Intel launches Tiger Lake CPUs with Xe graphics for laptops, aims higher than Ryzen 4000

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In brief: Intel has unveiled its 11th-gen Core "Tiger Lake" processors. The new line of silicon features Iris Xe graphics and uses Intel's latest 10nm "SuperFin" process. Tiger Lake is aimed at thin-and-light laptops because they offer higher performance with better power efficiency. It also claims to outperform AMD's Ryzen 7 4800U.

The new processors are part of the Intel Evo platform, which was also introduced today during its livestream. The Evo brand is an umbrella for laptop processors design to Project Athena specifications, which the company debuted last year.

The company is expecting more than 20 laptop designs sporting the Evo badge to be released this year.

There are nine Tiger Lake processors in all, compiled into two groups—five in the UP3 family and four in the UP4 family, formerly the U-series and Y-series. Both sets have OEM-configurable TDP settings ranging from 12-28W on UP3 chips and 7-15W on UP4.

CPU Graphics Cores / Threads Graphics (EUs) Cache Memory Operating Range Base Freq (GHz) Max Single Core Turbo (GHz, up to) Max All Core Turbo (GHz, up to) Graphics Max Freq (GHz, up to)
UP3 Core i7-1185G7 Intel Iris Xe 4/8 96 12MB DDR4-3200LPDDR4x-4266 12-28W 3.0 4.8 4.3 1.35
Core i7-1165G7 Intel Iris Xe 4/8 96 12MB DDR4-3200LPDDR4x-4266 12-28W 2.8 4.7 4.1 1.30
Core i5-1135G7 Intel Iris Xe 4/8 80 8MB DDR4-3200LPDDR4x-4266 12-28W 2.4 4.2 3.8 1.30
Core i3-1125G4 Intel UHD Graphics 4/8 48 8MB DDR4-3200LPDDR4x-3733 12-28W 2.0 3.7 3.3 1.25
Core i3-1115G4 Intel UHD Graphics 2/4 48 6MB DDR4-3200LPDDR4x-3733 12-28W 3.0 4.1 4.1 1.25
-
UP4 Core i7-1160G7 Intel Iris Xe 4/8 96 12MB LPDDR4x-4266 7-15W 1.2 4.4 3.6 1.1
Core i5-1130G7 Intel Iris Xe 4/8 80 8MB LPDDR4x-4266 7-15W 1.1 4.0 3.4 1.1
Core i3-1120G4 Intel UHD Graphics 4/8 48 8MB LPDDR4x-4266 7-15W 1.1 3.5 3.0 1.1
Core i3-1110G4 Intel UHD Graphics 2/4 48 6MB LPDDR4x-4266 7-15W 1.8 3.9 3.9 1.1

Considered the flagship of the Tiger Lake line, the Intel Core i7-1185G7 is a quad-core/8-thread processor featuring 1.35GHz Iris Xe graphics with 96 EU and 12MB of L3 cache. It has a base frequency of 3GHz, but can be clocked up to 4.8 in Turbo mode.

Intel claims it provides "more than a generational leap in performance" in early benchmarks compared with the previous generation of U-series chips.

"[Tiger Lake delivers] up to 2.7x faster content creation, more than 20% faster office productivity, and more than 2x faster gaming plus streaming in real-world workflows. More than 150 designs based on 11th Gen Intel Core processors are expected from Acer, Asus, Dell, Dynabook, HP, Lenovo, LG, MSI, Razer, Samsung, and others, with more than 20 verified designs expected this year. They represent Intel’s most ambitious system-on-chip (SoC), delivering more than a generational leap in performance and the best experiences for U-series laptops in productivity, creation, gaming, entertainment and collaboration"

Intel claims the Core i7-1185G7 can outperformed the Ryzen 7 4800U by a healthy margin in most gaming benchmarks, which you can find on its website. Keep in mind that OEM TDP configurations and other factors are going to swing the needle widely. So take Intel's ideal test conditions with a grain of salt. We'll want to wait for our own benchmarks to see how the new silicon measures up on a level and practical playing field.

Permalink to story.

We'll see. Intel is on record at investor calls that it's initial 10nm tech will have worse performance characteristics than it's 14nm+++++.

Thanks for that reminder. That should definitely curb everyone's excitement, but I'm cautiously hopeful that they were merely trying to set low expectations due to only modest improvements.

That would be nice from a competitive standpoint. I think Intel stands to a decent amount of laptop marketshare if this generation isn't good.

What does it even matter cause we wont be seeing most of the laptops in 2020 anyways. There is such a huge supply issue none of this even matters. People can barely find cheap laptops or chromebooks but Intel or anyone thinks theyll get out 20 laptops is high. HP, Lenovo and Dell all have said supply issues could go on awhile and no one is expecting anything to be fixed this year.
While things may improve a lil, improving isnt fixing the problem when a store doesnt have sh*t to sell.

They are claiming the performance crown against an 8 core CPU... yeah I want to see real life benchmarks. They couldn't do even 6 cores?

Well, the AMD based model was a Chinese market only Lenovo Xiaoxin 13, so I bet Intel chose this particular model because it‘s the best performing 4800u with excellent thermals.
/s

And Bapco Sysmark.....

