Interested in duel boot

I recently bought a laptop with Windows 10 pro, and I'm wondering about how to install another OS. Also, any opinions on if it is worth it or not and what OS I should get.

My laptop has 6th gen i7 quadcore, 4tb duel hard drive and 16gb DDR3

You also have the option of using another OS with a program like VMWare Player which avoids dual boot problems. Dual booting is something else to go wrong and I've never tried it. Unless you have been computing for a long time and have some old favourites which just won't run properly in Windows 10 I think that it's not worthwhile for you to do this.

Dual Boot is all about the MBR (or UEFI) pointing to different partitions. You then control the partition content to effect the system that gets loaded.

upload_2015-10-26_9-9-33.jpeg

I bought a new SSD earlier. created a bootable USB of the Win7 system on the old HDD, using easeus todo backup. restore the system to the SSD, and upgrade it to Win 10. plug in the old HDD, and there got two systems. If you only got one hard drive in that laptop, just install another system on different partition like jobeard said above.

The suggestion of an SSD is a really good one. They really do make a massive difference. I don't know about the rest because I like to keep things as simple as possible. If you have Windows 10 I don't see any need for Windows 7 though.

Back