Intel says Skylake, Broadwell CPU shortages will be remedied "soon"

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Processors built on Intel’s new Skylake architecture officially launched on August 5 but that doesn’t mean you can actively fork over your hard-earned money for one today. If you live in North America or Latin America, you’re going to have a pretty tough time tracking down a Skylake CPU due to supply limitations.

It’s something Intel is aware of and fortunately, the issue should resolve itself soon, the company told The Tech Report.

The Broadwell Core i7-5775C, meanwhile, is another chip that Intel said it is experiencing strong demand for. Those gunning for that processor will be happy to hear that availability will become more widespread as the current quarter progresses.

A quick check over at Newegg shows motherboards based on the new Intel Z170 chipset are readily available from the likes of ASRock, Asus, EVGA, Gigabyte and MSI while the Core i7-6700K is listed as pre-release and coming soon. The Core i5-6600K, meanwhile, is priced at $249.99 but isn’t expected to be available until August 14; the Core i7-5775C doesn’t even have a listing yet.

If you haven’t already checked them out, I’d encourage you to read through our reviews of both the Core i7-6700K and the Core i7-5775C, especially if you’re in the market for a new CPU and motherboard. We also published an article explaining the difference between the Z170 and the Z97 chipset if you're wishing to dig deeper. Those upgrading from Sandy Bridge processors or earlier will get the most out of the Core i7-6700K although chips like the 2500K are still very serviceable four and a half years after launch, especially when overclocked.

Permalink to story.

A good thing this doesn't affect me but I hope Intel has their 'stock shortage' woes sorted out in about three years time or else I will be affected.

What BS they have years to be ready. All the do is small improvements they have no need to do nothing major and they create headlines by announcing shortages of products that are not even released yet.

I totally agree with posters before, additionally, if both Broadwell and especially Skylake are not widely or oficially deployed, what certainty we have all the reviews weren't based on selected pieces send to shops by Intel?

I would love to shed more light in the matter, but it's confidential [and I could lose my job]. All I can say is: @Frank Barnett and @noel24 you couldn't be farther from the truth. What I can say and is not confidential: the 6700K's provided to reviewers are within the same range of capabilities other 6700K's are, they are run through the same tests and sorting processes others are in order to be named as a certain SKU. As long as what reviewers get is not an engineering sample, it should be very close -keep in mind the OC roulette- to what the consumer can get.

Is there a reason for why Intel should resupply Broadwell stocks ?

Some reasons:
1. Broadwell's Crystal Well graphics are superior to Skylake's and this may come handy for people whose main purpose is productivity and then some casual gaming/3D render on a budget (?) -I'm talking about not adding a professional graphics card- or it could help in the future if DX12 titles implement multi-adapter support.

2. Broadwell doesn't require, for those with Haswell, a mobo upgrade nor memory. Still, even if you intended to upgrade from Ivy or before, you could still keep your DDR3 modules and save some money there.

3. DDR4 modules' still high prices with diminishing returns compared to DDR3 may keep most from investing top dollar on something that doesn't provide any improvement in many scenarios -there's even a LinusTechTips video comparing DDR4 quad vs single channel without improvement when using discrete graphics. Even Steve found that due to horrible timings on DDR4: DDR4-2666 was worse [and in most cases is more expensive] than DDR3-2400. Not even higher density modules are available yet.

Some reasons

But do people care? Intel is bound to release a flagship i7 with Iris Pro, like they did with the Haswell i7, 4770R. No one is going to upgrade from Haswell to Broadwell, so that's a moot point. People know that a die shrink requires a new chipset, so nothing new there, a new mobo doesn't bother them. The DDR3 vs DDR4 is not a new argument. It was the same with Core 2 Quad DDR2 support and 1st Gen Core I DDR3 support, and people upgraded anyway. Granted, it was actually worth it back then.

But do people care? Intel is bound to release a flagship i7 with Iris Pro, like they did with the Haswell i7, 4770R. No one is going to upgrade from Haswell to Broadwell, so that's a moot point. People know that a die shrink requires a new chipset, so nothing new there, a new mobo doesn't bother them. The DDR3 vs DDR4 is not a new argument. It was the same with Core 2 Quad DDR2 support and 1st Gen Core I DDR3 support, and people upgraded anyway. Granted, it was actually worth it back then.

There's a strong demand from Broadwell, I'm writing down the "pros" that could help it. I wrote "even if you upgrade from Ivy or before" you keep your DDR3 modules. Of course DDR3 vs DDR4 is not a new argument; but it's still valid since prices and densities haven't changed much from the introduction of Haswell-E.

DDR4 3000 MHz modules are bloody expensive without even comparing with DDR3 2400 MHz. If people with Sandy Bridge has been reluctant to upgrade all this time... I'm sure Skylake doesn't have much argument when it comes to total build cost vs performance. I myself was disappointed, the hype claimed a lot more than we actually got. With DDR4 prices in mind, and Skylake's gains; my suggestions within friends and family will remain with Broadwell and before as of right now.

And here is an elemental shift between DDR2 and DDR3: DDR3 doubled from the 8 bytes DDR2 could provide in a read access to 16 bytes. Even with increased timings back then, there was a tangible advantage in throughput. That didn't change in DDR4; in fact, DDR3 and DDR4 are so similar that most of the modifications done to DDR4 were to improve signal integrity at higher frequencies.

Hehe.... good thing I got my 6700K one day before the launch... at 4th august. :)
Sad part is, that we don't have here any ITX boards yet with 1151 socket.

This is B.S. There was no supply problems. All the Supply went to EU Countrys.
No Supply even showed up at any retailers. Somethings up, someone screwed up - and there is no one asking the right questions. There's not even a date given when it will be available. Make a statement INTEL.

Intel is a US Based Company. They should have released here first. Supply should have been here first period.
Intel - you left a bad taste in my mouth regarding this.

This is B.S. There was no supply problems. All the Supply went to EU Countrys.
No Supply even showed up at any retailers. Somethings up, someone screwed up - and there is no one asking the right questions. There's not even a date given when it will be available. Make a statement INTEL.

Intel is a US Based Company. They should have released here first. Supply should have been here first period.
Intel - you left a bad taste in my mouth regarding this.

? Could you show us your sources or from where you get the claims? I did a quick search in Skinflint and among 4 countries there's a total of less than 50 i7s in stock, Amazon UK through a third-party only has 3 in stock. Counting in the tents doesn't make it "all the supply".

Back