Intel hires game developers ahead of Arc GPU launch

Daniel Sims

Staff
Why it matters: This week Intel announced a series of high-level hires to help its first steps into PC gaming hardware. They include technical and game development managers from companies like Electronic Arts and AMD. Intel will need the experience to maintain a smooth relationship with both game developers and users.

Twitter accounts associated with Intel made the announcements on Thursday. All of them will be working in "gaming and graphics," which means Intel's Arc Alchemist graphics cards. The GPUs are expected to launch late this year or sometime next year. The company is already showing it's serious about getting into games, showing off its image reconstruction methods and even a mascot.

Intel's new gaming and graphics workload engineering vice president and general manager is André Bremer, a 20-plus-year gaming industry veteran. At Amazon, Bremer was a manager for Amazon Web Services Game Tech, and later, he worked as the head of engineering for Prime Gaming, according to his LinkedIn profile. Before that, Bremer had a long history directing development and engineering software at companies like Zynga, EA, and LucasArts.

Intel hired Michael Heilemann as its new senior director of game developer tools and technology. Heilemann was a director of technology at EA and a manager of content at Sony Computer Entertainment America. Before that, he had a game development career stretching back to the 90s in companies like Vivendi, Dreamworks Interactive, and Malibu Interactive.

Intel also hired Steve Bell as a senior director of game developer relations. According to Tom's Hardware, Bell worked for 13 years at Intel competitor AMD in the same position.

Lastly, Intel hired Ritche Corpus as a VP and GM of game ecosystem business development and developer relations. Corpus spent 15 years at AMD as the head of worldwide gaming and professional software. Before that, he worked at companies like PC Gaming Alliance and Logitech.

Simply building good graphics cards isn't the whole battle in the PC gaming graphics space. The two current competitors here, Nvidia and AMD, are also frequently compared based on the quality of their drivers. They work closely with game developers to ensure optimal performance on their hardware, often helping to sponsor big releases with specialty tech like Nvidia's Deep Learning Super Sampling or AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution. Intel's new hires will likely try to ensure a similar level of cooperation with developers along with the implementation of its XeSS technology.

Permalink to story.

This is good news. Consumers need a challenger to AMD and NVIDIA to hopefully keep prices in check because the GPU shortage and high prices have shown that consumers are willing to pay more…. I hope Intel pulls it off and releases a decent alternative with good drivers.

Go Intel, Nvidia do not have any competition at the moment so it would be nice if Intel can provide some.
Leave off - you have some good comments to make on other subjects - but this is tiresome and boring - Your comment may make you happy - but for for everyone else is just wishing that you can move on with your life - because it's sad and not funny or entertaining .

Nearly all the posters have been told off - I have , I rant on too much off topic - so get posts deleted .
We all welcome meaningful criticism of AMD GPUs - but spamming this is not it .Many of us are a anti some company - I'm anti Apples wall garden - mama knows best waterboy

Techspot is pretty hands off and informal - they rely on us self regulating .

...to hopefully keep prices in check because the GPU shortage and high prices have shown that consumers are willing to pay more
Actually they're going to use TSMC for these so probably as constrained as the rest of them when they launch but since it's Q2 2022 it might be better by then

I really hope these are good for gamming, but really bad for mining.
We need more competition in the GPU market. And we need GPUs that can be bought by gamers.

Leave off - you have some good comments to make on other subjects - but this is tiresome and boring - Your comment may make you happy - but for for everyone else is just wishing that you can move on with your life - because it's sad and not funny or entertaining .

Nearly all the posters have been told off - I have , I rant on too much off topic - so get posts deleted .
We all welcome meaningful criticism of AMD GPUs - but spamming this is not it .Many of us are a anti some company - I'm anti Apples wall garden - mama knows best waterboy

Techspot is pretty hands off and informal - they rely on us self regulating .
Lmao. Nope I’m not going anywhere. I’ve not been told off?

Nvidia absolutely do not have competition. Radeon is a festering heap of garbage. If it wasn’t then 6600XTs wouldn’t be selling for £200 less than a 3060. My point is meaningful criticism.

If you don’t like to read my opinions you’re welcome to block me. But I am not going anywhere.

