Intel will launch its AI-based, toxic voice chat filtering 'Bleep' software later this...

Polycount

Staff
AI to the rescue: Anyone who's played an online competitive game for longer than a few hours -- and with random users instead of friends -- has probably encountered a jerk or two. Trash-talking is a staple of online gaming, and can even be a bit of fun to participate in at its best. However, at its worst, it can lead to toxicity and harassment, which Intel is seeking to combat using the power of AI.

The hardware maker has created a piece of software called "Bleep," which uses machine learning to filter out unsavory language over voice chat. Bleep will be optional, of course -- not everyone is bothered by the same language (and some people aren't bothered by any of it), so Intel provides Bleep users with a high degree of control over their experience.

You can be as broad or narrow as you'd like with your adjustments. If you just want a set it and forget it option, you can choose to "Bleep" Some, Most, or All toxic chat. Alternatively, you can block out different categories of "hateful and abusive speech," such as ableism and body shaming, LGBTQ+ hate, misogyny, name-calling, racism, white nationalism, and even the "N-word."

As with the broader controls, depending on your preferences, you can tell Bleep to block out None, Some, Most, or All of the language from each category (except the N-word, which is a binary on/off switch).

Some would argue that banter and name-calling are part of the online gaming experience, and perhaps they'd be right -- but Intel says nearly a quarter of gamers (22 percent) quit games outright due to harassment and toxicity. In the company's mind, this illustrates a "complex problem" that the "entire industry" needs to address sooner rather than later. Intel acknowledges that Bleep isn't a complete solution to the issue, but feels it is still a step in the right direction.

For transparency's sake, the percentage quoted above comes from a survey conducted by the Anti Defamation League in November 2020. It used a sample size of 1,000 US-based gamers between the ages of 18 and 45.

Bleep will launch sometime later this year, and it sounds like it will be freely available to everyone -- or, at least, everyone running an Intel-based system.

Masthead credit: mapo_japan

Permalink to story.

The ADF is the same group that claims anyone who disagrees with BLM's message of "murder white people" is a racist. And LMFAO at AI trying to combat "harassment", bruh, how many times you have to fail at this until you realize this isnt going to work? Snowflakes get offended at everything, including each other, and any serious effort to clean up online language will be called racist for shutting down black people who throw slurs like candy. Just like the facial recognition software police used.

Stop trying to invade online spaces you guys. Moderate your own voice apps and leave people alone. Thank god for teamspeak and private voice servers.

I don't see this going very far unless game devs decide to use or implement any of it. Trash talking is apart of gaming and yes at times it gets out of hand. But I'd say that's more rarity than the norm. Trash talking isn't going anywhere, hell it's been apart of all sports and all ages.

As for some of the racist and other nonsense that can happen, I doubt it can be controlled or even managed all that well.

FOR online gamers, if you are easily offended then online gaming may not be for you. Can't take it personally. Remember, no one is out to get you, it's just bs n Trash talk to get under your skin. Ignore or simply use the mute button, it's has been there. I never understand why so many don't use it. They listen to someone being toxic when all they had to do is mute.

I personally like the chatting/talking, yes Trash talking is going to happen or you will even do it back, it's all part of the online experience. Don't like it, then simply don't play online. It's not rocket science people.

As for the N word. My take is this. If black people wouldn't have used to it so much when talking with each other than white kids would have never used it n it wouldn't have become such a cultural thing. But those things did and has happened.

Lots of white kids used the word to look cool either in front of friends or black people. Some could get away with it but most can't.
Nowadays all kids are saying it.

My thing is to realize that it does promote hate. Don't be that person that goes down that road. It's a lot easier to hate than to forgive/show love. No one is ever perfect and yes people do and will say things that can hurt a person. A person also can, in time, forgive another.
So no matter who is using or saying the N word or racist remarks, don't engage them because it won't stop or that's exactly what they wanted you to do. You can leave or if online, use the mute option. It takes a bigger person to make the hardest choice but that choice is yours to make. Whether it be good, bad, right or wrong, only you can decide that.

Let's hope the world gets a little better and brighter with our choices.

As for the N word. My take is this. If black people wouldn't have used to it so much when talking with each other than white kids would have never used it n it wouldn't have become such a cultural thing. But those things did and has happened.

Lots of white kids used the word to look cool either in front of friends or black people. Some could get away with it but most can't.
Nowadays all kids are saying it.

My thing is to realize that it does promote hate. Don't be that person that goes down that road. It's a lot easier to hate than to forgive/show love. No one is ever perfect and yes people do and will say things that can hurt a person. A person also can, in time, forgive another.
So no matter who is using or saying the N word or racist remarks, don't engage them because it won't stop or that's exactly what they wanted you to do. You can leave or if online, use the mute option. It takes a bigger person to make the hardest choice but that choice is yours to make. Whether it be good, bad, right or wrong, only you can decide that.

Let's hope the world gets a little better and brighter with our choices.
And then you have the R word... racist. Which is basically the N word for white people. The root ideology behind the sentiments regarding the nature of white people as supposed by poc is that they are racist inherently. That it is not a learned behavior or perspective, but rather a genetic predisposition. Specifically, feelings of racial superiority and enmity with others. It is this belief and perhaps even truth that is fueling nearly all of the social discord on earth. Even places where there are little to no white people.

Back