Intel shows off Xeon Platinum CPU with up to 56 cores and 112 threads

Polycount

Staff
What just happened? AMD and Intel have been fighting for processor supremacy for years, and Intel's latest blow to its competitor has finally been unveiled. The company today announced its Cascade Lake-based Xeon Platinum 9200 processor line-up, designed primarily for high-end server usage and deep learning applications.

For those purposes, the processors will likely go above and beyond in terms of performance (though we'll need to perform our own benchmarks to be certain).

Even the lowest-end chip, the 9221, has 32 cores, 64 threads, a 2.1GHz base clock speed, a 71.5MB cache, and a TDP of 250W. On the high end, those first two numbers roughly double; with the Xeon Platinum 9282 boasting 56 cores, 112 threads, base clock speeds of around 2.6GHz, a 77Mb cache, and a TDP of 400W.

Filling out the mid-range, we have the 9242 and the 9222. The former contains 48 cores and 96 threads, with a 71.5Mb cache, a 2.3GHz base clock speed, and a 350W TDP. The latter, on the other hand, is virtually identical to the 9221 - the only notable difference is its clock speed, which comes in at 2.3GHz by default.

All of the chips in Intel's new Xeon Scalable line-up will include support for lightning-fast Optane storage, as well as improved hardware-based protections against Spectre and Meltdown attacks, according to Anandtech.

We don't know exactly how much these new pieces of silicon will run you, but based on the pricing of Intel's previous datacenter processors, you can expect these devices to be well out of reach of even the most hardcore PC enthusiasts.

Permalink to story.

As you may or may not know, Newegg is apparently entering the CPI fab game. Announced yesterday, (April 1st), this is their first offering, and apparently the flagship of their line.

https://www.newegg.com/promotions/n...119&cm_mmc=EMC-GD040119-_-index-_-L0-_-iBrite

iBrite_anim.gif

Here are the quite formidable specifications to this beast:

• Cores: 100
  • Threads: 200
  • DDR5 RAM support: Sure, probably
  • Base clock: 1.4 PHz
  • Overclock capable, but doing so might create a small black hole inside your CPU (and void your warranty)
  • PCIe Lanes: 28. Oh you're really gonna use more? Please...
  • Socket LGA1151 compatible. We're as surprised as you are
  • RGB lighting capable
  • You can pay for more colors. People like microtransactions, right?
  • Also, don't de-lid these. Seriously. You'll break all the RGB
  • And you'll hurt our feelings
  • Includes a free copy of LawBreakers

Last edited:
As you may or may not know, Newrgg is apparently entering the CPI fab game. Announced yesterday, (April 1st), this is their first offering, and apparently the flagship of their line.

https://www.newegg.com/promotions/n...119&cm_mmc=EMC-GD040119-_-index-_-L0-_-iBrite

iBrite_anim.gif

• Overclock capable, but doing so might create a small black hole inside your CPU (and void your warranty)
  • RGB lighting capable

This is amazing.

As you may or may not know, Newrgg is apparently entering the CPI fab game. Announced yesterday, (April 1st), this is their first offering, and apparently the flagship of their line.

iBrite_anim.gif

• RGB lighting capable
The one big caveat is that this announcement was on April 1st after all. ;) Had sIntel decided to announce on April 1st it probably would have been considered an April Fools Joke, too! ;)

iBrite_anim.gif

• RGB lighting capable
Leave LawBreakers out of this ;)

Even if these chips are $5000 each, many businesses will laugh at the price.

Different segments for these Xeons and the Epyc platform I suppose.

But this year if AMD will sell you a dual socket board, 128 cores with 7nm power efficiency populated by 256GB of RAM and it'll still probably cost less than what Intel want for a 14nm 56 core chip by itself then yeah, AMD gonna steal market share.

Even if these chips are $5000 each, many businesses will laugh at the price.
The only use case I can see for these are either businesses chasing the absolute maximum core count, or those that want to pay the minimum for software licensing per socket and need as much power as possible.

"Even the lowest-end chip, the 9221, has 32 cores, 64 threads, a 2.1GHz base clock speed, a 71.5MB cache, and a TDP of 250W. On the high end, those first two numbers double; with the Xeon Platinum 9282 boasting 56 cores, 112 threads, base clock speeds of around 2.6GHz, a 77Mb cache, and a TDP of 400W."

Apparently, 32 x 2 = 56 and 64 x 2 = 112.... Can someone please let the author know what the word "double" means?

"Even the lowest-end chip, the 9221, has 32 cores, 64 threads, a 2.1GHz base clock speed, a 71.5MB cache, and a TDP of 250W. On the high end, those first two numbers double; with the Xeon Platinum 9282 boasting 56 cores, 112 threads, base clock speeds of around 2.6GHz, a 77Mb cache, and a TDP of 400W."

Apparently, 32 x 2 = 56 and 64 x 2 = 112.... Can someone please let the author know what the word "double" means?
Oops. :scream: I meant to write "roughly" double for the sake of brevity, seems I either removed that or forgot to put it in the first place. Fixed now. Thanks for making me chuckle and pointing it out.

400W TDP lol. I'm pretty sure the Rome 64core Epyc chip is less than that. No data center is going to increase their electricity costs that much. Dream on Intel.

Given that AMD's current EPYC 32 core flagship runs at 180w and that they have already given multiple presentations on Zen 2 giving them double the cores at the same power I believe Intel has shown their hand and it looks like they are completely screwed.

The price of Intel is one thing but four times the power consumption and less cores? That's not even taking into account the IPC improvement of Zen 2 or that SMT is superior then HT in certain workloads. On top of even all that, Intel is doing a dual die design as well, which means additional latency.

Even if Intel were to price these aggressively, which they can't, that TDP is crazy.

Last edited:
400W TDP lol. I'm pretty sure the Rome 64core Epyc chip is less than that. No data center is going to increase their electricity costs that much. Dream on Intel.

Given that AMD's current EPYC 32 core flagship runs at 180w and that they have already given multiple presentations on Zen 2 giving them double the cores at the same power I believe Intel has shown their hand and it looks like they are completely screwed.

The price of Intel is one thing but four times the power consumption and less cores? That's not even taking into account the IPC improvement of Zen 2 or that SMT is superior then HT in certain workloads. On top of even all that, Intel is doing a dual die design as well, which means additional latency.

Even if Intel were to price these aggressively, which they can't, that TDP is crazy.
idk amd's rx 570, 580, and 590 consume electricity more than the competition yet people are still buying them (me included: asus rx 580 8GB).

if there is a need, companies will buy these intel xeon processors for their businesses.

Bear in mind that those "56 cores and 112 threads" are usable in single user environments only. Thanks to the multitude of Spectre bugs this chip cannot separate users (Intel is affected much more than others are, as they cheated the most with "speculative execution"). In other words, if you are running a big box with various compartments, this isn’t for you as your users would be able to access each other’s data. ;-)

idk amd's rx 570, 580, and 590 consume electricity more than the competition yet people are still buying them (me included: asus rx 580 8GB).

if there is a need, companies will buy these intel xeon processors for their businesses.
Consume more cost 50% LESS, if it cost more, should not consume more, its logic...

Well first those cards are all consumer cards. Xeons are clearly targeted at business and that's what we were talking about

Second, Both the RX 570 and RX 580 provide more performance then the competing products so consuming more power makes sense

Thrid, the power difference between the graphics cards you listed and their competitors is nowhere near four times as it is for these xeons CPUs.

Fourth, what do consumer graphics cards have to do with enterprise CPUs? Nothing, you are completely off topic.

When performance and time matters most, you bet they will.

Back