Lmao. Nope I’m not going anywhere. I’ve not been told off?

Nvidia absolutely do not have competition. Radeon is a festering heap of garbage. If it wasn’t then 6600XTs wouldn’t be selling for £200 less than a 3060. My point is meaningful criticism.

If you don’t like to read my opinions you’re welcome to block me. But I am not going anywhere.
I don't block anyone here - I've liked your posts before and will probably do again - I like we have a wide diversity of people here . You are not going to be told off by the Mods - as you insulted no one and it was on topic - It just seemed a churlish post - Do as you like - We all have good memories here - so after awhile - your post will be implied on anything vaguely related to GPUs like QRs on 3090 or 1TB iphones
As I have stated in past posts citations needed - someone going on & on & on is dull . I owe 3 NVidias GPUs - I buy what is the best for me at the time .
Your original comment which you stand by - says you believe Nvidia has made no response to give consumers better things - because of AMD - like actually adding benefits to older cards - making more powerful GPUs - yeah nah
I know AMD has been rubbish with their Hardware encoding - Intel has better encoders than Nvidia - So that's one area Intel will push Nvidia to excel.
Nvidia wants ARM - also because Intel/AMD will have a big advantage going forward - by making good enough CPU/GPU combos for casual users .
I hope Intel can bring out a $200 option that absolutely kills it .
I was just offering some advice . I'm just a amatuer - Top lawyers have it down to an art/science how to convince/argue

I don't block anyone here - I've liked your posts before and will probably do again - I like we have a wide diversity of people here . You are not going to be told off by the Mods - as you insulted no one and it was on topic - It just seemed a churlish post - Do as you like - We all have good memories here - so after awhile - your post will be implied on anything vaguely related to GPUs like QRs on 3090 or 1TB iphones
As I have stated in past posts citations needed - someone going on & on & on is dull . I owe 3 NVidias GPUs - I buy what is the best for me at the time .
Your original comment which you stand by - says you believe Nvidia has made no response to give consumers better things - because of AMD - like actually adding benefits to older cards - making more powerful GPUs - yeah nah
I know AMD has been rubbish with their Hardware encoding - Intel has better encoders than Nvidia - So that's one area Intel will push Nvidia to excel.
Nvidia wants ARM - also because Intel/AMD will have a big advantage going forward - by making good enough CPU/GPU combos for casual users .
I hope Intel can bring out a $200 option that absolutely kills it .
I was just offering some advice . I'm just a amatuer - Top lawyers have it down to an art/science how to convince/argue
I do have a bias against Radeon. This is because I have spent most of my life on Radeon and they have burned me on so many occasions. They definitely do have weaker software that causes more issues than Nvidia cards get. And personally I’m sick of AMD getting away with it, there is more bad press about Nvidias higher CPU overhead than there is about AMDs crummy drivers. My next card will emphatically not be a Radeon. I’d like an Nvidia card but demand is so much higher for them (funnily enough) that their prices are absurd.

So my comment was genuine. I do hope Intel can provide competition where for me (and for many others) AMD are absent.

I do have a bias against Radeon. This is because I have spent most of my life on Radeon and they have burned me on so many occasions. They definitely do have weaker software that causes more issues than Nvidia cards get. And personally I’m sick of AMD getting away with it, there is more bad press about Nvidias higher CPU overhead than there is about AMDs crummy drivers. My next card will emphatically not be a Radeon. I’d like an Nvidia card but demand is so much higher for them (funnily enough) that their prices are absurd.

So my comment was genuine. I do hope Intel can provide competition where for me (and for many others) AMD are absent.
The 6800XT is pretty good and works with all the major operating systems: Windows, Linux, and Macintosh. The 6000 series is a good release by AMD. Much better than Vega and the 5000 series. Their drivers are stable no problems. Amd control panel is better than nvidia’s in my opinion.

Nvidia does have a decent solution as well. But nvidia cards no longer work with Macintosh. Nvidia is clearly the big dog in the industry, but with the 6000 series has made a comeback in my opinion. Looking forward to intel joining the ring as well and I hope Intel delivers a good solution to the ecosystem and in turn disciplines the exorbitant prices We’re facing from nvidia and amd.

