Intel's Ivy Bridge CPU lineup revealed in leaked slides

Leeky

Intel has been busy as of late, with its new Sandy Bridge Extreme LGA-2011 platform launched two weeks ago, and the i7 Core 3960X taking the crown from the previous generation Core i7 980X as the fastest desktop processor available. The result was a foregone conclusion, given AMD's less than impressive top-of-the-line eight core "Bulldozer" FX-8150 performance when pitted against what are arguably two of Intel's best products in recent years -- the i5 Core 2500K and i7 Core 2600K.

With the Sandy Bridge Extreme launch out of the way, attention has now turned to the upcoming 22nm Ivy Bridge line-up, with full details of the entire i5 and i7 model lineup recently surfacing at CPU World.

Eleven new models are listed, covering the i5 and i7 range for mobile and desktop products. According to the site, the Ivy Bridge Core i7 family will feature 77, 65 and 45 Watt power envelopes, which correspond to suffix/"K", "S" and "T" processor numbers respectively. These are detailed in the charts below:

intel ivy bridge cpu ivy bridge cpu announced

If the information above is correct, then it appears that most of the Ivy Bridge i5 processors will continue on from Sandy Bridge offering four physical cores, 6MB of L3 cache and no hyper-threading, except for the i5 3470T which is a dual core unit with two hyper-threaded cores.

Moving on to the i7 range, it appears they will continue in much the same way at their Sandy Bridge counterparts, running four physical cores with hyper-threading support, and 2MB more cache available. The new range topping Ivy Bridge part will launch as the i7 3770K, fully unlocked with a 3.5GHz clock speed, where as the "non-K" designated i7 3770 drops down 100MHz to 3.4GHz.

Therefore, in total consumers should see two unlocked, three mainstream, three mid-power level processors and three low power models which presumably will find their way into notebooks on the market once released -- with current estimates hinting at a launch date around April 2012.

Permalink to story.

Just an addition- the suffix denotes model segment:

K = Unlocked multiplier (binned for maximum headroom under the max. TDP of 77w)
S = Optimized for lower power (65w) while still retaining high clocks.
T = Optimized for low power (45w) at the expense of clock speed.

[Source: Intel]

Oh, and I'll just leave this here for when IB launches and the trolls start howling about Intel falling short of performance promises...
Intel's stance on Ivy Bridge is directed at power saving, and by extension, "proof of concept" for the use of 3-D transistors in CPU manufacturing. As IB is pretty much just an optical shrink of Sandy Bridge, you could expect either higher clocks or lower power usage....Intel are concentrating on the latter. Most literature at this time points to a minimal (probably <5%) increase in IPC given the product positioning. (28 Nov, 2011 at 19:51 GMT/UTC)

Looks like Intel let off the gas when AMD didn't contend.
Now Ivy Bridge looks like its just another bump in the frequency.

How dissapointing.
Great architecture though.

Now Ivy Bridge looks like its just another bump in the frequency.
Not really...and a 20% lower TDP ( 2.6G @ 1 volt from an ES doesn't look too bad)...and a maximum multiplier raised from 57 to 63
How dissapointing.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
DBz don't feed the trolls!
Don't sweat it. A bookmark here is to forestall the arguments come April. This thread won't attract the idi0ts in any great number- not compared with launch day..and the post here will work just as well to link back to from enthusiast forums that get carpet bombed whenever Santa Clara has a party. TS tends to have a short thread life. On other forums where a launch thread encompasses µarch, user reviews and benches it can be frustrating wading through pages of dross trying to follow a decent debate.

So basically... My i7 2600K is still going to be awesome? Not worth the upgrade just yet?

So basically... My i7 2600K is still going to be awesome?
Yes
Not worth the upgrade just yet?
No

The CPU's are just the same thing using less power. They might promise better overclockability but that's yet to be shown.
The bigger news is that IB is functional on Gigabyte's Z68 board, so anyone planning to upgrade ( LGA775 users or defectors from camp green) should have good options in existing boards rather than having to fork out for a Z77 (which offers the same functionality)

Those are impressive speeds considering the TDP. 77w for the top performer is incredible. I wonder what initial pricing is going to look like..........something along the lines of SB I'd assume.

