Intel's new Beast Canyon NUC can accommodate a full-size graphics card

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's take: Intel’s latest NUC (Next Unit of Computing), the very one it teased at Computex 2021 not all that long ago, is available to pre-order via Simply NUC. You'll want to bring your own discrete graphics card, however, as the company charges an unreasonable amount of money if you get one from them directly.

The small-form-factor machine starts at $1,300 which includes an Intel Core i7-1170B CPU, Intel UHD graphics, 8GB of DDR4 memory, a 256GB NVMe SSD and a 650W power supply. You’ll need to source your own graphics card if you want something more than the integrated solution, but the good news is that there’s room for a full-size discrete graphics card (up to an Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080) via the PCIe x16 slot. There’s also an x4 slot for add-in cards and the like.

Those wanting to start with a bit beefier base can opt for the $1,599 NUC11BTMI9, which gets you an Intel Core i9-1190KB processor.

Both configurations can be further customized with additional RAM (up to 64GB) and gobs of storage, should you need it. I’d recommend sourcing your own video card, as Simply NUC wants an extra $1,999 for an RTX 3070. I know high-end video cards are hard to come by, but two grand seems ridiculous. Surely that's an error, no?

Simply NUC expects to ship pre-ordered systems in September.

Permalink to story.

I like that it has a PCIe x4 slot which would be really cool for a capture card (an example use case) in addition to having the full sized GPU... but I don't like that the space the x4 slot takes doubles as the air duct for the CPU's cooling fan. Sure you have the three fans up top but with the daughter board on the bottom and things being sandwiched pretty tightly, if you want to exercise use of that x4 slot your CPU thermals are probably gonna take a significant hit.

I really like the concept of full PC in a pci-e card format concept, I just wished AMD would make one of these but it's probably a bit beyond their capabilities in terms of dedicating R&D to it when they have so many other product lines to take care of.

I dont think that it should be called a NUC at that size.

It’s all part of the Great American Brainwashing Campaign. Women’s size 14 is “normal”, your child is smart even though they can’t read or write, it must be small and compact because it’s called a NUC, even though it’s the size of a Volkswagen….now go save the earth in your electric car while China & India keep on truckin’…

It’s all part of the Great American Brainwashing Campaign. Women’s size 14 is “normal”, your child is smart even though they can’t read or write, it must be small and compact because it’s called a NUC, even though it’s the size of a Volkswagen….now go save the earth in your electric car while China & India keep on truckin’…
LOL!

Talking about women sizes, I simply cant understand the "Size zero" measurement.

Seriously, a zero?

It is wrong to call it NUC anymore. "Shuttle" is what such PC-s are called.

No, Shuttle never deserved that kind of Notoriety, when all their cases and motherboards were custom. The boring-as-all-get-out standard motherboards from them are the reason they abandon standard frormfactors (I owned a 565, and was unimpressed, so that's why got decimated by the Taiwan Big- four).

When you have issues with your motherboard compatibility, then yo have no other choice for custom board OEM, ,do you?

VIA At-least gifted us the ITX motherboard standard (without it, it wouldn't have sprouted an entire industry of standardized smaller boards, like Intel's new 4x4 NUC.)

https://portwell.com/products/NUC.php

That is the reason Shuttle has been mostly-forgotten.

This "Not Really a Nuc" case is just a Slightly smaller ripoff of a Cougar QBX, but with a much shorter graphics card allowance!:

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811553020?item=N82E16811553020&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googleadwords-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwords-pc-_-pla-_-cases+(computer+cases+-+atx+form)-_-N82E16811553020&gclid=CjwKCAjwruSHBhAtEiwA_qCppv_AKUhohsFvEVCOS6J5IXTWvMn8hi3wFIFeJDH3TnAodE_2s9fQHxoCdK0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

You'd have to be nuts to pay the usual Nuc Premium for something that large (could build those base spes for around $600, including QBX)

Last edited:
They also had to install two Kuznetsov NK-12s as cooling fans to accommodate said "full-size graphics card" in that little 8L case:
300px-Antonov_An-22A_on_the_MAKS-2009_%2804%29.jpg

Last edited:
They also had to install two Kuznetsov NK-12s as cooling fans to accommodate said "full-size graphics card" in that little 8L case:
300px-Antonov_An-22A_on_the_MAKS-2009_%2804%29.jpg
That does bring memories!

I had one of these bad boys in a Shuttle XPC ( I was hooked on those Shuttles!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back