The 6800XT is pretty good and works with all the major operating systems: Windows, Linux, and Macintosh. The 6000 series is a good release by AMD. Much better than Vega and the 5000 series. Their drivers are stable no problems. Amd control panel is better than nvidia’s in my opinion.

Nvidia does have a decent solution as well. But nvidia cards no longer work with Macintosh. Nvidia is clearly the big dog in the industry, but with the 6000 series has made a comeback in my opinion. Looking forward to intel joining the ring as well and I hope Intel delivers a good solution to the ecosystem and in turn disciplines the exorbitant prices We’re facing from nvidia and amd.
I don’t believe you. I’ve heard it all before. Besides most Radeon issues happen once the cards have been superseded. My RX 480 was pretty good in its first year or so. But then newer games come out and you get issues. It’s always the way.

Im sorry, im absolutely done with Radeon. Its utter snake oil.

I kind of optimistic about AMD - my only worry they are spread quite thin - they are not actually that big a company . They have better leadership and vision . They had that problem awhile back with regards to mainly gigabyte 570 M/Bs - they got to the heart of it reasonably quickly .
As I stated many times - with PS5 , Xbox domination - I think it will aid their drivers . I do wonder if they have been hampered by Nvidia/Developer deals - though I would imagine MS would be annoyed - must be a bit like browser rendering - one time it was about IE compatibility - I don't do web design - so maybe Chrome is main target now - anyway I only load Edge - if my protections on Chrome interfere - or I need 2 different log ins on say hotmail - business and a very old personal one .

back on topic - hope Intel brings back $200 GPUs - I can afford the RTX 5090 at $3000 - most people can't

I don’t believe you. I’ve heard it all before. Besides most Radeon issues happen once the cards have been superseded. My RX 480 was pretty good in its first year or so. But then newer games come out and you get issues. It’s always the way.

Im sorry, im absolutely done with Radeon. Its utter snake oil.
Ever think maybe it has something to do with your systems and how you use them. I have been using radeon cards for a very long time and have had very little issues with them in my systems. Then again I actually know how to maintain my systems the proper way and virus free.

I have had 2 nvidia cards in my past systems and one worked okish but was turned redundant fairly quickly because the newer games made it suck pretty bad fairly quickly and when I got that card it was the top of the line Nvidia card and 1.5 years later I found it pretty slow so I upgraded to a new Nvidia card and yes it was faster in some games than the older one but was also more prone to crashing or even sometimes slower than the old card.

I switched to AMD card and used it for 4 years and when I sold that card finally and not because it was buggy or feeling slow but because I came across a new AMD card that was on sale and to good to pass up and I still have that card in my system today and it plays all the new titles just fine without crashing or over heating and at decent speed.

My next card will be an AMD card for sure because in my own opinion their cards have serve my own needs well but hey if Intel pulls magic dust form their butts and actually produces some really great GPU's I may give them a look as well but you will never ever see me looking towards another Nvidia product because the 2 cards I had from them sucked and I found them leaving me wanting more not to long after I bought both of those cards from Nvidia.

We need Intel to step up and give both AMD and Nvidia a run for their money then maybe we can start to see graphics card prices come down a bit. Trust me every time AMD has recently come out with new cards you know Nvidia gets that scared tingle in their butts because they like to release things like those Super cards not long after AMD releases something or making ti models in between their regular models to pick up the pace a bit and sway users in their direction. No matter how much Nvidia CEO smugly stands on and tries to look all cool in his leather jacket or fake Kitchen and say AMD suck we so cool if you buy more from us you save big time moneys yep he so cool like a turd that is. /s

Ever think maybe it has something to do with your systems and how you use them. I have been using radeon cards for a very long time and have had very little issues with them in my systems. Then again I actually know how to maintain my systems the proper way and virus free.

I have had 2 nvidia cards in my past systems and one worked okish but was turned redundant fairly quickly because the newer games made it suck pretty bad fairly quickly and when I got that card it was the top of the line Nvidia card and 1.5 years later I found it pretty slow so I upgraded to a new Nvidia card and yes it was faster in some games than the older one but was also more prone to crashing or even sometimes slower than the old card.

