Intel releases new Core i5 desktop and Celeron mobile CPUs

Jos

Staff

We're just a few weeks away from Ivy Bridge's launch but that isn't stopping the Santa Clara manufacturing giant from refreshing its current Sandy Bridge lineup one more time. The company updated its processor price list over the weekend, with as many as three new Core i5 desktop parts, and four single- and dual-core Celeron mobile chips.

The new Core i5 models include the Core i5-2550K priced at $225 -- just $9 more than the i5-2500K --, the i5-2450P at $195, and i5-2380P for $177. All of them feature four cores and can handle four concurrent threads, they have 6MB of L3 cache, and a 95W TDP. All of these models will reportedly come with no integrated graphics.

The most expensive model operates at at 3.4GHz, 100MHz higher than the i5-2500K, with a 3.8GHz maximum Turbo Boost speed. The Core i5-2450P operates between 3.2 and 3.5GHz, while the less expensive Core i5-2380 has a 3.1GHz stock frequency and 3.4GHz maximum Turbo Boost speed. The chips are expected to go against AMD's Phenom II X4, X6 and FX-81xx lineup.

As for the new Celeron microprocessors, they include the Mobile Celeron B815 (1.6 GHz, 512KB L2, 2MB L3, two cores, $86), B720 (1.7GHz, 512KB L2, 1MB L3, two cores, $70), ultra-low voltage 867 (512KB L2, 2MB L3, 2 cores, $134) and 797 (1.4GHz, 512KB L2, 1MB L3, single core, $107).

Permalink to story.

Still making Celerons, huh?

Can anyone tell me why they might be making Celerons? are the better than the old ones? (I Hope)

A lot of their celeron processors goes into smaller devices such as routers. I have a buffalo router that has one.

I can say that the new celerons are phenominally better than the old ones.
Just saying though, they are still very basic processors, for home office use, not for gaming or 3D/programming work.

Those second gen i5's are soooo fast. And the price is perfect. The fact these new ones lack integrated graphics is a real plus if you're using nvidia or ati cards. Drops the price quite a bit and it's one less thing to fail. The 6mb cache is insane too, for the price.

by "weeks" they mean like 2 and a half months.
Sounds about right.

Released to Manufacturer in two weeks and then two months later released to the public. I read some where this was the plan because Manufacturers was screwed when Sandy Bridge was released and then found a chipset bug that halted production.

cliffordcooley said:
by "weeks" they mean like 2 and a half months.
Sounds about right.

Released to Manufacturer in two weeks and then two months later released to the public. I read some where this was the plan because Manufacturers was screwed when Sandy Bridge was released and then found a chipset bug that halted production.

Intel manufactures their own CPUs and motherboards. The other guys buy the right to print boards with their technology. So distributors will get their hands on them in a couple weeks and then it will be another week before they arrive for sale.

Intel manufactures their own CPUs and motherboards. The other guys buy the right to print boards with their technology. So distributors will get their hands on them in a couple weeks and then it will be another week before they arrive for sale.
My point is, I read somewhere that manufacturers will be given a chance to profit from pre-built machines before the technology is released to the general public for them to build their own machines.

I'm not sure why the comment about Intel building their own CPU and motherboard. Did I somehow suggest otherwise and not realize it?

So the i5-2550k is now an i7-2600k without hyperthreading and 6mb L3 cache. At least it's only $9 more instead of the 2700k which is a whopping $35-$40 more than the 2600k.

Back