But will Iris Xe make developers drop "will not support any integrated GPU ever" attitude?

We'll see. Intel is on record at investor calls that it's initial 10nm tech will have worse performance characteristics than it's 14nm+++++.
To be fair, this is their second mass-produced 10nm version. The first did indeed have significantly worse frequency/voltage curve, which is why Ice Lake didn't actually outperform Comet Lake-U - higher IPC advantage was eaten up by lower clocks. If Tiger Lake does indeed achieve 20% higher frequencies than Ice Lake, it should finally be faster than mobile 14nm.

Flagship still has only 4 cores in this age, eh? (Yes, even when talking about mobile CPUs).
You do realise that this is only their U and Y lineup meant for lightweight notebooks. Their mainstream H-series is due for Q1 2021 which will indeed have up to 8 cores according to leaks.

You do realise that this is only their U and Y lineup meant for lightweight notebooks. Their mainstream H-series is due for Q1 2021 which will indeed have up to 8 cores according to leaks.
There is no reason to not offer 6 or 8 ores in an U series CPU unless it's not technically viable with the current process node and architecture (although they are using their new enhanced 10nm process node). The 4800U is an 8 core / 16threads CPU used in the same class of ultrabooks.

Finally the competition is driving improvements! I enjoy seeing AMD and intel changing blows a lot. We have to wait for benchmarks to see if the above claims are accurate.
Until then, the 4800U is king.

There is no reason to not offer 6 or 8 ores in an U series CPU unless it's not technically viable with the current process node and architecture (although they are using their new enhanced 10nm process node). The 4800U is an 8 core / 16threads CPU used in the same class of ultrabooks.
Oh no, it's absolutely feasible for Intel to stuff 8 cores in a 15-28W envelope, a bad idea, mind you, but they won't because they know that they don't need to. The 4800U's boost clocks of 4.3ghz drops down to 2.3ghz after sustained multithreaded workloads (not exactly a surprise) because of the scuffed power limits. The 1185g7 demolishes the 4800u in single threaded tasks, and is just as fast in multithreaded ones, while having half the cores. Not to mention the 50-100% faster iGPU matching MX 350 levels of performance, it's obvious that we already have a winner here.

Oh no, it's absolutely feasible for Intel to stuff 8 cores in a 15-28W envelope, a bad idea, mind you, but they won't because they know that they don't need to. The 4800U's boost clocks of 4.3ghz drops down to 2.3ghz after sustained multithreaded workloads (not exactly a surprise) because of the scuffed power limits. The 1185g7 demolishes the 4800u in single threaded tasks, and is just as fast in multithreaded ones, while having half the cores. Not to mention the 50-100% faster iGPU matching MX 350 levels of performance, it's obvious that we already have a winner here.
Let‘s wait for the first independent Benchmarks, although I have a feeling that Intel‘s new iGPU will be faster - until Van Gogh is released. As for the rest, it would need to be a huge performance increase over ICL if Intel is to „crush“ AMD in any sustained task.

For me „crush“ = at least 25% faster, ideally more, but for some even 5% means crushing, at least on specific tasks.

When they claim that TDP doesn't matter and Cinebench is niche. I just can't take Intel seriously any more.
Using the widely discredited Sysmark in their fluff, shows the lows they will stoop to.

I'll wait for the proper benchmarks before making any definite decisions on my upcoming laptop purchase.
Mind you...consuming 28w at 4.8ghz would be tasty. (or toasty) (or just plain fantasy).

You are making some really weird claims without actually seeing any real benchmarks. You don't even know at what power limits the tests were made by Intel.

Just as fast in multithreaded? That's just wishful thinking, we are talking about 4 vs 8 cores here. Even Intel didn't dare show such benchmarks.

"more than 20% faster office productivity"

Some day I'd like to find out what the hell that means?

And good luck finding an OEM that won't cripple the TDP to 15w or max turbo of 28w for 30 seconds or less.

Otherwise it sounds like really good specs...
Well in my case we use a network imaging software that scans nodes, routers and models and builds an image of the network you’re looking at. It can take quite a while for it to get through that data and seems to be at 100% usage in my CPU when I do it. I wouldn’t mind 20% being lopped off that time.

You are making some really weird claims without actually seeing any real benchmarks. You don't even know at what power limits the tests were made by Intel.

Just as fast in multithreaded? That's just wishful thinking, we are talking about 4 vs 8 cores here. Even Intel didn't dare show such benchmarks.
You can buy an 8 core Intel atom that will get destroyed in multicore tests by a 2 core i3. Just because a CPU has more cores doesn’t mean it’s better. I mean the CPU in question is from AMD, with their track record it’s probably actually just a quad core anyway!

Well in my case we use a network imaging software that scans nodes, routers and models and builds an image of the network you’re looking at. It can take quite a while for it to get through that data and seems to be at 100% usage in my CPU when I do it. I wouldn’t mind 20% being lopped off that time.

That sounds like niche case scenario but even if not and you don't get the full 28W TDP for extended periods you won't get anywhere near 20% improvement.

Back