I switched to AMD card and used it for 4 years and when I sold that card finally and not because it was buggy or feeling slow but because I came across a new AMD card that was on sale and to good to pass up and I still have that card in my system today and it plays all the new titles just fine without crashing or over heating and at decent speed.

My next card will be an AMD card for sure because in my own opinion their cards have serve my own needs well but hey if Intel pulls magic dust form their butts and actually produces some really great GPU's I may give them a look as well but you will never ever see me looking towards another Nvidia product because the 2 cards I had from them sucked and I found them leaving me wanting more not to long after I bought both of those cards from Nvidia.

We need Intel to step up and give both AMD and Nvidia a run for their money then maybe we can start to see graphics card prices come down a bit. Trust me every time AMD has recently come out with new cards you know Nvidia gets that scared tingle in their butts because they like to release things like those Super cards not long after AMD releases something or making ti models in between their regular models to pick up the pace a bit and sway users in their direction. No matter how much Nvidia CEO smugly stands on and tries to look all cool in his leather jacket or fake Kitchen and say AMD suck we so cool if you buy more from us you save big time moneys yep he so cool like a turd that is. /s
No its not user error. Im fed up this fanboy excuse to try and render my experience meaningless. The issues they have are usually acknowledged on their own site. (The black screen issue for example). Everytime I get an AMD GPU its the same old story.

Clearly im not the only one, AMD are currently selling at best 1 card for every 5 Nvidia does and the trend is negative against AMD as their market share is ever declining.

You will learn eventually. Radeon is hot garbage.

No its not user error. Im fed up this fanboy excuse to try and render my experience meaningless. The issues they have are usually acknowledged on their own site. (The black screen issue for example). Everytime I get an AMD GPU its the same old story.

Clearly im not the only one, AMD are currently selling at best 1 card for every 5 Nvidia does and the trend is negative against AMD as their market share is ever declining.

You will learn eventually. Radeon is hot garbage.
Black screen issue?? I have never had that happen to me personally when I was not trying to do something dumb like push my card to far with a to aggressive overclock and the Radeon software catches the cards crash caused my my own overclock pushing the core or memory to hard and puts me back to the desktop after a short time.

If that is the black screen issue you refer to then yes that is my own user error and I would rather have the software let me gracefully get back to the desktop at least. As for being a fan boy I am the farthest thing from one if I find problems with some piece of hardware or the software sucks I am one of the loudest on the internet with negative comments.

yes there may be small problems here and there with some hardware and the software with it but that happens to pretty much everything that has been ever made as nothing is perfect. I do admit to having a hate for Nvidia themselves mainly because of their CEO being a douche bag but that is just my own opinion on the matter.

Black screen issue?? I have never had that happen to me personally when I was not trying to do something dumb like push my card to far with a to aggressive overclock and the Radeon software catches the cards crash caused my my own overclock pushing the core or memory to hard and puts me back to the desktop after a short time.

If that is the black screen issue you refer to then yes that is my own user error and I would rather have the software let me gracefully get back to the desktop at least. As for being a fan boy I am the farthest thing from one if I find problems with some piece of hardware or the software sucks I am one of the loudest on the internet with negative comments.

yes there may be small problems here and there with some hardware and the software with it but that happens to pretty much everything that has been ever made as nothing is perfect. I do admit to having a hate for Nvidia themselves mainly because of their CEO being a douche bag but that is just my own opinion on the matter.
Ive been building PCs for decades. As I mentioned, you will soon learn how god awful Radeon software support is as you get more experienced with PC gaming. Whenever polls are conducted people always say Radeon is more unreliable and Radeons ever declining market share speaks volumes. Im glad you haven’t suffered from any issues yet. But from my experience over the 5 Radeon cards I have owned is that they usually come 1-2 years down the line. Like right now I’m suffering from awful stuttering on no mans sky due to a driver conflict (according to various forums).

Also your hate for Nvidias CEO shouldn’t matter. You don’t actually know him and besides, leave that to the fanboys. I don’t give a dam who the CEO is or what they say, I make my purchasing decisions on previous experience and reviews. I don’t hate any CEO, I don’t care.

Back