AMD fortune's can happen to Intel.
The CISC vs RISC argument was put to bed nearly 30 years ago with the release of the P5 pentium. There has not been a full CISC chip since the death of cyrix. Pure RISC hardware on desktop dies with the G series from apple, as they were unable to scale to match the flexibility of the x86 instruction set. The "rise of RISC' and the "death of x86" have been promoted for nearly 15 years with little to show for it outside of the tightly controlled vertical monopoly that is apple.

All modern desktop hardware is hybrid CISC/RISC, everything is translated to micro ops. Intel's problem has nothing to do with RISC and everything to do with a decade of terrible business decisions and getting hung up on everything past 14nm.
With the new market prices it's not really true anymore. It does have some leads, but not everywhere. the 13600k/13500 are Intel's best offerings right now. As for DDR4, I see this mostly as an option for OEMs (pre-built PCs), not new DIY system builders. DDR5 has dropped in price significantly and AMD does just fine with 5600MHz with tight timings.

I understand why some people might opt for DDR4, but if you really are upgrading from an older gen (like the 10th gen), then why would you buy not only a system that can't be upgraded and also removing the option of DDR5? At this point I would wait for 14th gen if I really wanted Intel and make a full on upgrade. (emergencies don't count)

This shows that DDR5 is kinda needed for 13th gen right now to keep up with AMD (which uses DDR5) in many situations. (especially after the release of the non-x variants and the soon to be released 3D versions)
The sheer number of people on forums excited to build with 13th gen because of cheaper DDR4 kinda demonstrates that it is rather important. Not everyone lives in a rich first world country where money debt flows like water. Lowering the total platform cost by $100+ there can make a major difference.

You also seriously underestimate how much old hardware is out there. 10th gen? Forget that, over half of all windows PC according to MS are on 7th gen or older and will need replaced for windows 11.

There have been too many public comments from Intel middle managers that have a strong scent of denial or obliviousness.
Not just middle managers, but THE manager. On Pat Gelsinger's FIRST all-hands at Intel in January 2021, he said, “We have to deliver better products to the PC ecosystem than any possible thing that a lifestyle company in Cupertino” makes".

Apple is just a lifestyle company? Pat, you sweet summer child, Apple is now a company of CPU design & uarch, mobile, IoT, desktop & laptop, GPU design & uarch, I/O, advanced semi packaging, etc.

Apple actually does what most of Intel units pretended to do for a decade: a well-diversified, vertically integrated technology design that scales.

Pat derisively denying Apple's major technical accomplishments in precisely Intel's sphere of influence was a signal to me, on day one, this guy will not turn around Intel.

Intel's issue is they've been trying to do too much in every sub market in the IT industry, whether that's SSD's or now with graphics.
They need to focus on what they're good at and make good chips which are also energy efficient, this push to win at all costs has been an own goal as the data centers need efficiency and lots of cores.
Maybe the best thing would be for intel to split their business with the fab side being more open, it would probably grow that side of the business faster than if it was one company.

This likely means that the only viable alternative is the one they are currently attempting – raise as much money as possible, beg the government for more, ignore the Street and run like Hell to Intel 20A.
This "way forward" seems quite similar to the Gelsinger-naivety that the article previously, and rightly, criticized. Intel CPUs won't be that relevant in 2025+.

Intel can do a lot more, but these reforms won't come from ANY current or past Intel employees.

Intel needs its Satya Nadella moment / CEO (e.g., Microsoft should run to the cloud, embrace Linux & open-source, focus on developers, shutter weak consumer units) and it'll never (ever) come from Pat Gelsinger.

1) Wake up consumer & business PC demand with a cheap, more integrated SoC built on TSMC. Yes, like Intel's GPUs. Might lose a few (just a few) perf. benchmarks, but significantly extends battery life, reduces heat, etc. Kill the 5+ GHz clocks. Make clear, plain marketing on improvements to typical mainstream usage (video calls, web browsing, content consumption). Re-brand it to "P1", be nice to your OEMs, and MANY will replace those toasty, loud, and annoying pandemic-era Intel PCs far sooner than 6 years! Eat some humble pie so you can own the pie factory.

2) Then, open up x86 licensing. There, I said it.: and do it now, before Arm demolishes x86 interest in a decade. Just like Microsoft dropped Edge Spartan and moved to Edge Chromium. Intel needs to ensure x86 has staying power and doesn't fall into an ever-shrinking slice in datacenter, laptops, tablets, and infrastructure. Android already runs on x86: why shouldn't Intel make some money when someone else finally makes high perf/W x86 cores? Eat some humble pie so you can own the pie factory, FFS.

3) In the time & money & trust you've earned from #1 and #2, give IFS significantly independent leadership. Push IFS on close OEM integration (whether it be RAM, CPU, packaging, storage, cellular, accelerators) and market-able wins (e.g., new AI IP that fixes MS Teams fake green screen). Then, force IFS to only make steady improvements that release every single year. Intel always admits it's like 2 years behind, and makes a ridiculous plan to do 5 years of work in 3 years. It never works, it's always delayed, and everyone loses trust.

Intel needs its "Satya Nadella" and I feel like we can think much bigger now.

I used to only be Intel CPUs up until the Zen 3 architecture was release, then I finally made the switch to AMD. At this point, I don't really see the need to go back until they can convince me otherwise.
Me too.

There's a YouTube channel that I sometimes watch that analyzes the issues that Intel is in. He basically thinks that many of Intel's problems are rooted in their inability to hit their promised release dates. He also believes that Intel's product stack and R&D is spread too thin.

1676308219498.png
Let's look at this for instance...

Intel has to develop and manufacture as many as six different core types for their product stack. Whereas with AMD, oh... they have only four types, two CPU core types and two IOD chips, and they all can be mixed and matched together to create their entire product stack quite easily whereas with Intel they can't do that; everything is still very much monolithic in nature when it comes to their chips.

Intel needs to come to the realization that they need to swallow their pride and go with a chiplet design much like AMD. Only then will they be able to more easily hit target dates, reduce product manufacturing complexity, and reduce costs.

It's not from the results. It's a forecast they give in terms of investments (foundries, r&d etc) for stockholders.
Ah okay.

I'm still struggling to find where this number is coming from however. I cannot find any reference to it in the most recent results and presentation.

Obv this is relevant because one of the criticisms made is that we cannot have confidence in this $15bn forecast.

Does anyone else know where this number has come from? Tx J

Wouldn‘t it be a sweet irony if Intel had to go the same way they forced AMD to go- splitting off their fabs - by their dirty tactics back in the day ?

I think an Intel shrunk down to size to where they will be forced to compete only on merit will be best for anyone. They should never again be in a position where they can dictate what AMD based systems they offer and how they market them.

Server demand is shifting from CPU to GPU. The article doesn't really address Intel's GPU efforts. Management does seem to realize the importance. AMD can sell all AMD CPU/GPU both consumer and data center, and Intel really want that capability.

It will all also depend on geo-politics. If Taiwan comes under attack, Intel will be a far better position. Only Samsung has other high-tech fabs that can produce chips in volume, and Samsung's yields are not that great.

Back