Ivy should be backwards compatible not just with Z68 boards but with P67 boards too. I hope these overclock to at least 5.5ghz, or it's not really a worthwhile upgrade for anyone with a 2500k/2600k. Either way, historically Intel's refreshes have been unexciting. The next big jump will be Haswell in 2013. The ability to run 3 displays off HD4000 is cool though.

i thought they said that ivy bridge was going to give a 20% performance boost clock for clock compared to sandy bridge or is that compared to Lynnfield?

i thought they said that ivy bridge was going to give a 20% performance boost clock for clock compared to sandy bridge or is that compared to Lynnfield?
The slides were actually ~18%, and the number is related to performance at the same power demand (i.e. wattage being equal, or the TDP difference in the same clocks* ) i.e.:
2700K = 4C/8T, 8MB L3, 3.5GHz/3.9GHz turbo, 95 watts
3770K = 4C/8T, 8MB L3, 3.5GHz/3.9GHz turbo, 77 watts (18.9% lower than 2700K)

Some sites also extrapolated the 20% from the difference in transistor count or any other metric including CPU+graphics

dividebyzero said:
So basically... My i7 2600K is still going to be awesome?
Yes
Not worth the upgrade just yet?
No

The CPU's are just the same thing using less power. They might promise better overclockability but that's yet to be shown.
The bigger news is that IB is functional on Gigabyte's Z68 board, so anyone planning to upgrade ( LGA775 users or defectors from camp green) should have good options in existing boards rather than having to fork out for a Z77 (which offers the same functionality)

Thanks for the Answers DBZ, Glad to hear I won't need to upgrade for a while yet to come :)

Guest said:
desktop killer?

"desktop killer?"
"desktop processor"
"desktop"

uhh.......lol, probably not this generation, even the lowest TDP chips are still much more power hungry than the ARM chips in most tablets, but I'd say probably with the next shrink after haswell we might see the super low voltage chips needed to enable desktop levels of performance with acceptable (for a tablet) battery life of 6+hrs.

"i thought they said that ivy bridge was going to give a 20% performance boost clock for clock compared to sandy bridge or is that compared to Lynnfield? "

"The slides were actually ~18%",

OMG 2% off!
Watch out, you might be trollin!
Seriously dividebyzero get a life.

Where are the 8 cores? And if they are staying at 4 or 6 cores then I want some 4Ghz stock speeds!

Hello my enthusiastic friends,
it was always clear that the Ivy Bridge release would do little for the Desktop Community and you are perfectely "in" and you will stay another 18 month in the sweet-spot with your Sandy Bridge processor.
However to say there is no performance increase in the i7 3770 is not true! It will deliver a 30% better performance in Video encoding mode.

The real impact Ivy Bridge will make is on the Notebook front, lower power use for once, but really it will be possible now to make do without a dedicated graphics card and still get some fun out of the machine. The added support for ultra high definition video display & edit options (RED Camera) in the onboard GPU are truly owesome.
cheers Bo

Hello guys I am really excited about future technology of our Computers I am very happy to know that Intel is making Ivy bridge & I hope it will be fast & furious & also less heating & power consuming..... I am going to make my computer in december 2012 around Christmas it will be with Intel Ivy Bridge Extreme & Nvidia Kepler GTX 680 (GK110) I guess this will be the high end gpu at that time its just my guess & I will put 16 GB of system ram DDR 3 1600 just super cool combo for high end gaming so Intel you should ready your Ivy Bridge Extreme CPU in december 2012 & you will have my money no doubt :D

Guest said: Intel you should ready your Ivy Bridge Extreme CPU in december 2012 & you will have my money no doubt :D

I'm guessing even if they don't wait until Dec 2012 they'll still have your money anyway...just saying.

Back