Intel preps unlocked Core i7, other new chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Intel is reportedly gearing up to launch several new processors, including one that is unlocked. The Core i7-875K is the company's first unlocked LGA1156 CPU, and according to Fudzilla it should fit in any P55-based motherboard, which will require a BIOS update to have full control over the chip's speed. The quad-core processor is believed to have a frequency around 3.0GHz, a 95W TDP, Turbo Boost, and supports dual-channel DDR3 1333MHz RAM.

Also on the horizon is a new 32nm dual-core Core i5-680, and the 45nm i7-870S. The former is said to be the highest-clocked Nehalem processor to date, with a speed of 3.6GHz. It will supposedly replace the i5-670 and cost about $284. Meanwhile, the latter supposedly clocks in at 2.93GHz with a reduced power consumption of 82W, and will run $560 in bulk. No precise launch schedule is known for the chips.

Permalink to story.

If you don't fear replacing the whole platform once it has run it has served its purpose; I see no issue with LGA1156. How many people continue to use their motherboard for anything beyond say 5 eyars? Not many I would say, generally enthusiasts/avid users change everything much more quickly. So, I really don't see any issue with the platform as long as it offers great bang for your bucks. Hence, addition of this chip may be a good incentive for many overclockers out there.

Just waiting for the "new" lga 775. LGA1156? no future there.

You seem to be confusing socket longevity with chipset longevity.
LGA 775 might be a long-lived socket, but have you tried to run a moderately late model LGA 775 CPU ( say, a E8400 or Q9550) on a 915P (or for that matter a 945P, 955X etc.) chipset ?
Chipset / CPU compatibility typically lasts 3-4 years, anything beyond that will usually come down to vendor specific BIOS/motherboard options.

Archean said:
If you don't fear replacing the whole platform once it has run it has served its purpose; I see no issue with LGA1156.

Totally agree. A couple months ago I decided to go with the 1156 socket which is cheaper by far and at the time the performance benchmarks were comparable (i7 860 vs i7 920).

I decided the 1366 will come down in price in the next couple years. When the i9's come out, then I might think about switching sockets. The only upgrade from 1156 to 1366 would be the memory, CPU and cooler, all of which should have a fairly decent resale value.

You would think Intel would just make life easy and produce all unlocked multipliers like AMD has been doing now. Its a great feature to have for everyone that is overclocking just bump the multiplier up and your done instead of dealing with all these voltage tweaks and BCLK settings. Still seems to be keeping the high price tags on their CPU's and I feel no reason to move up from my i7 920 at 4.2Ghz on air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back